1:18 TOS Bridge/Display Build

PeteVenkman

Over the last little while I've been putting a lot of thought into displays for my props, toys and collectibles. The success with the Shadowbox I made recently gave me the inspiration on how to resurrect a long dead project with a fresh take. But the true inspiration to get off my butt and get crackin' was Atlanthia's fantastic bridge build for his DST figs.

I initially had the desire build a 1:18 scale bridge back in 2009 when I picked up the Playmates Galaxy Class figures. Being from Canada it was going to be impossible to collect all the consoles needed to fill out the bridge playset as they were not included with the Canadian figures. Besides, I only wanted the core characters anyway as they were the closest thing to 3-3/4" TOS figures that we were going to get. So I did the best I could with what I had...

crew01_zps235bb4be.jpg

Not bad, but maybe not the most dignified I suppose. And it looked like Kirk was getting annoyed with Sulu's flagrant drunk driving...

crew02_zps67c02546.jpg

..and Spock's distraction.

crew03_zpsa9727d1f.jpg

So I decided to build a proper bridge. I got as far as Kirk's chair. And a communicator.

communicator02_zps5882e5b5.jpg

communicator03_zps447722da.jpg

build02_zps4ff65453.jpg

build03_zpse9912c93.jpg

build04_zps130b0e08.jpg

build05_zpse1b468b3.jpg

build06_zpsef6c1753.jpg

build07_zps62ab79ac.jpg

build09_zps110b5e49.jpg

build10_zpsb8b1996b.jpg

build11_zps093e15e9.jpg

build12_zps6675bee1.jpg

build13_zps9a190cab.jpg

build16_zps9b062634.jpg

pannels01_zps22e12167.jpg

pannels03_zps100c385f.jpg

primer01_zps642507b1.jpg

finished01_zps7a29aa68.jpg

finished02_zps4eb1a717.jpg

finished03_zps29e1f2d6.jpg

finished04_zps9c5646dd.jpg

finished05_zps429c70d1.jpg

crew05_zpsd46c22cc.jpg

Flash forward 4 years and I have started on the helm. Here is how much I managed to get done on the weekend.

helm01_zpsa3a5f443.jpg

helm02_zpsf96d1523.jpg

helm04_zps1b4cc91b.jpg

helm05_zps29038cfb.jpg

helm08_zpsc75e0074.jpg

helm09_zps33727083.jpg

helm11_zpsdb5e80b2.jpg

helm12_zps389b36fd.jpg

helm13_zps12458a1e.jpg

helm14_zps77bd8e78.jpg

I'll continue to post as I make progress.

Amazing work so far. That chair is stellar! Those Playmates figures aren't the best, but it is pretty nice that the scale matches so many other lines (Kirk vs. Han Solo!), and the small scale will make the finished product a far less insanely giant display. Looking forward to the updates.

Thank you, glorbes! I take that as high praise, your build is incredible. I fully agree that the Playmates figs aren't the best. I have a lot of other stuff in that scale, so it fits well as you mentioned. And you're not kidding when you said it won't take up as much room. These showed up in the mail today.

dstfigs_zps33233c65.jpg

After getting them out of the box my initial thought was, "Good Lord! They're HUGE!" A bridge in that scale must be a fair size. I have a new appreciation for the work you and Atlanthia have done, I tip my hat. For some reason I had imagined these being about the size of the Neca Evil Dead 2 line. Nope, they're bigger. Now the hunt for the McCoy and Sulu set begins.

. But the true inspiration to get off my butt and get crackin' was Atlanthia's fantastic bridge build for his DST figs.

Why do I always get he blame for everything!!?? :eek. :lol

Seriously though, how did I miss this???? Great build, PeteVenkman and it really takes me back to my build that I did for my 6 inch playmates figures, last year. I still mourn that build...

What are you using as plans, mate? It must be ludicrously fiddly working at that scale!!! I would love to see a shot with a rule to show the actual size of that superb little chair...

BTW, I love that darker grey you are using. It gives it a real sense of solidity. (airbrushed or "rattle cans"?)
I have subscribed and given this a five star rating, as I did with Glorbes, so,I can follow the build!

Excellent work!

Darren

Last edited:
I thought that this might interest you:

I took a couple of snaps to illustrate just how different the scales are that we have chosen to work in.

From left to right, this pic shows the 3.75 inch figures that you are using (1/18 scale), the 6 inch figures I used on my first bridge build (1/12 scale) and the 7.25 inch figures that Glorbes and I used on our last builds (1/10th scale).

20130302_131651_zpsee413d64.jpg

I personally think that the only "weak" figure in the 3.75 inch range is the Kirk figure. The rest look a lot like the actors that they represent and sufficiently like the original actors from the 60's. Personally, I would drop the Kirk figure and use the Captain Pike figure I am showing here, as I think it looks more like the original Kirk than The actual Kirk Figure..:lol

I also thought that I would put in one of the 7.25 inch Kirk in his chair, with a 3.75 inch figure for comparison because I think it helps people to fully grasp the ridiculously small scale that you are working in and achieving such incredible results!

20130302_131956_zps6ca1eeef.jpg

Hats off to you Mate, because I know what it is like modelling stuff for these figures. They are small enough to make them ideal for diorama building, due to their smaller size, but still large enough that you can't avoid all the detailing etc, as it would still all be clearly visible to the eye.
Incidentally, these are the figures I am using to "populate my 52.25 inch Eagle transporter build as they are so easily adaptable and cheap as chips to buy.
Anyway, update soon please! :)
Darren

P.s. Where on Earth did you find a McCoy in blue service uniform??? I only ever saw him in cadet uniform in this scale...
Have you been head swapping.....? :lol

Last edited:
I am so glad you found my tread, Atlanthia. Thank you very much for the compliments and encouragement. I am honoured. This is all your fault. :lol

For plans I am using the Revised U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge Blueprints by Michael McMaster and scaling them appropriately. Yeah, you are absolutely right, working in this scale can be a challenge because you can't fudge the details. Anything your eye doesn't pick up the macro lens does. But lucky for me I have a certain breed of insanity that compels me to make ridiculously tiny, highly detailed replicas. For example, take this miniature proton pack I started work on many a many a...

miniprotonpack_zps61a3fd0e.jpg

...and one with a quarter for scale before I primered it.
miniprotonpack02_zps2fed9882.jpg

Unfortunately it is too small for my mattel figures. I had scaled it to fit Sea Quest figures I was going to customize before Matty came out with theirs. I'll be making slightly larger ones for my Matty figs eventually.

The grey I used for the chair is Tamiya primer from a rattle can. I absolutely love that colour. I did just buy a new compressor for my airbrush a few months ago and plan to get back into playing with that.

You got me on the head swap, I got an extra Spock and switched them out with cadet McCoy. I also got a couple of Scotty's to make some generic red shirts.

Thank you so much for the photos showing the different scales. I wanted to do something similar because I was shocked at how big the DST figs are. Perfect, mate!

I'll be updating new pics later this weekend, I'll include one with a ruler beside the chair.

Cheers, Mate! I am watching your thread very closely as well.:thumbsup

They don't, CB. He's using the playmates Galaxy figures.

Playmates did a 1:18 scale ST TOS figures? I've always known Playmates ST figures to be that 5(?) inch size on up (as they did later lines with much bigger figures prior to Diamond Select).

Last edited:
You're absolutely right mate. Only the playmates figures used here are from the JJ Abraams Star Trek XI MOVE. They are about 3.75 inches if memory serves me correctly. If they only did a TOS set at this scale and of this quality, we would all buy a set...:unsure

It's actually 1/19 scale but we will let him off as he is doing such an awesome job. ;)

If they ever made proper TOS figs in this scale I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Here are a couple of pic to illustrate the scale difference as promised.
figscale_zps2cfeae34.jpg

figscale02_zpsd68d7944.jpg

That should give you a good idea of the scale difference. It's significant.

Thank you very much MB and brandomack! I'm glad you guys like the McKenzie brothers bridge. It's a beauty, eh?:thumbsup

Crackerjazz, thanks for the kind words. For the cushions I used milliput. It's great because the slower dry time gives you a chance to really shape it how you want it. And it smoothes out with water. I love the stuff.

I did manage to get some more work done tonight, not a lot but some. Pics tomorrow.

Hey guys, here's a quick update to show you the project is still moving. I've been working on Sulu's targeting scope. It still needs some more red putty and clean up work, but it's coming along.

targetingscope01_zps80a400b7.jpg

targetingscope02_zps5eed9dde.jpg

targetingscope03_zpsb3196a64.jpg

targetingscope04_zps3f436bb7.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back