1/144 RC U.S.S.Nimitz

People moving about would be cool, but hard to do. Maybe turning chopper rotors, elevators going up and down. Maybe working landing signal lights.

Also maybe include PA announcements with the sounds.
Rob, I would be happy with one elevator that Jim could put sounds to and the P.A. is exactly what I had in mind, however, where would I get such sounds ? Jim also suggested the sea wiz gun firing off with lights and sound which would be cool but I'm not sure they had that in 1980...I'll have to check .The landing signal lights, or fresnel lens, is in the works along witha new island. I have a different thread about mold making that I asked for advice and I since tried my hand at casting a small bubble window on the flight deck that i want to cast in clear so I can light that catapult officers room. Can't seem to find the clear resin.

Does it look like these?
aircraft-carrier-33.jpg

f9541437553eaf08d2c6e6eab828_grande.jpg

I wouldn't bother with casting, unless you're making several of them. Build the frame with strip styrene and make the windows from clear sheet. Vacforming would be even easier if you have one.

Does it look like these?
aircraft-carrier-33.jpg

f9541437553eaf08d2c6e6eab828_grande.jpg

I wouldn't bother with casting, unless you're making several of them. Build the frame with strip styrene and make the windows from clear sheet. Vacforming would be even easier if you have one.
Yes Rob ! Thats it exactly, and I already cast it but the nob at hobbyworld told me that the casting kit had clear resin in it and it doesnt. So I made a duplicate of the piece I already had ! How did you find these pictures ? I have such a hard time finding things because I don't know exactly what they are called. and I haven't got the hang of doing clear windows without them fogging up...I know that future is supposed to stop that but I haven't got it yet !

Rob, I can't believe there is a place to buy those sounds...I will have to go thru them all tomorrow....gotta crash for now. Thanks for your help !!!

Last edited:
...How did you find these pictures ? I have such a hard time finding things because I don't know exactly what they are called...

I just Googled "Aircraft carrier flight deck control dome", and "Aircraft carrier sounds" :lol

At the size you're working with, does the dome need to be hollow? If just a solid shape will work you can make it from clear acrylic. Get a piece of clear sheet the right thickness, cut it to shape, and paint clear green.

Great job on this. Final Countdown inspired me as well. I joined the Navy in 1982 and retired in 2002 because of this movie. Nimitz was the first of 7 carriers that I servered on. Enterprise was my last.
You said you were gonna light this??? You mentioned the center-line lights, but don't forget the ladder-line lights and the drop lights that come straight down off the flight deck on a virticle yellow beam. You can see this yellow drop-down beam on Robn1's "maneuvering Nimitz" pic. These lights are red and do not strobe chase like the white ones on the deck (only the center-line lights, not the ladder-line lights strobe)
The reason for the drop-down lights is to help the pilot at night for approach alignment. If he's off, the drop down lights look as if there is a 'kinck' in the center line. When lined up properly, there is a straight line of red into white. If you're gonna go all out, the foul lines (red and white) have smaller constant-on red lights.
Another tid bit for ya... all landing referance lights can only be see from the aft. Red Foul line lights can only be seen from forward.

Tracy

Last edited:
I just Googled "Aircraft carrier flight deck control dome", and "Aircraft carrier sounds" :lol

At the size you're working with, does the dome need to be hollow? If just a solid shape will work you can make it from clear acrylic. Get a piece of clear sheet the right thickness, cut it to shape, and paint clear green.
Rob...I have several of these that came with a F-14 model on the deck, so it had a piece of the flight deck , a tractor, and this dome. I already moled it and cast it, so I could put a small room with lights and people in there. My only problem is finding the clear resin now. I prefer to buy it in person rather than the internet just so there is no confusion and buying of the wrong thing.Heres a pic of what I have...I know my mold sucks/ it was my first one.The grey one is the original, the cream colored one is the resin. If you watched my video, you can see at the front of the ship, an original plastic one that I carefully cut out the windows. I planned to replace the windows, but I decieded to cast in clear instead and just paint the framework.

Great job on this. Final Countdown inspired me as well. I joined the Navy in 1982 and retired in 2002 because of this movie. Nimitz was the first of 7 carriers that I servered on. Enterprise was my last.
You said you were gonna light this??? You mentioned the center-line lights, but don't forget the ladder-line lights and the drop lights that come straight down off the flight deck on a virticle yellow beam. You can see this yellow drop-down beam on Robn1's "maneuvering Nimitz" pic. These lights are red and do not strobe chase like the white ones on the deck (only the center-line lights, not the ladder-line lights strobe)
The reason for the drop-down lights is to help the pilot at night for approach alignment. If he's off, the drop down lights look as if there is a 'kinck' in the center line. When lined up properly, there is a straight line of red into white. If you're gonna go all out, the foul lines (red and white) have smaller constant-on red lights.
Another tid bit for ya... all landing referance lights can only be see from the aft. Red Foul line lights can only be seen from forward.

Tracy
I can see I will be bothering you alot to help me get this right. I don't want anyone saying thats not how it was. In case you missed it, I posted earlier in this thread a video I posted on YouTube with the lights I have so far. it is a work in progress. I didn't forget the ladder, just haven't gotten there yet. Tring to build a new Island and Fresnel lens right now.

Yeah the guy at hobbyworld told me it was in the casting kit I bought but it wasn't. I'll have to order it. I hope its as crystal clear as they say ! Speaking of your phaser, I was wondering if you saw and or liked the new Star Trek movie ? I thought thet did a fantastic job with the story, the cast, even the effects.

Regular epoxy glue is kinda yellow, and can turn even more yellow over time. But the casting epoxy is very clear, it's used to make lenses and jewelry. There is clear polyurethane resin, but it's nasty stuff. You need a respirator to use it. The epoxy is much more friendly.

As for the new Star Trek, well that's OK, I still like you :lol

I hope you got your money back from Hobbyworld, that sucks!

Hi, ill look around. I would have to scan everything. All pics are before digital cameras. But ill see what i have.

Al
Thanks...I welcome all help,advice and critisism. Details are really what I need, maybe in the catwalks, and in the hanger bay, the island for sure, especially inside. I wish I had a floor plan for the island !

Last edited:
Incredible model. Awesome entry to the RPF. Love to see more images...
I thank you ! However...you sir do incredible work, I never saw finished pics of your deathstar. There is so much incredible work here I spend hours just looking and reading threads. I don't have many photos of the build, which incedentally started many years ago. Only a few polaroids, and the only existing pictures of her in the water have somehow vanished. I am about to procure new propellers from Saitek in the UK, and this spring I will make a better video with her in the water. I have a idea how to film a plane landing on the deck so we will see if I'm the genious I think I am ...hahaha.:rolleyes I also posted on one of your threads about making water/ocean for diorama....how did that go ?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back