1/144 RC U.S.S.Nimitz

First off, amazing build, amazing patience and attention to detail!

As for the lights - a lot of PIC programmers use "flashing light sequences" as a basic introductory lesson. If you are willing to splash a little time and cash (I'm guess around $50 USD for a PICkit3 programming unit these days?) then you can make your own - the components themselves should be fairly cheap. You can tweak it to work however you like and It also leads to developing some useful electronics skills for modellers!

Oh, and as for the ship in a bottle - it might not be completely out of reach if you're happy to use a material other than glass...

Thanks Rogue ! I have Hyperdyne looking into building a board for me, but it would be useful to learn it myself. And I was thinking more on the lines on plexi but it's so big and you really dont want to see ant seams on the halves so if you want to share an idea...I'm listening.

Last edited:
Hey guys....I know it's been a while. I was working with Jim/aka HYPERDYNE on making a circuit to run the chase lights on the flight deck. after working two straight weekends in a row, all day every day....I finally got her good enough to show progress. It's not perfect, some lights went out already, and one is misplaced but you'll see the great work Jim did with my chase lights....THANKS JIM !!! For the rest of you...I welcome your comments and critisism . I made this crude video and uploaded it on my YouTube channel ...I hope you will all watch it, like it and comment on it on YouTube as well as here...Thanks C.V.N 68 U.S.S.Nimitz - YouTube

Thanks for looking guys ! I'm working on building a new island super structure with lights and windows, and lighting the 68 on the sides....could be a while !

Favorite scene by a long shot! Still thrilling after all these years.

Doug

I love that scene :D
TheFinalCountdown-1980HDavi_snapshot_004718_20111110_015713.jpg

TheFinalCountdown-1980HDavi_snapshot_004718_20111110_015729.jpg

TheFinalCountdown-1980HDavi_snapshot_004726_20111110_015829.jpg

TheFinalCountdown-1980HDavi_snapshot_004729_20111110_015856.jpg

TheFinalCountdown-1980HDavi_snapshot_004738_20111110_020044.jpg

TheFinalCountdown-1980HDavi_snapshot_004824_20111110_015547.jpg

Anthony...I have different planes configured for landing with the flaps and tail hook sdown that interchange and are suspended with a wire about 8" behind and 4" above the rear of the ship with landing lights and LED's for engines. Currently a F-14 Tomcat, A7-E Corsair, E2 Hawkeye, and a A6-E intruder. I would also like to get the rotors turning on one of my SH-3 Sea King helo's.

I would like to ask all of you for ideas and ask your friends for idea's on how to get some kind of motion on the deck to help bring her to life as she's afloat. Jim at Hyperdyne was kind enough to help me achieve the chase lighting that has eluded me for years, thus helping bring my ship to a higher level of realism.He also suggested that I add a sound card and I want your ideas and opinions. I can'yt really see sounds without motion, ie: catapult sounds without a plane taking off.But I know my imagination is not what it used to be, so I need your input. I thank you all in advance, I know some of you will have some great ideas !I wish I could update this more often, unfortunately, progress is slow, and my buget is almost non existent. I also just don't have the skils that some of you have....but I still keep trying !

Glad you like the lights.

I threw out the idea of maybe an all-hands ship alarm, maybe sounds of some cat shots of planes using a small smoke generator to emulate steam.

Maybe some phalanx noises with flickering gun lights.

Glad you like the lights.

I threw out the idea of maybe an all-hands ship alarm, maybe sounds of some cat shots of planes using a small smoke generator to emulate steam.

Maybe some phalanx noises with flickering gun lights.
Thanks Jim...did you see the video ?How did you like the progress so far ? I want to see what ideas everyone here can come up with and see if anything "floats my boat " hahaha.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back