1/144 Blockade Runner scratch build

It was definitely smaller than it had been depicted before but the one at the base in ROS was a real set piece. I got to visit it and it was the most mind blowing thing I've ever seen. It was like standing under an Boeing 747. :)
You are so lucky! Or well connected. I would have loved to see that thing in person.

I brought this ship to a couple of shows late last year. I am always worried about whether the paint job will hold up well in different lighting conditions. Thankfully, both shows had reasonably good lighting. Here are a couple of shots. At the first show, the ship didn’t place because the judges complained that I didn’t put glass in the bridge window. I tried to explain that not all scifi ships use glass, some use force shield technology. No convincing old school modelers though. :)
She had better luck at the second show - she won best of show there.

D80ED4E3-CA8F-4CA4-8EF5-88D4F5257B34.jpeg

E2C6B55A-3D0E-4C1F-B1AA-406C00D6896F.jpeg

I checked my greeblies inventory today and found that I have bought 5 1/144 milli falcon over the past few years. I get them whenever I see them going for cheap on ebay. All of them have missing parts that went into my two builds. So non of the kits are complete. In all these time, I have not ever built a complete falcon!

View attachment 1467775
Kind of fitting that the Falcon(s) are being scavenged for the runner - considering the Runner was the Falcon originally... kind of poetic :D.

As for those old school Judges - Next time tell them (the truth) that the original SW models did not have any glass in the because it reflected too much light and caught too much of the blue form the FX Screens... If it was good enough for ILM it should be good enough for them... They will still likely poo poo you - but at least you schooled them. I've found many "regular" model shows discount sci-fi subjects as amatureish... screw them!

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
As for those old school Judges - Next time tell them (the truth) that the original SW models did not have any glass in the because it reflected too much light and caught too much of the blue form the FX Screens... If it was good enough for ILM it should be good enough for them... They will still likely poo poo you - but at least you schooled them. I've found many "regular" model shows discount sci-fi subjects as amatureish... screw them!

Thanks everyone for the congrat notes. I really hope to meet some of you in person at a show this year.

Dade, I appreciate your sentiments. I get some of the ‘scifi = amateur’ vibes at a couple of shows too. I go to shows mostly for the positive interactions with like-minded modelers. The IPMS has specific rules by which they do judging with. Canopy conditions are described in the rules, so I can understand where the judges are coming from. It was still great attending the show, despite being disqualified.

Absolutely gorgeous model!. You have impeccable skills with styrene, just amazed how good this Blockade Runner looks!.
Well done sir...top job!.

Stu

blood sweat and tears got me onto that set! I've authored a couple of Star Wars books (just craft books not fiction) and managed to get an invite. I teared up when I saw it. They even let me have a photo
Wow! I checked out your books! Your papercrafts are fantastic! I think I will get a book for my 10 year old to work on. And I am very glad you got to see the set. The weathering on that ship is really quite something. I wish I had a chance to see it. I wonder whether it was dismantled or still sitting somewhere in a warehouse.

Wow! I checked out your books! Your papercrafts are fantastic! I think I will get a book for my 10 year old to work on. And I am very glad you got to see the set. The weathering on that ship is really quite something. I wish I had a chance to see it. I wonder whether it was dismantled or still sitting somewhere in a warehouse.
that's very kind of you. I hope they enjoy it! I suspect the set was completely dismantled and destroyed... I'll ask my friend though. He's was (primarily) a character concept artist for the trilogy. He might know.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back