1/12th Scale Rancor Resin Printed

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

korben44

Sr Member
Is this the model you used ?

following :)
Yes it is. Which is a scan of the AMT/Ertl resin kit.

I started work on seam, gap, and hole filling. Plus a reference **** with a 1/12th scale Luke and Yoda.
PSX_20211014_124416.jpg
PSX_20211014_124352.jpg

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

korben44

Sr Member
Nearly finished with filling seams and holes... But before I finished, I wanted to show my process for cooking seams.

To start, here's what I use:
PXL_20211017_165800801.jpg

Water is your best friend when using superfine Milliput. I knead it into a ball. Then I'll roll it out into a long rope. My tool of choice to help sculp is at the bottom of the above picture.

Always keep a little water on the Milliput to allow you to work on it longer without it drying out and getting too sticky.

I'll wrap the 'rope' around the seam like this:
PXL_20211017_165813336.jpg
PXL_20211017_165911198.jpg

Once in place, I'll dip my finger in some water and smooth out the Milliput a little bit.
PXL_20211017_165930903.jpg

After that, I'll use the sculpt tool to blend the edges and add detail to make it look, well, seamless.
PXL_20211017_170052926.jpg
PXL_20211017_170426096.jpg

korben44

Sr Member
The painting process has begun. As I wait for some Milliput to dry, I've put down primer on most of the model. On top of that is a layer of an earth tone acrylic paint. On top of that is the first layer of oil paint in the color of ochre. Over the ochre and used as the first stage of blending is burnt umber, also an oil paint. I'll continue this process in order to cover the whole Rancor.
PSX_20211018_144359.jpg
PSX_20211018_144421.jpg

gedmac66

Sr Member
Terrific start Kris !...., are you using any source material for the paintwork, or just going with your gut instinct?
Asking ‘cause your mum & sis are pretty talented too when it comes to throwing the paint around !;)(y)

korben44

Sr Member
Terrific start Kris !...., are you using any source material for the paintwork, or just going with your gut instinct?
Asking ‘cause your mum & sis are pretty talented too when it comes to throwing the paint around !;)(y)
I'm going mostly from memory... But I am re-watching Return of the Jedi for reference :) ...my mom and sister are much more talented with painting... but they do inspire me to do my best work. And much like my podracer, I'll be going all-in on detailing this miniature beast.

korben44

Sr Member
Love the look of the skin. I also like the slight glossy effect
That's mostly from the wet oil paints.. Lol... I do like it as well, so I'll be adding that with a clear coat semi gloss.

I wanted to show more of my process for getting the paint down on this giant... In the picture below, you can see the first layer of ochre oil paint that I put down on top of the earth tone acrylic paint. I'm currently going over the whole model with burnt umber oil that is slightly thinned out with mineral spirits. This allows me to blend the oil paints on top of the acrylic base. This is all on top of a lacquer primer from Mr Hobby... Mr Surfacer 1500 black. Best primer out there.
PSX_20211022_105147.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.