1/12 Black Series First Order Tie Fighter Conversion!

It's surprisingly light in there with the bottom and top halves together so you do see some nice detail looking through the front and from the top. The glass panels will be crystal clear plastic so should be enough to notice the work that has gone in to the interior.

I managed to spray in the black so can start on the scuffed metal area's throughout the interior and will add in some other detail to the screens and upper area's. Once all the interior painting is completed I will add in the pilot, sculpt the seat belts and will seal the dome.

As for lighting, I test fitted and turned on. The detail is not lost due to the power of the LED's/Fibre Optics. More detail will also be visible as I highlight the raised edges:-

Attachments

• RPF3.jpg
    RPF3.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 439
  • RPF2.jpg
    RPF2.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 359
  • RPF1.jpg
    RPF1.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 436
Super work there, I also got me a 12" for X-Mass and its SOOOO HUGE, the discussion about the side panels are for sure valid and the edges are pretty "wobbly". Still have to finish two other projects before even thinking about starting this but gonna watch your progress with great interest ;).

I couldn't stop my self so I took some pics and scanned this in :)

Scan.jpeg
Ejection Seat from "TFA The Visual Dictionary"

Scan 1.jpeg
Flight Controls from "TFA The Visual Dictionary"
I know that you said you are not planning a "screen accurate build" but anyhow :)

TIE COMPARISON.jpg
And I did a quick comparison to the Revel Snaptite Model I bought for my Classic Tie Fighter MOD...I needed the sound module.
I think the Side Panels don't need to be hugely modified, its the "Pre-charged deuterium power cells" that are to wide.

TIE COMPARISON SIDEPANEL.jpg
Did a quick and dirty Photoshop how it could look if you narrow the power cells down to a size similar to the Revell Tie...
Could sort a work or?
And here you can really see how Warped the Side panels are...

tie-fighter-special-forces-star-wars-the-force-awakens-spacecraft-cut-out-with-transparent-backg.png
Here is also a pic from what i think is a real CGI Model from ILM (could be wrong but I think thats what it is)
and as you can see those Power-cells are for sure narrower then on the 12"

Last edited:
Super work there, I also got me a 12" for X-Mass and its SOOOO HUGE, the discussion about the side panels are for sure valid and the edges are pretty "wobbly". Still have to finish two other projects before even thinking about starting this but gonna watch your progress with great interest ;).

I couldn't stop my self so I took some pics and scanned this in :)

View attachment 574661
Ejection Seat from "TFA The Visual Dictionary"

View attachment 574660
Flight Controls from "TFA The Visual Dictionary"
I know that you said you are not planning a "screen accurate build" but anyhow :)

View attachment 574662
And I did a quick comparison to the Revel Snaptite Model I bought for my Classic Tie Fighter MOD...I needed the sound module.
I think the Side Panels don't need to be hugely modified, its the "Pre-charged deuterium power cells" that are to wide.

View attachment 574666
Did a quick and dirty Photoshop how it could look if you narrow the power cells down to a size similar to the Revell Tie...
Could sort a work or?
And here you can really see how Warped the Side panels are...

View attachment 574667
Here is also a pic from what i think is a real CGI Model from ILM (could be wrong but I think thats what it is)
and as you can see those Power-cells are for sure narrower then on the 12"

Brilliant post, really helpful, so thanks for making the effort. I have always thought the solar panels were not far off! your photoshop proves the point. The reduction in size of thos cogs make a huge difference. I'll start with those first and see where we end up.

Thanks DanielB that is very helpful. plenty of mods still left to do, but I need to get that cockpit sealed first. before I can do that the interior needs weathering and pilot stuck in to position.

I have done some first stage weathering on the matt black paint. Once the whole cockpit is done, I will go through, toning any down with a thin black wash. The chipped and worn paint also brings to life the lighting which I tested.

First picture shows the tidying up around the lights after the coat of black. Once that was done it was on to the weathering which I am about half way through! Long job but I really believe all the effort now will show nicely once the cockpit is sealed and those lights are on.

Attachments

• PAINT1.jpg
    PAINT1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 387
  • PAINT2.jpg
    PAINT2.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 348
  • PAINT3.jpg
    PAINT3.jpg
    955.7 KB · Views: 289
  • PAINT4.jpg
    PAINT4.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 303
  • PAINT5.jpg
    PAINT5.jpg
    914.6 KB · Views: 301
Thanks for your comments.........yes those wings!! Will need some thinking through but I am a long way off those at the moment!

Right, finished the weathering, put pilot in, completed seat belts and fitted the cockpit and fuselage back together. The fit ended up ok, with obvious gaps to fill etc but a nice canvas to start modding!

I think I will start filling the gaps, adding some detail and then on to the front screen.

Attachments

• GLOBE1.jpg
    GLOBE1.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 278
  • GLOBE2.jpg
    GLOBE2.jpg
    979.6 KB · Views: 294
  • GLOBE3.jpg
    GLOBE3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 367
Right on to the lengthy and difficult main body mods. First off I shortened the front guns, and shifted them up before making those smaller caps seen on other models.These are temporary in place at the moment and need turning in, but that can come later.These guns house red LED's and softened the brightness with a ball of epoxy in the ends. I then filled the gaps and sanded smooth before removing the screw pegs. These will be filled with car body repair and also sanded smooth. I lowered the escape hatch which helps with the scale v wings issue. There is a lot of sanding but you just have to patient. The fuel cells will be shortened and modified revealing more of the main wing struts (hence getting rid of the screw pegs)

I also noticed that there are gaps in the wing struts so I will carve out the gaps here and tidy with styrene (internally)

Attachments

• BOD3.jpg
    BOD3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 165
  • BOD1.jpg
    BOD1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • BOD2.jpg
    BOD2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 206
  • BOD4.jpg
    BOD4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 258
Last edited:
I have managed to dremel out the gaps, add some styrene sheet to sharpen it up and bridge one side to another, rather than just have gaping holes. The screw plugs were then filled and sanded smooth before a light shot of primer to show the defects. The same has also been done on the rear and now I can see the little faults it will be a period of tidying up before cleaning and primer coat.

This part has been difficult and I had to do a bit of planning. You also need to be very careful with the dremel as this is the type of plastic that melts quickly so take your time if you plan to do one of these!! The primer has shown some air bubbles in the filler and very tiny crack in the join so I will fill and sand again with putty.

Attachments

• GAP1.jpg
    GAP1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • GAP2.jpg
    GAP2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
  • GAP3.jpg
    GAP3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • GAP4.jpg
    GAP4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • GAP5.jpg
    GAP5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 161
  • GAP6.jpg
    GAP6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
More bodywork completed, with the hatch and hinge coupler removed and sanded back in preparation for my scratch effort.

I managed to tidy it up and give a blast of primer to show all the defects. The tidying is a pain but if you are to get rid of any joints and have a good paint finish then it is a necessary evil! I keep seeing the od dent here and there and there is still some sanding back to do where I removed the screw pegs.

Lights are also working fine so I can concentrate on the hatch, final sanding and then the top and front screens.

Attachments

• FILL1.jpg
    FILL1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 215
  • FILL6.jpg
    FILL6.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 149
  • FILL3.jpg
    FILL3.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 153
  • FILL7.jpg
    FILL7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • FILL8.jpg
    FILL8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • FILL9.jpg
    FILL9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 164
  • FILL10.jpg
    FILL10.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 168
  • FILL11.jpg
    FILL11.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 338
I adore that this thing exists, and the mods you're doing are amazing. The scale of it is so insane, and the price means that it is pretty much a steal. I'm pretty sure my wife would murder me if I came home with it though, and with good reason. It practically needs its own room.

Main body mods are complete, with a fair bit of final tidying to do prior to painting. The hatch requires a scratch built rear hinge and front clip. The front screen will have the clear plastic sheets fitted prior to sealing in and modifying to the main body. Seam lines are now gone and lower guns need modification and installation. I scratch built most of the Antenna, its a bit different to some of the pics but I wanted it to look more like an antenna rather than a gun!! The next job is the heavy modification of the fuel cells which need to be narrowed in width and each one separated.......joy!!

Attachments

• fin1.jpg
    fin1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 176
  • fin2.jpg
    fin2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
  • fin3.jpg
    fin3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 228
  • fin4.jpg
    fin4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 227
  • fin5.jpg
    fin5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 167
Lower guns complete, just need to tudy up the ends and remove the odd mould line. Lights tested and everything is working well!! On to the cells now...gulp!

Attachments

• low3.jpg
    low3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 198
  • low2.jpg
    low2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
  • low1.jpg
    low1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 227

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back