1/1000 Polar Lights TOS Enterprise with lighting

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

modelerdave

Minor update. I got the new lights in from Evans Designs and they (a) fit great, and (b) look fantastic. I ordered the set for the other nacelle now that I know they will work.

The camera keeps blowing out the light but the effect in person is really great. the colors are pretty close to the actual studio model and the random flickering really looks good. I'll take a video once I have both assembled.

MuqNPwul.jpg

S110hF2l.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

modelerdave

I have purchased LEDs from Evans Design many times.

What type did you go with?
They are 1.8mm flickering LEDs in red, green, yellow, and orange. I asked Evans Designs to wire them all to a single resistor to save space and keep the resistor near the LEDs so I can tuck it away in the nacelle. It worked like a charm. I only ordered one set to see if it would fit but it's great, so a second set for the other nacelle is on the way.

modelerdave

Got a bit more work done.

This is the little bit of styrene I cut to insert the four LEDs for the Bussard collectors. Once I inserted the LEDs I super glued them to the styrene to hold them in place.

NYUMFOPl.jpg

The nacelles are glued together with the lighting in place. I'm very happy with how the lighting turned out for them, especially considering it's a home-grown solution.

VAzuQUQl.jpg

The seam on the nacelles. Ugh. They weren't terrible but I may be terrible at puttying and sanding. I think I finally got them to where I want them (mostly) but I also think I sanded them out of true round so I may have to reshape them a bit.

aT7ZeFll.jpg

lfYYvsCl.jpg

The mess of wires in the lower saucer. I did end up adding two white SMDs directly above the three little lights aiming directly down on each side of the saucer because they weren't getting enough light from reflection alone.

iIWNXadl.jpg

Light test. I will paint the bridge side lights with a dab of transparent red as a last step. I need to retest one of the solder joints but I should be able to seal the saucer halves together tonight and then work on the edge seam.

3S0rD6Ql.jpg

Saucer bottom. You can see the three small downward-facing portholes are now nice and bright.

zE4zysFl.jpg

And some saucer edge windows.

opuOKzHl.jpg

modelerdave

Slowly coming along.

Ugh. Saucer seam.
71NKghtl.jpg

More ugh. Pylon seams.
JGEoSKYl.jpg

bOm1qEdl.jpg

After quite a bit of putty, sanding, re-priming, sanding, etc., I finally have them just about done.
5zgq55al.jpg

Saucer is done with sanding. Tonight I am planning on adding the base coat using Tamiya's Sky Grey. Then clear coat and decals! I plan to have the saucer completely finished before final mounting on the neck.
ArHIMsnl.jpg

Quick test fit. The pylon and secondary hull spine seam are going to be a pain. The pylons and nacelles are still in primer gray. The secondary hull is in what will be the final gray color.

I will also be adding one more LED into the base of the neck to light those windows. I'm concerned there's not enough reflective light from the secondary hull to light them properly.
EO1VdQPl.jpg

That's it for now!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.