1/1 Yoda bust from Howard Studios

streetjudge79

Master Member
I actually handpainted this little guy and for the first time did not use an airbrush. I might add a little more hair to him, what do you think? Yoda was a PLEASURE to paint, the fabric casting on the costume was super nice. I absolutely love this piece and it's Howard's best sculpt to date I think.
If anyone wants me to paint of of these, I'll give them a special, I usually charge $150 per job but this guy is a little smaller so $ 120 gets him painted. That does not include me cutting the eyes out. Just the paint job.
yoda5.jpg

yoda6.jpg

yoda8.jpg

y1.jpg

y2.jpg

I would say that the hair is about right, I think it looks good and the eyes feel very realistic - are those glass eyes?

The paint job is pretty good, however, isn't the green a little pale - bordering on turquoise, or is that just the lighting causing that effect? Though, the sheen on the face seems very life-like, with this slight shine, yet not glossy. Excellent.

I really like the bust and you did a wonderful job on it.

Cheers.

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Jan 30 2006, 01:57 PM
I would say that the hair is about right, I think it looks good and the eyes feel very realistic - are those glass eyes?

The paint job is pretty good, however, isn't the green a little pale - bordering on turquoise, or is that just the lighting causing that effect?  Though, the sheen on the face seems very life-like, with this slight shine, yet not glossy.  Excellent.

I really like the bust and you did a wonderful job on it.

Cheers.
[snapback]1171687[/snapback]​

IMO I think the green is pretty darn close. In screen-grabs from ESB, he does look quite pale (could be that heavy white studio lighting). Looks like Steve's got a touch of blue in there too...

A good way to make a Yoda paint-job go south fast is to make the green too rich...

It's the flash, it washes out a little of the color making him look paler. Until I go to photography school and get the right set up, my photos will will wash out the color to some degree. I'll try taking him outside for natural light pics. The eyes are glass eyes from schoeffer's. Hazel green 28mm.

Originally posted by streetjudge79@Jan 30 2006, 02:03 PM
I took your advice Howard and backed up and used the zoom. This way no distortions.
[snapback]1171700[/snapback]​

That's the way to go. You should try lighting it better in the room and try some photos without the flash... when lighting a piece you should have a light on the right and left of the piece, usually with one stronger than the other ;)

H

Awesome job. The 3rd picture in your 1st post kinda creeps me out a little. It looks like he's looking right at me.

Great photos. They really bring out the awesome paint job you did on this piece.
Any hints on what you used for the hair and how you applied it?

Pharchivist helped me with the hair, it's crepe hair I believe. I just cut it, and glued it down with elmers white glue.. Pretty easy. After it dries, you can adjust the hair by plucking the excess out or just simply re arranging it.

Without the slightest bit of doubt, that is by and far the BEST Yoda I have ever seen, it looks stunning, flawless. What a fantastic representation, I'd love to have one like that in my collection.

Very nice job, bud.. I really like the latest photos, makes it look more "alive". :) The more I see these the more I want one.

Great work.
-B89. :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back