1:1 Stargate Life Size Replica! - "Too big?" Throwback to July 2022

without a flat floor we can’t take precise measurements to level everything correctly.
technically you can. But it's clear your working conditions are not good for you or the project. Back when I was younger I worked with my dad on steel yacht construction. At the time he still had a sloped compacted dirt floor. We had a long clear hose about 2 to 3 cm ID. Clamp (without crushing the hose) one end to your datum with a clear indicator of the level on the part and hose. At the time os taking measurement we would clamp the other end to the location we wanted to set to match the datum. Extra ends need to extend up above the datum. Then using a detergent and water mix with some dye we would pour it in and allow it to settle with no bubbles. Once we had the liquid level reach the datum, the other ends water level would match the datum. It takes care to make sure that the entire thing is all at even temperature, so no sun shining on it, no fans pointed at any of it etc. Care to make sure that the liquid is flowing smoothly. Make sure you measure from the same point on the viscus edge. we used the top edge as it was more clear. You have to keep your wits about you to pot issues and errors but we could quite accurate horizontal alignments. It might not be as accurate as you need but it's always a good technique to keep in mind. If you can level a rotating laser which I've also worked around in ship building. They are not cheap but it isn't prohibitive to get a quality one that spins the mirror and has a built in level. Then you just have to make sure your footings on the ground are all stable.

Update 9 of ???? (I'll make a few of them in a row to be up to date).

Hello everyone !

I'm back and it will be one hell of an update ! I didn't share anything here for two and a half year, huh.

Note that this thread is the most complete depiction of this project we have out there. Quick recap from the start :
  • Goal was to build a SG-1 Stargate with spinning ring, lights, moving main chevron. Started in my garden in Switzerland.
  • Bought a piece of the original SG more than 10 years ago.
  • Attempted to make replicas of the other elements from scratch or part of casts of original owned by other people, was quite ok.
  • Had the opportunity to buy a complete section of the orignal SGC gate, did buy, bye bye my salary, hello pasta and rice.
  • Made a few fixes on the original elements, rebuilt some elements using 3D scans when they were too damaged.
  • Made the silicon molds and all the needed casts using urethane resins.
  • Contacted by random londonian guy working in a school making theater sets. Wanted to display a SGA gate for his finals.
  • Said ok, he'd make the structural elements and his peers would make the lights and paint.
  • Presented the SGA version in 2019 in London, only for three days.
  • Back to Geneva, removed the blue paint to use the sections for the SG-1 gate, was hard and painful. Noticed the aluminium structure that was made by professionals had a lot of defects which was a problem to design the rotation system. Tried our best, but was impossible without a flat ground (still working in the garden).
  • COVID + depression led to let the whole thing rot outside during one year.
  • Last time I asked if anyone had an idea to reshape the resin casts, but as it was urethane + epoxy it was not that much possible.
Was it the end ? Did we loose 10 years of work ? :eek:

Let's find out ! Please wear your seatbelts, it will be a bumpy ride, and it will be AWESOME ! :cool:

Back to end of 2021 then... *FSHCFSCHFHSCHGSHHFS* (flashback sound).

Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

So, where was I?
Oh yeah, panels destroyed, mostly because we had nowhere to work correctly. So, no tools, no money, no panels, no place to work... lots of tears.

I'm sure you thought I'd be done with this hellish project, didn't you?

Well, let's say, as the phoenix, once again it rose from its ashes.

First we found a place to work, one and a half hour from the original garden (my garden, not the one from the bible). Free, if not for a few fees for the electricity and water, in a beautiful setting in Savoie in France with view on the Mont-Blanc. It also had enough beds for a group of people to come and help. So that's what we did.

241118323_2583925758420589_9216435847209076340_n.jpeg
241106560_2583925681753930_3826084092032539100_n.jpeg

We launched a Stargate summer camp in June, August and October. Most of the time we had around six people (not always the same), some became members of the EMG and have been working with us since then.

DSC00599-1080x540.jpeg
IMG_20220822_194950-1080x540.jpeg

We had to bring the parts in 4 times (no space in the car) lots of driving hours.

We started again by sanding the hell of chevrons parts, the raw casts were way less good than expected.

245903420_2623668381112993_8309319405440371240_n.jpeg
241035993_2583928778420287_353244000204185881_n.jpeg

As props making is 90% sanding, we also sanded the wood structure. Sun + rain attacked it even though it had been coated. We put 3 fresh coats of protecting coat.

Then we leveled the rotation tracks using a laser level FINALLY.

IMG_20210824_160006-1080x540.jpeg

We marked the real center of the gate using a construction prop (metal spacer). Based on this we reshaped the stracks to make two "perfect" circles.

241124604_2583931885086643_4105779013272220821_n.jpeg

With that done we were able to test a first prototype of a cart with a part of the glyphtrack and it did spin quite well !

IMG_20220709_195824-1080x540.jpeg

We removed the old inserts and installed the backpanels again, but they were still warped, so we tried to reshape the panels, but it didn't work.

239782048_2573167236163108_5110649820570628870_n.jpeg
241111834_2583931965086635_3832315923921869899_n.jpeg

A first reflexion on how to fix correctly the chevrons was designed.

IMG_20210822_121310-1080x540.jpeg

Also, we looked back at our electric / electronic system to decide how to update it.

In October we had to move in the same area to another building. As it was used to store a lot of things and whatnot for a complete hotel resort, it was a lot of work to empty it enough to get enough space to work.

249399766_2634502950029536_5991877774121340184_n.jpeg

This was year 2021 for us. What was great is that with those weeks of work, we were able to get a lot of attention and at last begin to build a real community around this project with a larger group of people. Most of this was recorded and live streamed.

Groupe-septembre-1080x540.png
IMG_3252-1080x540.jpeg

Then, in 2022, some strange date appeared on our social medias...

277763748_2773679232778573_791829413612220878_n.jpeg

But it's time for me to say "until next time". I hope you liked this update. I'll write next part as soon as I have time. It should be quite exciting. If you find this project interesting, please share your thoughts or even just two words to show your appreciation, it means a lot for us.

Cheers ! From us, to you,

The EMG Team.

IMG_20210624_213228-1080x540.jpeg

Last edited:
2022 - July

Let's continue from the announcement in April. Following the success of summer 2021, I decided it was time for the biggest event we made yet. Multiple members of our team worked on its announcement.

The goal was to make a video to motivate as many people as possible to come and help us during this summer. The catch was that we said "We WILL raise it together" which meant we had at least to make it stand at the end of August. More than that, we titled it "The Last Step", so we had to be able to show something big...

Matt (Eagle SG) made the video using the 3D model made by Bertrand (The Ant Replicas) which he himself had made from our orignal section using 3D scans, pictures and measurements, so a 100% accurate model. An original 3D model of a spaceship was also used at the end of the video.

244620332_2615621301917701_8404561134027420610_n.jpeg

244599955_2615621305251034_1275052506682978842_n.jpeg
244618291_2615621268584371_2036804448418297494_n.jpeg

Here is how it looked like.

We also created a website explaining the whole project : www.emg-team.com (now repurposed to show where we're at. It contains SPOILERS). We explained most of the elements we had to work on, how the event would go and displayed a table of how many people would be with us each day from the start of July to the end of August, which showed that there were people interested, hence reassuring anyone who may feel alone and hesitant when subscribing. We also announced there would be an event at the end to celebrate our work.

Of course the team said "We should split the ones knowing the best about the project during the two month of work" and of course I finally went myself during the whole two months and most of the team members who had been there for a long time came on the last weeks and for the event. :p

Anyway, I haven't been alone, actually the teaser worked really well ! About 60 people subscribed for the whole thing and a few of them for quite a lot of time. We had building painters, students set painters devs, students in computer science, video makers, students in biology, electricians, etc. Of course they came when they could, so their skill weren't always used as much as we wished. The first batch only worked on bondo and sanding, for the chevrons, again... but we were able to discuss a lot of themes and to prepare for the next steps and all this wonderful knowledge really helped us a lot.
One of them was a youtuber, who used the time he was there to make a series of videos about the project (here on the left) it's Laurent from the Dans Ton Film channel.

20220719_113151.jpg

While we were sanding the chevrons, we had to think about the panels themselves. As they were warped we took the hard decision to do this again. But to be sure everything would be ok and to gain a bit of time, we asked a professional to make them for us. The bad news was that he was quite far away and the time it took for us to confirm the order, he actually couldn't work for us directly anymore, so we had to wait to be able to work on the panels. I'll come to that.

279501371_2803432379803258_3203596964585742664_n.jpeg

Now that we had decided for the casts to be made by a workshop, we had to give them our molds. But new problem here. When we got them out, we noticed some of them were warped too... so we brought them anyway and asked for some test casts. The result wasn't great. I didnt' know what to do. New mold on the originals ? Again ? It seemed too much. Put the silicon skin back on the originals and make only the resin shell again ? It would never work, some parts being intricate geometric elements, for sure there would be bubble everywhere... So, not knowing what to do, we just went back to the workshop with the originals, to see... And by chance we really were able to put the silicon skin back on them! I was quite happy, but also a bit hangry that my certainty that it would work allowed us to loose some time again.

IMG-20220707-WA0006.jpg

Back at our own workshop, after we worked on the chevrons, we still had a lot of time to prepare everything except for the panels. The first group to arrive was some young computer science students. They all worked with Ian, who's our developer, and together they tried quite a lot of things to build the management system of the Gate. The idea was to work on how to trigger the sounds, lights, make the glyph-track spin and stop precisely depending on the symbols sent, be able to check and manage everything from an iPad or something similar, etc. They used RaspberryPi, barcode scanners, WiFi transeivers, Alexa and about any module for arduino you can think of in link with this project. We had already discussed a lot about the architecture of the system but they really went next level on this. Ian also made a few tests for AR with the gate for the activation and the event horizon.

IMG_20220713_194841.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.18.17.png

Of course after we moved in October 2021 we had to re-assemble the Gate. It took about one hour as there were no panels on it, which is way easier than with the panels on, and about one extra hour to level everything, because when you move up a part of the gate of course the parts that were already too high are going up too, but you still have parts too low and then the nightmare begins.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.04.14.png

Even though they were not really in shape, we still used the new test casts as references as we had to gain some time while waiting for the new panels. We also used some old panels, the less warped ones. We were starting to feel like we were only filling the waiting time, but we had to make the best of it!

Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.05.54.png

First we tried to finish the design for a way to fix the chevrons in place. That kind of build needs a lot of prototyping and designing before you can make anything. Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming. But we were able to model something out of wood that fitted between the structure and the panels, to be able to screw the elements of the chevrons in them. What we wanted was to use as much as possible metric screws and not wooden screws to avoid having to change those part frequently. The panels themselves should stay in place, only the chevron will be disassembled each time we use the Gate, but to be coherent we went for the same idea for the whole thing. I spare you the details, we went for so much prototypes for everything that I have no idea what they were anymore, but I'll do my best to explain what we kept at the end.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.05.19.png

We also started working on the lights. First we had to test some LEDs, I had a lot of different strips to test, we also tried COB. The original light was a R7S, the LEDs equivalents don't quite diffuse the light the same way. We tried different finish on the crystals to see how diffuse it would be at the end, we tried to add some diffusers between the source and the crystal, but there isn't that much space... We had also bought the drivers years ago, but we tried new ones anyway. We didn't really find what we were looking for, the COB was interesting, but we never found a driver with a nice curve for them. We decided to glue LED strips around an aluminium profile to mimic the R7S source as much as possible, that would be sufficient for now.

20220710_210541.jpg
Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.09.30.png
IMG_20220710_205823.jpg

We also made all the metal reflectors of the chevrons from the old turkey trays we used for the Atlantis Gate.

IMG_20220720_190155.jpg

Bonus picture : Here Ian says "I think it's a bit dull, maybe we need to add more power to it ?" and then "Ah, oops". :cool:

IMG_20220814_151647.jpg

We were still working on the design of the steel base at that time. I was still not convinced by the drawings I made (even though I made a bunch of versions during the years), but what I was sure of was where we would put the links between the circle and the base, in 3 places. We made the closest measurements possible and we modified the wood structure to allow space for these elements. Spoiler : We had to do this again later.

Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.10.33.png
Capture d’écran 2023-08-07 à 03.12.17.png

It seems like it was going ok for this part, but hey, August was already at our doors and we knew we wouldn't have the whole month to finish our work as we would have to prepare the event too. Actually at that time, it was decided that we would make a mini Stargate convention. It was beginning to become something bigger than we anticipated and we were clearly not ready. Would we be able to show the gate the way we wanted ? Was it a mistake to bet on this event to be the last time we worked on the Stargate to be able to bring more people to help us ?

You'll know in the next update. :D

But before it's too late, please note that we'll be LIVE and working on the Stargate starting the 11th of this month! You'll be able to see our work all day and to discuss with us if you want. The live will be in french, but we switch language as soon as someone speaks english. You can visit us on Youtube and on Twitch. The end should be around the 18th or the 20th.

Also, if you have any question, about how the original Stargate was made by the studios, how we designed some parts, etc. Don't hesitate to ask here! I'm trying to summarize based on what I remember, so I may have forgotten some important parts. I'd be happy to give your more details about anything. ;)

Cheers!

Oh, did we say we were from Switzerland? Time for some well deserved cheese fondue...

20220725_212523.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...le taf de dingueo_Oo_O:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy:
Oui c'est vraiment énorme et à chaque fois qu'on pense faire deux pas en avant en fait on en fait trois en arrière parce qu'on tombe sur un nouveau problème qu'on avait pas pris en compte. On vient de finir un séjour de une semaine là et on aurait voulu faire deux fois plus que ce que l'on a réalisé. On sait bien qu'on progresse mais parfois ça donne l'impression que ça va à l'envers. :cry: Mais on est très heureux de notre séjour qui s'est très bien passé. Je donnerai des nouvelles au plus vite, il me reste encore à finir de raconter le séjour de l'année dernière avant.

Yes, it's a hell of a thing to build. Each time we think we made two steps forward, we actually make three backward because we discover a new problem we didn't think about. We just finished a week of work and we wish we had been able to do two times what we made. We know there is progress but sometimes it feels it's going the wrong way. :) But we are really happy with this week, it was perfect. I'll give news asap, I still have to finish to tell about the session of last year before that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back