1:1 Scale Snowspeeder (T-47 Airspeeder) build.

Hi everyone, new here admiring the work. I was looking at some pictures from the Sidney STAR WARS Identities Exhibition of one of the used Snowspeeder models in the movie. It got me wondering about one thing.

The ring of "net-like" detail or series of small holes in the middle of the "fangs"? This is not present in any other replicas or models Ive seen elsewhere, regularly its a flat surface or horizontal "slices" on other models . Im kind of new examining details like this so maybe there is an obvious explanation but I thought it could be relevant to bring it up here.

Regards/Ed
(btw Im doing my first attempt to 3d model to later resin-print a t-47.)

View attachment 1650391
Hi Ed,
I have also seen this model and love it. Unfortunately the scale models had little details that varied from the full size prop. Then, the full size props had minor variations between each one built for the Echo Base set and then the one used in Finse (Norway). Have a look at my earlier post and you can see the actual laser cannon prop that came up for auction several years ago-doesn't match any of the scale model kits. For the purpose of my project i am building the full size prop version and not the kit versions. Welcome aboard.

Finally got started on the main body. Nailing and gluing. Some joins had to be thin with no packing so i have joined them with sheet metal and screws.

Where i could i have beveled the edges to make a strong join.

The glue used is and interior/exterior glue as i don't want to stress if the ship gets caught in rain. I want i relativity water proof.

1672701937045.jpeg

1672701954356.jpeg

1672701967700.jpeg

It's amazing how SMALL these ships really were, over what you think they would be size-wise in universe.

Not sure whatever happened to the full sized screen used snow speeder at the Disney MGM Studios back in the day. Sitting out in the hot Florida son and rainy weather certainly didn't help.

Hi Ed,
I have also seen this model and love it. Unfortunately the scale models had little details that varied from the full size prop. Then, the full size props had minor variations between each one built for the Echo Base set and then the one used in Finse (Norway). Have a look at my earlier post and you can see the actual laser cannon prop that came up for auction several years ago-doesn't match any of the scale model kits. For the purpose of my project i am building the full size prop version and not the kit versions. Welcome aboard.

Ok, i see, so there are variations between ships of the same "line" and also in this case, simply because of scale. Thanks for the clarification Im sure this is basic stuff for you guys but it had me wondering why it was like that for a good while, hehe.

Now i can carry on. Looking forward coming updates. Cheers

Last edited:
Big box completed! some serious angles to work out on this thing. The good news- i have been able to raise the front end so that it wont sit directly on the ground but slightly raised so i should be able to show the front skid now.
Commence the jokes about it looking like a coffin-and yes, i may yet get buried in this thing.

1673556130088.jpeg

1673556147529.jpeg

c) My wife says she can use it as a coffin for me. :lol::lol::lol: More like an immediate coffin for me, at the hand of my wife, if I decided to tackle this project. Excited to watch the progress and very jealous.

"For the record, I am joking. My wife is very supportive of my fascination with all things SW. 3 rooms dedicated props. I am just not sure how she would feel about me asking her to park outside so I can store a new spaceship."

Last edited:
It cant be a Snowspeeder without.......a winch/tow cable!

I think this would be a great accessory not to mention practical to get it on and off trailers.
12V system so i can easily connect to a car battery.

1674511530861.png

Some great progress in the last few weeks. I started thinking about the colors as i want to paint it as i go. This is a mental thing as it helps keep the project moving forward in terms of visually seeing progress.

Dulux has a range of greys. BUT, than looking at the Echo Base props these speeders actually look silver with heavy weathering. I dont like the idea of silver and the model SPFX version is certainly grey. AND then there is the Finse (Norway version) where Luke crashes in the snow. This one is not silver but sort of a dirty grey (See below).

As i like the Finse version the most i have gone with the Dulux colour named Ancient Ruin. I got a test pot and had it mixed with a ceiling paint base which makes it matt. The test area worked well in terms of the paint adhering to the PVC surface. So this is the base coat before weathering.

1674954812581.png

1674954992337.jpeg

Absolutely butchered the rear cockpit section. Too many angles. Trapezoids to be precise. I completed this section then just was not happy with it. You can see in the following image where i had to modify it to get the rear angle correct. I had to cut the the entire rear secrtion and increase the angle.

I have also used a router to cut out the window edges so i can sit the perspex windows in from the inside.

1674955372730.jpeg

Holy sheet! the sheeting has begun. A variation on the model kits is the front vent/detail part. On most kits this area lacks detail and could easily just be mesh but i like the detail in the echo base version so i have copied that. I will be cutting some 2000grit sand paper for the horizontal details as this appear to be some sort of textured finish on the prop.

1674955662156.jpeg

1674955683967.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back