1:1 Scale Snowspeeder (T-47 Airspeeder) build.

Bottles arrived! there is only a photo showing two of these in the copilot seat starboard side however all the models available show a matching pair on the port side. I will still be continuing with making the interior details before the main body of the ship.

1665011016647.jpeg

Bottles arrived! there is only a photo showing two of these in the copilot seat starboard side however all the models available show a matching pair on the port side. I will still be continuing with making the interior details before the main body of the ship.

View attachment 1624014
those look like the same bottles used in the Sandtrooper backpacks... my guess is they are.

those look like the same bottles used in the Sandtrooper backpacks... my guess is they are.
Correct. The original 70's version was named 'Safari Giostyle' and commands top dollar. The Lion Star/Hunter version appears to have used the same mold but much cheaper as they are still being made in Asia. A happy compromise.

Congrats on the bottle purchase!

They remind me of a bottle that came with a new type of bike during the Grifter vs Chopper vs BMX years ....the mountain bike.

I tested a process to build my boxes for the cockpit detailing. I could use ply wood/sheet but by the time i cut, build putty and sand, prime and paint this will take some time. I thought i would try make some foam sheet molds that i could re use quite easily and cast in a polyurethane resin. A quick sand and prime and i can thread, screw, drill and glue what ever button or knob onto each box. The hollow box also gives me the option to thread wiring or LEDs from inside. I wont post each box i build but this gives you an idea of the process.

Happy with the finished box. A quick sand and it is good to go! I know the boxes look totally different sizes but the perspective distortion from the camera is quite deceiving. At first i questioned the size but I know i have made the correct size as the V8 engine part (clear plastic part) is my datum point for sizing.
1667256418095.jpeg

1667256438626.jpeg

I started to cut the cockpit sheets following some deep thought about the practicalities of the depth of the cockpit area. The red area in my diagram was my ideal design but it forces the pilot to sit too high. As such i had to go with the green version which is probably closer to the prop as seen in the screen capture below. I want a nice detailed front skid so that will probably sit between the pilots legs.

1667257002245.png

1667257147139.png

1667257246247.png

1667258493956.png

View attachment 1624014
could you pm me the source of these I like on for my collection

I kept going with some of the rear gunner cockpit detailing. I cast up a large box using the Uher as my datum point for scaling. The V8 engine parts were also used to help scale.

As i hate soldering and there will be just too many lights for me to solder i have elected to use Christmas tree LED lights. I can make these look a little larger with the use of a colored cover that will sit over the LED. For the time being i dipped the required red ones in Tamiya red clear paint.
I have yet to order these covers so really hope they fit.

I will have two strands of lights. One will be permanently on, the other strand will be for the blinking ones. Based on the footage there are only a few blinking lights in the actual prop.

For the colours i used Tamiya spray paints "German Grey" and "Insignia white". I just need to buy a nice fine paint pen for the red (I think they are red anyways) detailing lines.

The plastic cable clip in the middle of the button i will make and cast. I can actually (still) buy these but they are about $117 for a bag full, which i dont need.. The metal detail in the middle looks like some sort of clock or latch mechanism but again, i will just make that out of some sheet metal.

1668986256899.png

1668985955198.jpeg

Realizing i made the box too big....i took the grinder to it!
A little bit of nip and tuck followed by new paint and we have a much better item. A red 'Posca' .7 paint pen was used to apply some nice fine lines.
My LED covers (5mm) arrived and they are perfect. They slot nicely over the Christmas lights They are opaque when off and diffuse the bright LED light perfectly. The photos don't do the covers justice.

1669234663591.jpeg

1669234727221.jpeg

1669234740970.jpeg

Real nice(y)(y) Do you know if some of the parts in the cockpit can be found in the MF one? If so, you could PM SofaKing for parts...if he has them of course.;)

Real nice(y)(y) Do you know if some of the parts in the cockpit can be found in the MF one? If so, you could PM SofaKing for parts...if he has them of course.;)
100% correct but Sofaking has gone off the grid. I have tried to PM him, but he hasn't been on here for ages and all of his YouTube videos have gone.

WHAT THE!! wasnt this just a conversation a few months ago? talk about not waste time my friend, where do you find the time!!

100% correct but Sofaking has gone off the grid. I have tried to PM him, but he hasn't been on here for ages and all of his YouTube videos have gone.
I think IzzyMel could shed light on Sofaking...maybe :unsure: I know that his 1:1 build of the MF cockpit was quite the project in terms of effort, work, money and time. I wouldn't be surprised if he was taking a well deserved break(y)

WHAT THE!! wasnt this just a conversation a few months ago? talk about not waste time my friend, where do you find the time!!
Im trying to keep up with your great builds. Like i said, i am going to build a Snowspeeder :p. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, new here admiring the work. I was looking at some pictures from the Sidney STAR WARS Identities Exhibition of one of the used Snowspeeder models in the movie. It got me wondering about one thing.

The ring of "net-like" detail or series of small holes in the middle of the "fangs"? This is not present in any other replicas or models Ive seen elsewhere, regularly its a flat surface or horizontal "slices" on other models . Im kind of new examining details like this so maybe there is an obvious explanation but I thought it could be relevant to bring it up here.

Regards/Ed
(btw Im doing my first attempt to 3d model to later resin-print a t-47.)

ss7-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back