1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

SofaKing01

Master Member
Hi Gang,

First... WOW! 1,000,000 views! That is amazing! Thank you so much for all the support and putting up with us all these years! This project wouldn't be without the help, support, kindness and enthusiasm from all involved. You guys / gals are the best! I love you all! Lets have another awesome 1 million more :)

Well... the weekend has come and gone and what a... UGH... weekend it was! The weather is so bad! The heat humidity are way up making it feel like 105 plus and the laser cutter, also affected by the heat, crapped out twice mid-way through two cuts resulting in loss of MDF and acrylic. It was not a very productive weekend. At one point the makers was up to 101 inside the warehouse... It was miserable at best... BUT...

So... I bounced between the 1/4 scale and the full scale. I pulled these full scale greeblies off and I'm prepping them for a more screen accurate look (accurate to TFA since we have detailed images)

Popped off the cover

Laser cut three new cover plates

These little details go on the sides

4 total - two on ea side

Back to the 1/4 scale... I recut this greeblie

I laser cut new greeblies and put the laser cutter to the test!

I recut this greeblie as well splitting it into two pieces and added more depth

I the laser cut these little guys

For this new recut

Lots of filler and new greeblies being added

The 1/4 scale Kirby hoses / connectors were redesigned and cut

Still walking this design through my head...

I then did a test cut for these two greeblies - black squares. One black square is etched and the other out of two different pieces

Not sure which one works best

I then recut this greeblie! Check out the fine laser cut lines!

Adding some dials

Adding some familiar color

More new greeblies

New Volvo Panel Boxes

The 1/4 Scale cockpit entrance

I then jumped over to the full scale beast and adhered the MDF to the nose frame

I had to remove A LOT of material

It was 100 plus degrees! And its not even July YET!

The MDF is also adding some needed support and keeping the nose from flexing

Temp added the window

Nice clean look - I might add some MDF to the top of the platform as well

I then got home and decided to paint the new greeblies I cut before the laser quit on me... DANG HUMIDITY! UGH... That's it! I'm done! See ya in Oct! ;)

Finally... I'm trying to upload vids of the Laser Cutter and Full Scale Cockpit Walk-around but Photobucket is giving me problems. GRRRR

Stand Tuned for More!

Last edited:

SofaKing01

Master Member
Hi Gang,

Another one of those early morning updates!

I recut and painted these two greeblies

I recut this greeblie from acrylic (previous was MDF) and added some fine detail - I might add another laser line...

I created the single coil pack - this is where the red pipe stems from

Sanding / Filler continued on the regulator pieces

Volvo Panel Boxes

I'm redoing these in full scale as well! :)

Tape Reader

Another Volvo Panel greeblie... UGH crackling

After sanding of ALL the silver and washing the part I then sprayed with primer/filler hoping to move forward... UGH... crackling again

I broke out the KILLZ primer and after another round of sanding

MUCH BETTER! Every now and then I get a batch of acrylic that causes crackling...

More to Follow!

Last edited:

SofaKing01

Master Member
Sofa, are you using Krylon to paint those 1/6 greeblies?
Hey J,

I gave up on Krylon since they changed their formula. I use Rust-O-Leum now. I'll break out the airbrush when the details call for it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I simply can't believe the level of detail on those tiny 1/4 scale greeblies .... incredible!
Hey MB,

Thanks! I love the laser cutter. Fiddling with the all the settings is fun as well. It really is amazing what one can do with the laser cutter. Just think how much more streamlined Cockpit V2 will be! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great updates SK -amazing what you were able to accomplish with as hot as its been.
Hey SB,

Thanks so much! This weekend was brutal! The warehouse is nice but it's like being in a damp oven! Everybody was is a 1960s zombie like daze it was so hot. Even the birds stopped flying they were so hot and tired. ;)

But... we move forward!

I did get lumber for the shelves and I was really hoping to get them cut but again... the weather...

SofaKing01

Master Member
haha, sorry i was joking about the whole thing in flat pack kit form! You're doing an amazing job though!
Hi GH,

Ah... gotcha... Can you imagine the box this thing would sit and the shelf needed to support it if we "jokingly" offered a full scale kit? I wonder what the bar code would look like? ;)

Lt Washburn

Sofa, this is just one more difference between you and me. I think step 1 on my build a falcon project list would be: Secure air-conditioned workspace.

I'm more of a Hoth guy than a Tattooine guy.

SofaKing01

Master Member
Sofa, this is just one more difference between you and me. I think step 1 on my build a falcon project list would be: Secure air-conditioned workspace.

I'm more of a Hoth guy than a Tattooine guy.
OH NO... Don't get me wrong... I'm a Hoth Guy Too! That might even be a little too warm for me. ;) Unfortunately, we have to a keep a close eye on the electric bill. Can't run the A/C unit 24/7.

knibbsey

Don't give up on your build! I visited the propshop cockpit at Harrods yesterday and it is fantastic - but yours is truly unique and a tribute to the original!

SofaKing01

Master Member
Don't give up on your build! I visited the propshop cockpit at Harrods yesterday and it is fantastic - but yours is truly unique and a tribute to the original!
Hi K,

Thanks so much! I appreciate the support. No worries... we're not stopping. Ever! :)

SofaKing01

Master Member
Hi Gang,

A quick early evening update!

More work on the 1/4 scale continues... Almost finished with these Volvo Panel black boxes

A bit more work for the regulator and then she's finished

I adhered the small silver donuts to this panel

Finished up the fan panel greeblie

I recut this greeblie

This guy just wont go down without a fight!

I have to recut... more cracking! UGH!

I cleaned up and painted all the various silver plates

Gotta love the laser cutter

I then started prep work on these guys...

Finally... A few years back Starkiller quickly put this design of a compact corridor together... From the front window we'll all be able to see the familiar corridor pads and Coughtrie corridor light. We might go for this configuration!

Looking into the cockpit

From the cockpit to the main corridor

Stay Tuned! :)