1:1 Levitating Jedi Training Remote - First Attempt - UPDATED BUILD WITH FOUND PARTS

So just about done with this, I'm real pleased with how it's coming along and my son loves it. I decided to leave all the panel pieces Primer Gray which contrasts nicely with the body color. As you can see I had to create smaller panels for the midsections to accommodate for the smaller overall size of the globe, but I'm OK with it. I had some left over paint from another project called Satin Almond (Krylon) that I used for the main body and I think it looks great.

I'm going to try and add the last few tiny pieces soon and then start weathering. It's a fun little piece.

IMG_2774.JPG

Very cool build. Budget builds are, for me, always tough because you form an emotional connection like a piece of art trying to balance accuracy with scratch building and finding the cheapest option. My first lightsaber was an Obi Wan from Big Yellow Box that cost about 20 bucks in supplies and hours in the basement. It came out..... sturdy.

using the little floating earth thing? Genius! I'm completely ignorant on this prop so I'm very impressed with just that :D I've seen the real prop is on a post with a project box beneath it or something

when you started this thread it started as a fun little project, now with the idea of selling it as a kit we have a different situation..

I can’t find the written rule, but distinctly remember what happened when 2 different members ran the same Bttf prop in the project run at 2 different prices.. at the same time it wasn’t good...

Further more, using someone else’s free files, and selling the product from it... I don’t think that’s look upon kindly.. and though “recasting” isn’t the correct term, it’s really close...

you may want to look into the rules before selling someone else’s parts to protect yourself.. and that’s not
Me attacking you, this is me protecting you

Again, don’t take this as me jumping all over ya. I am upset on how my friend Scott was treated, when all he was doing was explaining how much time, machinery & tools are involved..

I also have to defend my friend Trent because he paved the way on this, and do a run with a direct copy of his idea, and someone else’s files while he has an active run of the original just isn’t cool man

Last edited:
when you started this thread it started as a fun little project, now with the idea of selling it as a kit we have a different situation..

I can’t find the written rule, but distinctly remember what happened when 2 different members ran the same Bttf prop in the project run at 2 different prices.. at the same time it wasn’t good...

Further more, using someone else’s free files, and selling the product from it... I don’t think that’s look upon kindly.. and though “recasting” isn’t the correct term, it’s really close...

you may want to look into the rules before selling someone else’s parts to protect yourself.. and that’s not

Again, don’t take this as me jumping all over ya. I am upset on how my friend Scott was treated, when all he was doing was explaining how much time, machinery & tools are involved..

I also have to defend my friend Trent because he paved the way on this, and do a run with a direct copy of his idea, and someone else’s files while he has an active run of the original just isn’t cool man

I never said anything about using the files I received for free if in fact I do decide to do a project like this. In fact, I didn't provide any details at all. I just merely indicated I would look to see if a kit was an option. I have no idea what that would even look like. I will say that in many circumstances I have seen two similar projects here running on the same prop, in fact, when I bought my Shoretrooper helmet from Reel there were at least two other members selling the same helmet kits.

And IF I ever did try to make a kit, I know the rules, I've been here a while. If you look at post #5, someone asked if I would do a run of the pieces I printed, and I specifically said I wouldn't because they're not mine. But am I not allowed to reach out to those who designed those pieces to see if they would want to pair up on a project? Lets not jump to conclusions.

And if I did offer a kit, it would be nowhere near the quality or accuracy or price of Trent's. There would be two distinctive and separate customer bases. There is room on this forum for props to be made by more than one member. IF I did something like this, it would be for the budget conscious, I don't see a problem with that. Like I said, this hobby isn't only for those who can afford it.

I would, however, ask that members wait to here details before coming to their own conclusions and filling in the blanks themselves. I'm kinda bummed that you insinuated I was going to sell printed parts I got for free when I specifically said I wouldn't do that. Be careful what you imply, others take the written word of established members like yourself as gospel, which can unfairly damage members like me.

Last edited:
So I don't think that if I got permission from the maker of the greeblies to sell them, which allows members to create their own version of this prop on a budget, that that would be an insult to Trent. They are two completely different versions of this prop. But I recognize others would disagree. I love this forum, I've enjoyed meeting many members here, I've learned a lot, and I don't want to be attacked and I don't want Trent or anyone else to feel as if I'm disrespecting them. He came up with a great idea, I only wanted to see if it could be done on a smaller budget (by sacrificing quality and accuracy). That being said, I won't pursue looking at a kit, and will let this thread serve as a friendly tutorial should anyone wish to try and build one of their own on a budget.

Last edited:
IMO...

* doesnt matter if people are or have done a specific project... (doesnt seem to matter from all the Iron Man projects/kits that used to be for sale at the same time!... nor when freely posted code is used in 'kits' being sold... noobody says a word)... No one has a monopoly on who can do what projects at any given time.,.. and unfortunately.. Trent is -NOT- the first person to do a 'floating remote' project.. look back as far back as 2013.. or 2010 even!

Quality and pricing is subjective to the BUYER... and has no place on who can do what as far as 'offerings'..

A user/buyer/customer make that decision on their own.. based on budget and the quality they are looking for (or will accept)...

Now if someone uses 'free/open source' parts as part of a kit... that may be a no-no for me as well... however.. there is no telling WHAT the use case/license is.. It could be totally open and be used for ANY thing (including sales in 'kits/redistribution' does anyone even know the facts on this?.. or just a scare tactic? to attack someone?)

I dont see how ANY part of this thread is some 'DIG' at Trent..

Its pretty shameful how much GREED has been creeping into this hobby as of late. Now there is ownership of what props/projects one can work on. Completely stupid.

* seems to be a trend that caught on here from the saber scene/communities? (so far up their own butts that cant fathom/acknowledge other people do work...and if it isnt 'theirs'.. then its sub-par. or shouldnt be allowed? WHAT. A. JOKE.)

Last edited:
No offense, but it’s like comparing a Porsche and Volkswagen or fraternal twins. If the dude wanted to sell a kit, let him. It’s hypocritical to even suggest he should not as no one ever jumps down the throat of any single person selling their Han Solo blaster made from a Denix or an MGC Mauser or any other recreation of a movie prop.

This entire forum is full of information yet someone profits off of it after using someone else’s or a conglomerate of people’s information all the time. Granted, in the Junkyard they are only reselling their own personal creation or someone else’s work, but it’s still profiting off of someone’s design or idea at an astronomical amount without really doing the legwork to get there, as was pointed out. There are literally thousands built but no one gripes about stealing someone’s thunder.

So, if I’m reading this correctly, the bigger issue is the kit form of this. What if he wanted to resell just this one? Would the same amount of effort be made here? I highly doubt it, at least publically.

The amount of entitlements I’m seeing wanted here amazes me and its on a small scale, but the fact that it’s even warranted is on another level.

Last time I checked the top of the home page here, at least for me on the mobile version, it says “RPF, Creat Your Fandom”. If that isn’t the definition of encouragement to do what azheat01 wants to do here, I don’t know what is.

Excuse me while I go figure out how to reapply my filed off Denix logo on my ANH build. I’d hate for Denix to find out. I mean, they do deserve credit for making the replica, they did the leg work...

Last edited:

Trying to save your friends some extra income with this embarrassing "GET OFF THE LAWN!" behaviour?

I think the point is that the original post and some others since are seen as price bashing, which is absolutely not allowed on the Rpf. No matter the other arguments, that is how I read it.

I don´t see anything that could be really considered as price bashing.

Why shouldn´t he post why he isn´t in the market for the offered TR? There are a lot of people who will not buy, for different reasons. For some it may be the asked price, for others it will be that no original parts are used, or not wanting to have it shipped over bigger distances. Or anything else.

He decided to make his own, and the posted prices are examples for the people who may think about to make their own. Hell, even a lot of the real parts/kits are still available for small money.

Quote: “I'd get one of his but really don't want to spend that kind of money at the moment.”

I wanted to replicate a cool prop without having to spend that kind of money.

The phrase “that kind of money” is a way of saying something is too expensive. Could be unintentional, but does not read that way to me since it was used more than once.

It is a lot of money. But is it too expensive?

Everyone is free to have a own opinion, based on his own income, needs, wishes, and amount of money he is willing/able to spend.
Posting to be one of those who are not willing is not neccessary "bashing", just a statement.

Quote: “I'd get one of his but really don't want to spend that kind of money at the moment.”

The phrase “that kind of money” is a way of saying something is too expensive. Could be unintentional, but does not read that way to me since it was used more than once.

I respectfully have to disagree. Saying something is too expensive for me is not price bashing. If I said he’s charging too much for what you’re getting, or what you’re spending isn’t worth it, or its too much for anyone, that would be price bashing. Huge difference.

I merely stated I wanted one of these props without spending that kind of money because it’s too much for ME. That’s why I started a build on a budget. This whole thing is absurd and petty.

I have several build threads that focus on what I’m spending because I’m wanting to keep the costs low, those are not bashing anyone else’s prices either.

Last edited:

That same logic could be applied to buying a car. I bought a Yaris, not the Avalon. Why? Funds.

I’m building my blaster with my son on a budget, I got the Denix used. $5.95. I could turn around and sell it for just as much as a brand new build probably if I cared to. This isn’t the stock market and he hasn’t sold anything so bashing would be a very lose term formed on conjecture.

I hated to buy weathering stickers for my build from Scott but I did because I just don’t have a lot of time to make my own. But I paid the price and appreciated the service. It’s simple enough to make a die myself if I had time because I have the skills. Could easily do the same with masking to tape or contact paper just to offer a different option for $5. It wouldn’t be the greatest and as detailed, but it would do the trick. One hit of a hammer and their done, no middle man.

See, that’s just an example. Instead of encouragment and the comradery I usually see on here, I’m sitting here reading about double standards and a one sided argument revolving around words and feelings. God forbid someone wants to do something nice for their son. That’s called being a good parent and why aren’t we championing that instead of this issue? This is where I revert to my original post above about this. People need to check their ego’s at the door as far as I’m concerned with this.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back