1:1 Dead Space Lurker sculpture

Seaniiie

Hey guys, long time lurker (boom boom), first time poster. Thought I'd share my latest project, he's a polyurethane resin cast from a WED sculpt and stands just under 3 feet tall. The official Dead Space Facebook and Twitter feeds posted him yesterday and I've had an overwhelming response so far, makes all the fibreglass splinters and sleepless nights worthwhile!

lurkerrrr_zps9aa5d6c4.jpg

Thanks guys! Not sure about pounds, but I ended up using an entire 11kg box and about a third of another box. The skintone I would not have been able to achieve had it not been for watching the Stan Winston school video with Steve Wang talking about painting latex masks. It was incredibly helpful, as you'd expect from something by Mr Wang. Here are a few shots from along the way:

IMG_1007_zps669f8fdc.jpg

IMG_0998_zps34b05bf0.jpg

IMG_1198_zpse2608241.jpg

IMG_1250_zpsf920c928.jpg

My friend is insane about Deadspace and showed me this when it hit the official twitter. She goes "I want one" which is normal for her when she sees deadspace stuff lol. It looks amazing.

Oh trust me she wanted to find and commission you until i reminded her that you're now known to EA and the DS gang and they'd frown on it lol.

Love Dead Space and this is totally amazing! Really captured the necromorph with this piece. What kind of armature did you make for this if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks guys. I built the armature onto a strong base which had joints that would let me rotate and pivot the sculpt so I could get at it from every angle:
IMG_0793_zpsaba0aa36.jpg

And this was the skeleton I sculpted onto (the smiley face was probably the most important part of the process):
IMG_0799_zps0f81441e.jpg

The tentacles were all sculpted and cast separately obviously.

I sculpted straight onto the armature wire, I could've saved clay if I built up the armature a bit more but I was kind of making the sculpt up as I went along so the way I did it gave me a bit more freedom as I could reposition the limbs and stuff into more dynamic positions.

I've just received a message from Paul Mathus at Visceral Games saying they'd like to buy him to display at their offices...I hate to think how much shipping would cost on a 3 foot tall tentacle baby from England to California...

Looks amazing man, awesome work.

I've just received a message from Paul Mathus at Visceral Games saying they'd like to buy him to display at their offices...I hate to think how much shipping would cost on a 3 foot tall tentacle baby from England to California...

Let me guess they have offered a measly sum for the hard work, time and effort you have put into this? But letting you know that it will be displayed in there office for all others to see. :p

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back