1:1 Classic Titanium man build

Apemantus

Well i've been a long time lurker so I've decided to get off my behind and share my currant project.

First off I'd like to give a few shout outs.
To SmookCMb and his Pepakura HB files http://www.therpf.com/f78/smookcmbs...es-available-212583/?highlight=hulkbuster+pep
EyeofSauron and his IM pepakura files http://www.therpf.com/f24/eyeofsaur...ie-armors-power-rangers-lich-king-etc-151288/

Yup you've read the title right, my goal is to build a fully wearable, fully articulated 12 feet tall Titanium Man armour.
The project has been months in the planning, now i must say i'm not an engineer or anything like that, heck tbh my DIY skills are pretty tragic, if i put a shelf up on the wall it normally fall down straight away, i go to put it back up and it falls down again, i go to put it back up a third time and the wall falls down, however after a few months of planning i managed to workout how i was going to do it.

T7.JPG
The sheer size of The Titanium Man

The obvious questions of, How can it be worn? Will it be too heavy? How will it move? And what of the cost? All needed answering first. The first three questions were planned out and I'll go into them as i build them ( to avoid huge walls of texts all in one post)
The cost of such a project was the main issue, doing the who thing in Pep was out of the question, (the helmet alone took a week to put together using pep) and one leg was 221 A4 pages of Templates, so for the most part i used foam files with card I manged to get free of charge from a local restaurant.

Design:
Now I'm a huge Titanium Man fan as you can guess from on of the pics below, I wanted to keep all the Titanium Man detail but give it a Marvel movie makeover. Now unlike all other armoured heroes/villains Boris Bullski isn't a normal sized man in a huge suit, he's a huge 11ft tall Man in a 12ft suit of armour, so the armour needed to look like it was being worn and not piloted from the chest section.
As for the name of the armour, like the Iron Man films i didn't want to out right call him 'Titanium Man but in stead named it 'T-22TI and if you get the double meaning give yourself a virtual cookie :p

Having been called 'the Russian Tank' by Jim Rhodes it seemed fitting that the armour have the feel of a Russian Tank and not a mishmash od scrap parts (like the Iron Man 1 game)
T2.JPG
Some rough designs of parts of the suit

T6.JPG
Yup I'm a fan.

Starting to Build
So first step was to build an outer shell for which all the detail was to be added to later. The outer shell was the most important because everything depended on where i'd be inside the armour (more on that later) so adjustments would have to be made depending on room.

First up was the basic helmet shell, made from MK1 Iron Man files from EyeofSauron, extra detail including the 'screen face will be made from Plexiglas, I'll go into the finer details when i start adding all the extra stuff, this included the articulation and weight.

t1.JPG
Yeah it's really huge, a can of Monster for scaling lol

After the helmet base, i decided to start work from the bottom and work up, now scaling wise wasn't too hard, I'm 5ft 9" and well built so i pretty much just doubled all my measurements to get 11 and a half feet, (the extra detail will bring it to 12)

221 pages of templates later and i had what i needed for the left leg (Thanks to SmookCMb for the HB files)
Once the leg shells are complete i can being work on the stilts,with my knees the same height as the armour's knees (again I'll go into the inner workings of the armour later)
I plan on articulating the toe parts with hinges and springs.

T3.JPG
Foot template, with mine for scale.

T5.JPG

T4.JPG

There is no end date for this project, it's mostly a labour of love and to do something not done before so i hope to see ya all next time.
And for those that want to keep up to date on this project here's the nearly created page for it https://www.facebook.com/pages/Titanium-Man-Armour-Build/839438616077852?fref=ts

Wow, this is going to be amazeballs when it's finished. I can't wait to see more progress. Are you going to be riveting the titanium together as opposed to welding since welding titanium has to be done in an oxygen free environment?

This will be really cool when finished. Huge too!
fastman316 It looks like the build is being done in cardboard / paper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup the most of the suit will be made from 0.5mm card, strengthened with fibreglass and bondo, though rivets do feature heavily in the final design.

Thought I'd give a very very brief overview of what's going to be on the inside of the suit and why I think this can be done.

As mentioned mine and the armour's knees will match up, the reason why I can keep the legs in proportion is due to the 'skirt/togoa' which will hide my upper thighs and waist allowing me better movement and to actually walk in the suit. Because the stilt are going to be very high I needed to add extra safety means but also I had to take into account where my legs need to be inside the armour's legs in this case they needed to be flush against the inside of the t-man's shin and lower thigh to give me better movement.

Inside the chest will be a simple harness that is worn, the suit will have 2 spines to help with weight and so the armour doesn't crush itself. One spine will will attach the length of the chest to the waist and the second will attach from the shoulders my lower back via the harness.
A very simple upper skeleton will be built into the shoulders, rods will attach them to my shoulders via the harness so when I move the armour moves with me a similar method will be done with the helmet but will attach to a hat on my head. Basically when I move the suit will move with me while keeping the weight evenly destributed over all areas

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Progress on the left foot, couple more pieces and it'll be finished, one point of note was the top template. It was so huge that it needed to be cut into three smaller pieces before being drawn round on card and glued into place

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 212
Work continues on the legs. The sheer size of this means work is slower than normal, the entire leg itself will stand just under a whooping 2 meters tall. Naturally all the hulkbuster detail will be covered with titanium man detail but it provides a nice base to work on, all the hinges and joints will be added later.

Also as a side project been working on a mk4 crimson dynamo helmet wore by Valentin Shatalov. The mk4 armor although only seen in a couple of times is by far one of the more striking crimson dynamo armors. The helmet is about 90 percent identical to the pre vizla helmet from the Clone Wars

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 186
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
The base for the lower legs is pretty much complete, still looks hulkbusterish but all that will vanish when the detail is added, added a shot of myself next to the shin for scale

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 171
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back