007 Thunderball rebreather - 3D print - Finished

ajaxjones

I'm embarking on a mini project to make up a rebreather from 007's outing in Thunderball. I'm basing it on finding some of the cylinders discarded by the local 'yoof' who seem to have a fascination for making whipped cream late at night in car parks :rolleyes:

cylinders.JPG

I also found a fairly OK art rendition of it as well on grabcad 3D CAD Model Collection | GrabCAD Community Library

02072018_007_breather_vintage_1-4.jpg

Nice. Good luck with this. I did one a few years back as a gift for a friend who is a huge 007 fan. What the renders above do not show is the white 'checkered' section of the top of the cylinders. Your images show only the black when in actuality they are black and white alternating at 90 degrees. A quick google image search will show what I mean.
I had to guess at the sizes for mine and extrapolate the dimensions so it would fit inside the cigar tube and drew everything in Sketchup for STL output and 3d printing of the parts in the middle. After painting, I had to repaint it since my source images were a bit off in color. More a gray color than a blue.
Bond - rebreather.jpg
Here is a pic of mine. Happy re-breathing.

very nice, emphasis required is that they are not my pics, they are from Lysandre on grabcad. I've googled a lot so far and there are a plenty of variations out there. I havent been able to find a cigar tube, other than a full box of them. I'm probably not going to use that. I've got the film lined up for this evening :)

test-fit.JPG

Looks like you're well on your way. I got my cigar tube (and cigar) at a local cigar/ tobaconist shop. They were more than willing to sell me just one from their humidor. May be one in your town.

After some hefty screen grabbing, I'm well on my way to redesigning :) The tangs are definitely squared off and not tapered , there is only one slot hole in the base and the legs are thicker too. I like the way the movie is cut from handing him the one that probably fits in the tube easily and with the black base to the cutaway that has the blue base for the close up.

Image1.png Image2.png Image3.png Image4.png Image5.png Image6.png Image7.png Image8.png Image9.png Image10.png Image11.png Image12.png Image13.png Image14.png Image15.png Image16.png

Reworked the base and mouthpiece now as well, looks a bit more to scale and approaching more the movie version. Will be priming, filling and sanding and having second thoughts now about making some cylinders (defeating the original idea of using some found ones)
reworked v2.JPG

Next step is to give this a bit of a file and a sanding and then primer. i used to use the normal halfords filler primer, but it never really worked well for me, but I'm now using another brand of theirs called high build primer. It works a lot better and dries a lot quicker as well.
sanded-filler-primer.JPG

A bit of light sanding on this with some 800 grit and 1500 and then a final coat of primer and sanding again with 1500
primer-sanded.JPG

Last edited:
So in the end I went with sketching up some tanks as well and printed them off in ABS as the hatchbox i have takes a sanding quite well.
For some reason the internal bracing was showing through, so i had to print those seperate and glue them in. Also had to set the seam to random so as not to get vertical seam lines as well.
new scuba tanks.JPG

Started to put some paint on, Molotow chrome onto the valve assembly and then will spray over that with Tamiya clear orange once it dries , and the cylinders have their black/white tops
silver base.JPG

base cylinder.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back