007 Golden Gun Build

whb64

First let me say this is a WIP and picture will be added soon.

My brother gave me a 007 Austin Martin model that I started working on when I was visiting him. It's a fun kit but not the best (the rear bumper is totally wrong, it's the same as the front and doesn't fit... things like that). It does have the bullet shield, center button console, and I removed the roof panel for the eject-able seat. Anyway, this got me on a Bond kick.

So I decided to start 3D printing and making a Golden Gun prop :) I'm in the prototyping stage now, and again let me say this will not be as impressive as some of the builds people on here have gone all out and done, but it should be pretty movie accurate and visually look good, but the main thing is it won't cost an arm and a leg to make. I already have most of the parts prototyped and test fitted, now it's tweaking and refining the parts and scale. I know everyone loves pictures (myself included) so I will be uploading some as soon as I have something worth showing :)

I've been wanting to do a golden gun build, but not the 3d printer route. lol. have fun!
If I had the parts and tools I'd want to do a metal one too. I have an SLA resin printer so figure what the hell :) Plus working the parts out in resin first is giving me ideas on how to do it with actual Colibri parts. I'm also going to work up parts for the Moon Raker wrist dart gun :)

Yup that's exactly what I do on my projects. I 3d model everything (even my found parts and fasteners), then work out the bugs with the models and prints before cutting up expensive authentic pieces and paying for machining on unproven parts. Good luck on this, following! :thumbsup

I agree laellee. It's cheaper and fast/easy (relatively speaking) to prototype first and get all the sizes right. Plus there's no reason why some internal parts or difficult to make parts can't be 3D printed and used with other materials- like the internals of the lighter and things like that. For now I should soon have a prop that's a close facsimile until I can build a replacement. I plan on mounting one in a display with a Laser Disc and the cover... disc on display below the cover and a Walther PPK and the Golden Gun underneath.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm making an all brass version myself, doing bits in between other projects (of which there are too many...lol) and ive done a Moon Raker dart gun out of aluminium too. Have you decided what paint you are going to use yet (chrome gold or normal gold and gloss laquer)?

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I'm making an all brass version myself, doing bits in between other projects (of which there are too many...lol) and ive done a Moon Raker dart gun out of aluminium too. Have you decided what paint you are going to use yet (chrome gold or normal gold and gloss laquer)?
Are you forming the brass yourself or starting with a lighter, case and pen? If you have a thread I would love following your build :)

From what I've seen, the prop is rather big, but Christopher Lee was a big man. A normal size prop would look like a toy in his hand. That said, and others have stated this same thought... there are two ways to go about a build... First is to try to make a 100% (or as close as possible) movie studio prop. The second mindset is to make something that looks like it could really be used. Often they are not the same. So that said, never holding the real thing or a reproduction that's the same size, those that have one, how big is the studo gun? Also does anyone have one of the Waterman pens and if so would it be possible to get some measurements? Such as the overall length, diameter, length of just the pen cap and then just the pen body?

I looked up the lighter and if I have the right model (Colibri Molectric 88) and if the measurements were correct on the site, they definitely did not use a modified lighter for the gun because I\m pretty sure it was too small. (2.5" x 1.25" x .5"). Best guess and for a test print I did it looks to be around 78% scale. I've read that the studio prop was 9.5" in overall length and based on that the lighter would be too small at that scale. Unless I have the wrong model #. That said though, even if the lighter is the correct size, it will require some extensive modifications. What I would do is to gut it and cut out the one side for the breach/barrel chamber slide insert and then do a high resolution .01 or .02 3D resin print of that part and put a threaded metal insert in the end for the barrel.

The pen printed at the 9.5" size gun comes out to have a pen body of around 17mm or .6" in diameter. That's why I am interested in the dimensions of the actual Waterman pen. I know fountain pens are larger in diameter than a roller point. In the dinner scene Scaramanga uses the pen to write something and that prop definitely looks smaller than the pen barrel when he assembles the gun earlier in the movie.

Thats excellent info thanks. Mine is being made to my hand. I'm 6'2" and heavy set so should be big enough for most. Ive bought the skinniest fountain pen I could find (within a reasonable cost) as I think it would be cool/nice to have at least one portion of the break down pieces to be usuable.... that and secret santa is coming around and I love to offer something a little....... off the grid.

Keep us upto date with what you have going on. I have some pics but no build thread as of yet...... I'll let you know when i have one up and going.

I threw some gold paint on my 78% print and will have some pictures up as soon as it dries and I can put it together :)

I'm 5'8" so what would look fine in Chirstopher Lee's hand or yours would probably look big for my hand, not sure though that's why I'd like some real dimensions from the reproduction gun and real Waterman pen. One cool thing about the 91.9% print I'm doing is the cigarette case will actually hold 5 cigarettes! :)

Some of the test prints, here's the first.

This is the pen and lighter breach/slide out printed in both 100% scale from one of the stls I am using for references, and one printed at 78% and for good measure I included a Sharpie pen for some size perspective. Again, I'm not sure of the size/diameter of the Waterman pen, but a Sharpie is thicker than a regular pen and closer to a fountain pen diameter (but still probably a tad too small in diameter)

The main stl prints a gun that's around 9.5" in length, whereas the 78% print (painted gold in the picture and with a modified pen clip and pen body (slightly lengthened and a bottom tab added to the clip)

20180728_185230.jpg

Here are the test parts unassembled

20180728_195413.jpg

And the parts assembled into the gun...

20180728_194817.jpg

This is the 78% test print with some modifications. At this size the 'Colibri' lighter is pretty much the same size as the real thing based on the website where I got the lighter dimensions from, but I think the cigarette case is too small for a real cigarette case. I think the 92% scale is a more realistic size for the cigarette case and I am printing the lighter right now and will see if it looks okay or too big. My main concern is the pen... I may have to do some modifying of the pen diameter so it doesn't look like a cigar holder in size instead of a fountain pen.

Once I get the main pieces tweaked out I will modify the lighter with a top that opens and chamber for the gold bullet.

Working on the full scale version now.

As most have done too, I've been doing a ton of research. From what I read there were actually 5 guns, all slightly different but overall they had the same design.

I don't have a Waterman Le Man, nor would I destroy something that expensive. I am making the pen/barrel. I will be making a couple versions and see which one has the 'look' of the assembled gun in the movie. Here is my test fitting so far, from what I can tell it is close to the size of a Waterman Leman but I don't have the actual dimensions. For now I just have a pen clip attached from a random pen I had laying around. I have some actual Waterman Le Man pen clips coming that are the same as in the movie so this is just a test mock up press fit together.

20180803_020000.jpg20180803_020015.jpg

I am working on the inner barrel and deciding on threading or compression fitting into the breach. I know threads are what was in the movie and what would be accurate, but not sure if I can pull that off, but I'll try. While I am waiting for the Waterman pen clip I've been redesigning the Colibri lighter section. I modified the inside where the breach slides out and added a mounting point for an inner barrel sleeve, extended the lighter slightly so I could add a hinge and top that opens. I also put a chamber hole for a 7.2 'Golden bullet' to insert. For the bullet I decided I am going to use a dummied out Tokerav round. I haven't decided if I am going to use the 7.62 Tokerav bullet or remove it and recase a full 7.62 in it for that longer look like in the movie. I 3D printed a round in 4.2mm and it was rediculously small!

Back to the pen/barrel... it will look a lot better once I have the actual Waterman clip and have everything done in gold. It's slow but coming along.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back