“Tribes of Europa” on Netflix

'Get in if you want to live' Hmmm...

Looks interesting. Hopefully with this one you won't need a flow-chart to keep track of all the characters, timelines and plot.

'Get in if you want to live' Hmmm...

Looks interesting. Hopefully with this one you won't need a flow-chart to keep track of all the characters, timelines and plot.
I don’t know if you’re referencing something specifically but that’s a big gripe I have overall with recent shows. I think of things like Westworld and how I just couldn’t get into it because of the narrative structure. Same thing for Dunkirk.

I tried twice to watch Dark, since it incurred so much praise. I just couldn't get into it - So many characters on three (?) different timelines, so played by different actors in each time, except the ones who travelled back and forth!, plus with German names I struggled to remember, I felt I needed to keep notes just to be able to keep track of who was who. The pacing was painfully slow, as was the revealing of the mysteries of the plot which stretched out so long I needed a secont chart! So many apparently random elements that disappear for hours at a time. It felt more like doing homework than watching a piece of entertainment. All that said, I'm actually not knocking the show, I know many loved it and it's certainly a deep dive, it just wasn't for me.

I tried twice to watch Dark, since it incurred so much praise. I just couldn't get into it - So many characters on three (?) different timelines, so played by different actors in each time, except the ones who travelled back and forth!, plus with German names I struggled to remember, I felt I needed to keep notes just to be able to keep track of who was who. The pacing was painfully slow, as was the revealing of the mysteries of the plot which stretched out so long I needed a secont chart! So many apparently random elements that disappear for hours at a time. It felt more like doing homework than watching a piece of entertainment. All that said, I'm actually not knocking the show, I know many loved it and it's certainly a deep dive, it just wasn't for me.
I absolutely LOVED DARK, but after every episode, I went to an episode recap site to be sure I kept the characters straight.

I didn't consider myself stupid or that I was cheating. I just felt I needed some...tutoring. Lol

Though I totally agree with your thoughts. Without doing that, I'd have been lost with character connections. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

I absolutely LOVED DARK, but after every episode, I went to an episode recap site to be sure I kept the characters straight.

I didn't consider myself stupid or that I was cheating. I just felt I needed some...tutoring. Lol

Though I totally agree with your thoughts. Without doing that, I'd have been lost with character connections. Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

I felt like the biggest problem I had with “Dark” was keeping the characters straight in the different timelines, and I feel a LOT of that was because they were non-English names. I honestly feel that if it was Steve, Kevin, John, etc I’d have done MUCH better at keeping all the characters straight in my head!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back