“That Star is crooked” screen accurate A Christmas Story tree topper

BossThreads

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The replicas available are pretty sad so I decided to make my own out of vintage 1940’s parts.
3C5D1A37-844C-49F6-9A60-92C75D3DAEB7.jpeg928E0C73-87EA-4E67-8434-37A4D98651B4.jpeg15AB2128-714D-4FF0-92DF-86268AF37CFD.jpeg

Are those vintage C7s? C9s?

Edit. Not a very good pic, but here's my tree this year. It's got some really cool lights I found at Target. They are red, green, and pearly white little bulbs. I just love the effect. Can't get the picture to work. I give up.

Last edited:
Ya the solid color bulbs always seemed MUCH hotter than the clear colored ones we had on our xmas tree(s) growing up.

Ya the solid color bulbs always seemed MUCH hotter than the clear colored ones we had on our xmas tree(s) growing up.
As I recall,Borjis,you couldn't leave them on too long.Back then most people had real trees so you had a double threat with your tree drying out and your bulbs heating up.

As I recall,Borjis,you couldn't leave them on too long.Back then most people had real trees so you had a double threat with your tree drying out and your bulbs heating up.

Funny enough, we actually had a fake tree growing up. I always thought it was the best tree ever until we did a fresh cut noble fir 10 years later.
IIRC the solid ones had a reflector at the base to keep the heat away from other sources.

Very nice! You have inspired me to do the same. I got the star and the silver gold glass finial but what did you determine the color to be for the star in the movie? I am thinking of painting the rear portion that reflects the light a white or light color to best reflect the light bulb inside but for the front outer star its hard for me to tell if it is some kind of black or grey color. I have ran and paused the scene a lot while he is adjusting the star but I just cant pin down that front color. Thanks again for the great idea - John

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back