“Idealizing” a lineage Vader helmet

lethyry

A few weeks ago I was asked to do the touch up/finishing work on an ESB Warren helmet, I was asked to remove all the warts/dings/runs etc. from the helmet and make it a cleaned up "hero" ESB helmet. it sounded interesting and like a cool project to do, so I thought i'd share that process on here as its much more interesting than some of the other Vader projects I do.
3BDC3D81-E611-4C11-817E-B43D79CF0C42.jpeg
3476DE63-78AC-4132-9B53-39AB8075E46D.jpeg
74ED67D2-016E-424F-A368-A507E2D451E0.jpeg
2BD1EB37-57D6-417B-A220-B4929E6CBB73.jpeg

above are some shots I got of the helmet in the current state a few weeks back. The photos do make the helmet look worse than it actually is there is a thin layer of resin on both the dome and face plate which will be removed with a quick sand. well It finally turned up today and I had some free time to get some bits done to it, started off with the dome; the dome seemed to have been roughly trimmed (was originally purchased as a kit so it makes sense) so first thing I did was clean up those edges up and get them to a relatively nice spot, will more than likely shave them done a touch more, got the mouth and chin vents tidied up and gave the face a quick sand over to take off some of the high spots.
3D97E578-873B-4187-857E-9D02C3EB2A95.jpeg

Last edited:

lethyry

Had some more time to work on this guy today so I took that time to strip the dome back down raw. Took a little bit of time due to the thick filler primer and resin put on, but the paint stripper I use worked quite nicely on it. Also started the face place with another sand down and started the process of filling in the larger/more obvious spots.
35865204-B436-4486-9D6D-28FB043F9805.jpeg

Ned Figglehorn

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Very excited to see this finished! I've always been a fan of Idealized props, something about streamlining an original design is just so satisfying to me.

lethyry

Very excited to see this finished! I've always been a fan of Idealized props, something about streamlining an original design is just so satisfying to me.
I too am excited to see how this turns out. I'm one that loves all the bumps and intricacies of original props so this one was a bit out of my comfort zone lol. I'm interested to see how this will compare to an unaltered one. since most of the work being done is subtle little changes/tweaks.

Thank you for sharing! I always enjoy the behind the scenes work!
likewise, always enjoy following others WIP thread so I thought I'd do one myself for fun

lethyry

Dome got its first light coat of primer today wanted to see if there are any problem areas left I need to touch up.
063348AB-1265-4EC0-87CB-700DD3CC4F3A.jpeg

Not a whole lot left to do to the dome, a few pin holes here and there left to fill followed by another coat and a nice wet sand and it should be ready for paint. Face plate isn’t too far behind either.

lethyry

It’s been a few days since I had any updates to share, was taking some time to work on some other stuff I had in the shoot, but I got the base coat of black done on the face today, I will be clear coating tomorrow, I still have the dome to paint but that will be done before clear tomorrow likewise the gunmetal. the finish line is in sight lol.

15AE6A4B-416F-46E5-BF83-627564727C5D.jpeg

lethyry

Lol, yes a bit but the clear adheres better when the paint is still fresh.
Looks awesome!
Thanks! I’m a bit nutty when it comes to paint finish on a project like this, so I always do a light base coat, wetsand in between then a heavier base coat layer. If I were trying to give this a more authentic finish I wouldn’t be as worried with surface texture since the originals had a lot of orange peel on them.

lethyry

What a he this day it was but it ended on a high lol, helmet is painted and curing at the moment. I won’t show any more pictures till this guy is finished, it was my first time in a while using 2k clear from spray max, and I must say it gave a great finish. Super pleased with it.
15BAD226-49B7-4439-83F1-42C54F888DB0.jpeg
AF506AD3-9CBF-4E53-9024-BC2C2039D8B9.jpeg

Excuse my crappy phone photos, will get the finished product photo’d with a much better camera

edit: for some reason the dome looks much worse than it actually does in person, i guess thats what i get when you drop your phone as much as i do lol

Last edited:

lethyry

Well, after the holiday break I took from working on helmets I thought I’d finally share with you guys the finished product here, after a few days of letting the clear coat cure, I wasn’t 100% Happy with how the clear went on, the finish was meh to me. It wasn’t something I felt I could put my name behind so I decided to resand the dome and refinish it . I slightly tweaked the way I clear coated it which I think made a big difference, it has that slight organge peel but still is smooth and reflective. So without further a do…
B700148C-67CE-4E1C-A693-F121AEC5F675.jpeg
5EDC5462-ECF5-4A89-B256-DDA712BE9556.jpeg
5EB8C2C7-FD08-4E34-9A4F-3D51660E2B84.jpeg
06B7ACF9-DA05-4171-BFD0-6CB0E2A512CE.jpeg
5EB8C2C7-FD08-4E34-9A4F-3D51660E2B84.jpeg

What a project it was, I’m quite happy with how it turned out. On to the next one lol.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.