‘Anon’ hdpe stunt trooper helmet build

ecl

Sr Member
Just finished up this Anon hdpe helmet! Definitely an interesting experience painting on the hdpe. Not likely going to chip into the paint as I had originally intended; although, small areas around the ears naturally chipped away anyways! Hard to see in the pics, but it’s very lightly aged—just a week on Tatooine :D

14DD71BD-729F-4CE9-84BB-6E4B078A1169.jpeg

D5F8E45F-50A0-4EDF-B859-2C3768B22822.jpeg

BF39CAB0-42B9-4A7B-8A47-D54408C2FDB1.jpeg

7379F8A5-2050-4D5E-BDBB-54959A59AA1D.jpeg

Thats really nice.
I have thought about doing one myself but I could go so badly wrong painting the HDPE.
I am not sure how to describe it, but the HDPE versions always seem to give the appearance of 'weight' or sturdiness which I like.

Nice helmet! I love this sloppy glossiness on it!

I still have two PP/HDPE helmets but I’m too intimidated to paint them... :oops:

What paint did you use and did you do a primer first?

Thanks for the comments!

I’ve always liked the look of the painted HDPE helmets too. They do have a ‘heavier’ look, maybe because of the thick layer of paint makes it appear that way? They’re very bumpy to varying degrees too.

I originally wanted to go full mess on this one, with a lot of drips, etc; but as usual, once things got going, I ended up with a more conservative finish. Although, I did allow for some unevenness in the finish and added a bit of the light weathering (hard to capture in photos).

I didn’t go to crazy with the prep on this one. I was a bit scared to paint it too—had thought to just leave it unpainted—but then decided to just go for it. I first lightly sanded the surface and then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, then sprayed on an oxide red primer. Honestly though, even the primer didnt really want to stick too well. I used the standard Rustoleum gloss white (#7592, found @Lowes) that I had used on my abs RS helmet. It’s more of a ’cool’ white, and I was thinking about using an off white this time, but the stuff has been reliable in the past and I didn’t want to experiment too much here. It worked well, but only after spraying on quite a thick coat of paint. I started with thin coats before spraying on thicker. The thicker coat of paint does make the whole thing a bit more durable, but I’m sure it would crack easily if the helmet was tossed around. So far, with normal handling, the finish feels solid. One reason I decided against deliberately chipping into the paint is that chipped areas tend to become a weak spot, and the paint can keep chipping away from there—much like what has already happened on a lot of the original hdpe helmets!

It was a fun one to work on...hoping someday RS will decide to offer up more hdpe options, but until then, I think this Anon helmet is an interesting piece. It does seem a hair smaller than my old abs RS helmet, at least around the opening.

Last edited:
Those really are some pretty photos! What camera did you take them with?

You're inspiring me to finally paint over my yellowed AP helmet!

What colors did you use for the grey and blue, or are they decals?

Those really are some pretty photos! What camera did you take them with?

You're inspiring me to finally paint over my yellowed AP helmet!

What colors did you use for the grey and blue, or are they decals?

Thanks! I’m still using my years old Nikon D3200 SLR camera. Still takes good enough photos for me to not feel the need to upgrade yet!

The grey color is Testors 1138, blue is Humbrol #14, and the black was just a Model Master semi gloss black. All the details were painted on by brush—I went for a sandtrooper theme to make things easier....no need to add the little black lines on the sides (tears) and back :D I normally would have used a stencil for the tube stripes, but didn’t want to take any chances accidently lifting up paint with this one—although I’m pretty sure there would have been no problem—so I printed out the a template and then used carbon paper to transfer the lines onto the helmet, and then painted them freehand—took quite a lot of patience but I think it was worth it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back