Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    From
    Minneapolis
    Aug 2, 2012, 1:33 PM - Shawshank Bible - how to cut the pages #1

I know I shouldn't need to say this but I've heard this come up before, so...

This thread is NOT to discuss whether it is moral to cut up a bible. I'm planning on making my bible screen accurate to the end scene in the film, so I will be cutting mine. Thanks

I've seen a few of these done here with great results so, I'm looking for templates, advice, tip and tricks on how to accurately cut the pages to hold the pick ax in this bible. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Ss
    Last edited by ssdesigner; Aug 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM.
  2. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    From
    Minneapolis
    Aug 3, 2012, 10:04 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #2

Anyone?
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 3, 2012, 10:56 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #3

Found this
    How To Do Stuff: How To Make a Secret Hollow Book:
    Guess it could be modified to be hammer shaped.
    From
    UK
    Aug 4, 2012, 6:11 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #4

I couldn't think of any other way than to just print out a 1:1 copy of the original prop's page, lay it over the bible on starting page then just carefully cut around the outline with a sharp hobby knife and remove the excess paper. Keep repeating as many times until you are right through to the finishing page (where you have a cutting board or something to stop you cutting past that page!).
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 4, 2012, 6:12 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #5

stuff the bible into a laser cutter..
  6. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    From
    Minneapolis
    Aug 6, 2012, 7:30 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #6

Contec said: View Post
    stuff the bible into a laser cutter..
    The paper would catch fire. I did think about having it water-jet cut, but water also poses an interesting challenge with thin paper.

I think it's going to go just as Kurtyboy suggested, one page at a time.

Kurtyboy: have you successfully done one of these then? Any idea what page to end the cutting on? Do you have a vector template for the hammer?

If this goes well I plan to do a very small run of the rock hammers.

-Ss
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Aug 6, 2012, 7:41 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #7

If you have the hammer, just put it on the page and start cutting carefully around it. And to make sure it's in the right place when doing the next page, just line it up using the previous page as a guide.
  8. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Aug 6, 2012, 7:45 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #8

Use clamps to secure book as well as secure pages sonthey don't slide when you cut. But make sure to place padding or towels between book and clamps so you don't get dents or any other damages from the metal clamp.
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 6, 2012, 8:13 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #9

Maybe half of the bible pages was real, If you check this picture of the real thing in this post :
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/shawshank-r...4/#post1308473
    Then it looks a lot like the Right side page was glued onto a white sheet of paper. Maybe you would be able to do the same thing.
  10. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    From
    Minneapolis
    Aug 6, 2012, 10:24 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #10

As far as the rock hammer, is this what I am seeing running along the wood handle?

Messing-Nieten | DICTUM GmbH - Mehr als Werkzeug

-Ss
    From
    North Carolina
    Aug 6, 2012, 1:04 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #11

A scroll saw is the way to go. This isn't the link I was looking for, but its the same idea.
    The Scroll Bench: Book Cutting on the Scroll Saw
    Search Google for "Book safe" and "Scroll saw" and you'll find plenty of options.
    From
    Staten Island, New York
    Aug 6, 2012, 3:26 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #12

In the movie, do you see them flip through the pages of the book, or just open the front cover?

If they don't flip through the pages, I would make the majority of the thickness from foam, and maybe only a page or two, from paper.

You could then make thin casts of the outside edges of a book of similar thickness, cut them to length and then glue them to the foam block to look like the edge of a real book.

Saves you from having to cut through 400+ pages, with extreme precision.

-Fred
  13. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Aug 9, 2012, 10:17 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #13

Where did you find a rock hammer the correct size?
  14. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Aug 9, 2012, 10:21 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #14

Edit: Sorry found this one here linked to RPF
    http://lisparc.wordpress.com/2011/01...ion-the-bible/
    Last edited by jojomanzo; Aug 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
    From
    Wirral, UK
    Aug 9, 2012, 10:23 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #15

I have used my laser cutter on books before, with the laser on the lowest power setting it cuts 2-3 sheets at a time with no burn marking. Just make sure you have something behind those pages
  16. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Aug 9, 2012, 10:32 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #16

jojomanzo said: View Post
    Do you know the exact bible/ISBN or version number, etc? Or is it a closely guarded secret Thanks, it would be fun to make one of these for sure

I guess details are on the screen shot when he reads Andy's note... but I can't make it out. Need BluRay.
    They are pretty hard to come by.
    It is a National Bible Press bible.
    You can find the Red Letter version a bit easier, buy it has slight differences. Red page edges and some red text inside.

I have a coupe red letter versions and one of the real ones.
  17. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Aug 9, 2012, 10:33 AM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #17

jojomanzo said: View Post
    Do you know the exact bible/ISBN or version number, etc? Or is it a closely guarded secret Thanks, it would be fun to make one of these for sure

I guess details are on the screen shot when he reads Andy's note... but I can't make it out. Need BluRay.
    You can find the Red Letter version a bit easier, buy it has slight differences. Red page edges and some red text inside.

I have a couple red letter versions and luckily just picked up one of the real ones.
  18. Member Since
    Nov 2011
    Aug 9, 2012, 4:19 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #18

Does anyone have any vector art for the note inside?

I am going to try to trace it now from a screen cap...just curious if I am reinventing the wheel here
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Aug 24, 2012, 10:19 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #19

Moviefreak said: View Post

I have a coupe red letter versions and one of the real ones.
    Hey all. For a few months I have referenced an old thread on this site in my search for a Bible for a friend's Birthday, so I thought I would add a slight bit of info for anyone looking.

When it comes down to specific versions, I saw that even just a few weeks ago, a user on here had "the" Bible for sale. I don't know what year that one was, but I just recently bought a 1944 KJV by National Bible Press. It is almost a perfect copy. Same font color, size, style, etc. Page numbers match up, as well as titles/text at the top of each page.

I have viewed multiple screen grabs online, and from what I can tell the only difference between mine and the exact version is that mine has a gold bookmark ribbon instead of purple, as well as some water damage near the bottom (thus me snagging it for around 20 bucks). I looked for some sort of ISBN marker, but can't find anything. Still though, if anyone is ever on Ebay or similar sites and sees a 1944 version with a gold bookmark ribbon, it is probably worth snagging!
  20. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Aug 24, 2012, 10:55 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #20

The problem isn't identifying the exact year and make used, that has been known for ages.... The problem is finding them pop up for sale, that can take a while. But many people own the exact bible and they do sell them from time to time in the Junk Yard here.

JDlou84 said: View Post
    Hey all. For a few months I have referenced an old thread on this site in my search for a Bible for a friend's Birthday, so I thought I would add a slight bit of info for anyone looking.

When it comes down to specific versions, I saw that even just a few weeks ago, a user on here had "the" Bible for sale. I don't know what year that one was, but I just recently bought a 1944 KJV by National Bible Press. It is almost a perfect copy. Same font color, size, style, etc. Page numbers match up, as well as titles/text at the top of each page.

I have viewed multiple screen grabs online, and from what I can tell the only difference between mine and the exact version is that mine has a gold bookmark ribbon instead of purple, as well as some water damage near the bottom (thus me snagging it for around 20 bucks). I looked for some sort of ISBN marker, but can't find anything. Still though, if anyone is ever on Ebay or similar sites and sees a 1944 version with a gold bookmark ribbon, it is probably worth snagging!
    Aug 24, 2012, 11:31 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #21

One could make a template from MDF/plywood/plexi, clamp the teh hells out of the pages to be cut and use a palm router. Just start shallow and slowly increase depth as needed or until you hit your wood backstop. The rpms should be high enough to cleanly strip away the excess material and leave a clean edge providing that the book is clamped correctly.
  22. But You Can Call Me Rich RPF Premium Member Moviefreak's Avatar
    From
    Orlando Florida
    Aug 24, 2012, 11:33 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #22

I would love to track down the right size hammer
  23. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Aug 25, 2012, 4:28 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #23

Sorry, I've never actually cut one of these yet. Won't until I have a rock hammer (and haven't found a decent one in all these years).

ssdesigner said: View Post
    The paper would catch fire. I did think about having it water-jet cut, but water also poses an interesting challenge with thin paper.

I think it's going to go just as Kurtyboy suggested, one page at a time.

Kurtyboy: have you successfully done one of these then? Any idea what page to end the cutting on? Do you have a vector template for the hammer?

If this goes well I plan to do a very small run of the rock hammers.

-Ss
  24. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    From
    Minneapolis
    Aug 27, 2012, 4:16 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #24

Thanks Kurty, I appreciate all the work you've put into all things Shawshank

Here is my Illustrator outline of the cutout:

Tomorrow I'll laser this out of 1/4" acrylic and see how it lines up.

Then, it's time to get busy cuttin', or get busy dyin'.

-Ss
  25. RPF Premium Member ssdesigner's Avatar
    From
    Minneapolis
    Aug 27, 2012, 4:24 PM - Re: Shawshank Bible - Need Help Cutting Pages #25

For those interested, the page that you can see through the cutout is page 763. The verse visible in the top left of the cutout is Psalm 119: "With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth".

That means you have to cut through 691 pages in total. My fingers already hurt :P

-Ss