Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Oct 22, 2010, 7:43 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #51

No, I didn't take any pictures of the interior. It was pitch black in there and hot as hell. There was standing water in there too and a few snakes. I basically stepped on the concrete pads that the steel cables were connected to in order to get to the front door, then took a quick pic of my cousin looking through the front door while wearing the helmet. I think we took the pics in 1995 or 96 ( I could have my years mixed up). Anyway, it was a long time ago and there was absolutely nothing worthwhile to see inside. I was in there long enough to take the pic and got out. Glad you guys like the pics though.
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 25, 2010, 12:05 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #52

EvilRocketeer said: View Post
    I believe there are several more blueprints regarding the bulldog cafe. I remember seeing some on the head and the eyes construction
    Yep. That item can be found here:

The Rocketeer Bulldog Cafe "Eyes" Production Blueprint

"Used during Filming to construct Full-Size Bulldog Cafe Eyeballs (10/26/90)". This must have been the San Pedro Bulldog "attic" set - especially since the main Bulldog set was already built by then and used for filming (starting 9/10/90).
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 25, 2010, 1:27 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #53

Tony Hardy said: View Post
    No, I didn't take any pictures of the interior. It was pitch black in there and hot as hell. There was standing water in there too and a few snakes. I basically stepped on the concrete pads that the steel cables were connected to in order to get to the front door, then took a quick pic of my cousin looking through the front door while wearing the helmet. I think we took the pics in 1995 or 96 ( I could have my years mixed up). Anyway, it was a long time ago and there was absolutely nothing worthwhile to see inside. I was in there long enough to take the pic and got out. Glad you guys like the pics though.
    Thanks for this info, Tony! Any idea if anybody documented the tearing down of the the Bulldog Café? Seems like somebody must have taken some pics as it was taken down - or being removed... About all I know is that it was put in place in May or June of 1991 and removed in the summer of 1996. The last Disney-MGM Studio Map/Guide I have found that shows it in place is dated Saturday July 13, 1996. By the next one I have found (Sunday August 18, 1996) it's gone.
    Oct 25, 2010, 2:22 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #54

Great new info and relevations! Thanks, folks!

Over the weekend I saw a promo for a PBS show about quirky buildings, and there was a quick shot of an old photo of something nearly identical to the Cafe from back in the day. Was neat to see.
    Oct 25, 2010, 3:03 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #55

Treadwell said: View Post
    Great new info and relevations! Thanks, folks!

Over the weekend I saw a promo for a PBS show about quirky buildings, and there was a quick shot of an old photo of something nearly identical to the Cafe from back in the day. Was neat to see.

Oct 25, 2010, 5:32 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #56

Here's the link to the Google satellite view of the of the Disney World "boneyard" mentioned earlier (not the backlot, the one for the whole park)

disney world - Google Maps

I don't see the Bulldog Cafe but it's a safe bet some pieces of it as well as the Gee Bee & Autogyro are there somewere. (you can still see the hulls from some form of boat)
    Last edited by JayPHX; Oct 25, 2010 at 5:59 PM. Reason: Edit
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 25, 2010, 9:24 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #57

JayPHX said: View Post
    Here's the link to the Google satellite view of the of the Disney World "boneyard" mentioned earlier (not the backlot, the one for the whole park)

disney world - Google Maps

I don't see the Bulldog Cafe but it's a safe bet some pieces of it as well as the Gee Bee & Autogyro are there somewere. (you can still see the hulls from some form of boat)
    Thanks for the aerial, Jay. Maybe somebody familiar with where the Bulldog ended up can do a screen grab and mark it up.
  8. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Oct 25, 2010, 11:30 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #58

From what I remember the Cafe was removed within a year or so of my visit. I recall that my cousin (the castmember) told me that it was being removed to make way for some type of Christmas lights exhibit and that it was being destroyed. That was very sad to hear, but on my visit it was starting to look like it wouldn't last much longer anyway. Regardless, it's a GREAT memory, as my cousin was tragically killed in an auto accident in July 2009. We had a lot of fun adventures together and this was most certainly one of them.

The last time I visited the Disney MGM studio, there were still "Dolphins" statues from the South Seas Club outside of the main movie artifacts exhibit area. I don't know if they are still there though.
    Oct 26, 2010, 11:58 AM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #59

Here's a pic of the real Bulldog Cafe. I came across a bunch of information on it somewere, I'll try to find it again.

Oct 26, 2010, 12:00 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #60

Here's a pic of the real Bulldog Cafe. I came across a bunch of information on it somewere, I'll try to find it again.

I think that maybe a photoshop picture...I think the picture I posted was the original dog cafe in los angeles
    Oct 26, 2010, 12:16 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #61

I think that maybe a photoshop picture...I think the picture I posted was the original dog cafe in los angeles
    I'm pretty sure that at least it's not one built for the movie. The face of the Rocketeer version looked more like a dog, had windows above the door and other small details. But it could still be fake, who knows.....

Oct 26, 2010, 12:41 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #62

I ma pretty sure like 99.9% sure that it is a photoshopped photo of a dave stevens drawing of the bulldog cafe...great photoshop...remember some sites contain misleading info about the rocketeer and other things
    Oct 26, 2010, 12:45 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #63

Last edited by EvilRocketeer; Oct 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM.
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 26, 2010, 1:00 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #64

I ma pretty sure like 99.9% sure that it is a photoshopped photo of a dave stevens drawing of the bulldog cafe...great photoshop...remember some sites contain misleading info about the rocketeer and other things
    Wow! I have never seen that photo of the bulldog before. Can you say where you got it? Here's what I know about the original: The inspiration for the café as designed by Rocketeer comic book author and artist Dave Stevens was “The Dog Café”, a circa 1928 restaurant that was once located at 1153 West Washington Boulevard in Los Angeles, CA. “The Dog Café” was torn down in 1955 (the same year Stevens was born). The Dog should not be confused with another similar restaurant (c. 1930) farther west at 12732 West Washington Boulevard, Venice, CA* known as “The Pup” (I think you posted a picture of this one the other day). I've attached another Dog pic from “California Crazy” by Jim Heimann ©1990 Chronicle Books, San Francisco.
    Oct 26, 2010, 1:18 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #65

ECBBFan said: View Post
    Wow! I have never seen that photo of the bulldog before. Can you say where you got it?
    It's for sale on Corbis
    Restaurant Shaped Like Bulldog - Rights Managed - Corbis
    Oct 26, 2010, 1:26 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #66

hmmm, very interesting. I didnt know there were two dog cafes in los angeles. The picture above look photoshop. The guy standing in front just didnt look right among other things. It is hard to tell these days. i learned about the pup cafe because it was mentioned at the petersen automotive museum in los angeles...I got the picture above from 2719 HYPERION: February 2008

here are some pictures of a replica at the petersen museum,,,

here is another picture of the other dog cafe
    Oct 26, 2010, 1:29 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #67

Pretty cool find..
    Oct 26, 2010, 1:32 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #68

I agree, the guy in the front with the short pants looks a little out of place, like somebody said "this is how I'll make this picture look old"
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Oct 26, 2010, 5:07 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #69

Sometimes the truth is just stranger than fiction. Too bad Disney doesn't see any value in the Rocketeer. It wou;d've been great if they had replicated the Bulldog Cafe as a real refreshment stand operation at their parks.
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 26, 2010, 7:21 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #70

Sometimes the truth is just stranger than fiction. Too bad Disney doesn't see any value in the Rocketeer. It wou;d've been great if they had replicated the Bulldog Cafe as a real refreshment stand operation at their parks.
    It seems like a natural. From working in the entertainment industry, I've learned that when there is some mysterious decision made there is often a legal issue behind it. What that might have been in this case I have no idea.
    On another note, here's a cool aerial view of the Disney-MGM Studio Backlot when the Bulldog Café was in place (just at the lower right edge of the photo).
    Oct 27, 2010, 1:15 AM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #71

ECBBFan said: View Post
    On another note, here's a cool aerial view of the Disney-MGM Studio Backlot when the Bulldog Café was in place (just at the lower right edge of the photo).
    That is a pretty cool photo. Too bad the cafe is way off to the side and barely shown. It would be nice to see a perfect arial shot
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 27, 2010, 2:12 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #72

That is a pretty cool photo. Too bad the cafe is way off to the side and barely shown. It would be nice to see a perfect arial shot
    I agree. Amazing how such a famous, popular and unusual building has so few decent pictures of it available - even considering that it's lifespan was basically before the age of digital photography. I'll keep looking...
  23. Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Oct 28, 2010, 5:38 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #73

I think I might have a few more pics from my visit to the Cafe. I'll try to dig them up and post them.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Oct 28, 2010, 6:03 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #74

Sorry, this isn't cafe related at all but it is Rocketeer related. I was watching Cougar Town last night (the halloween episode) and someone walked right by the camera with a Rocketeer helmet. I wondered if it was the (or one of the) actual helmet/s used for the movie. I've never seen the movie but I know it was a Disney movie and Cougar Town is on ABC which is owned by Disney. There was a serious close up on it, just seemed weird, is all. Just thought I'd post that while I remembered it. The show also broadcasts in HD if anyone wants to go check.

It was probably nothing but figured there was no harm in posting it. Besides maybe derailing the thread for a second. I really didn't think it warranted a new thread. Ignore this if it's irrelevant.
    From
    Burbank, CA
    Oct 28, 2010, 6:33 PM - Re: Rocketeer "Bulldog Cafe" pic... #75

I think I might have a few more pics from my visit to the Cafe. I'll try to dig them up and post them.
    That would be great! Meanwhile here is another angle on the Bulldog at Disney-MGM c. 1991 (from www.allenpinney.com: September 2010)