Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    Mar 15, 2011, 2:30 PM - Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #1

Well I forgot my psychic paper at my apartment, over three hours away, and I plan to debut my blue suit ten this weekend at c2e2. So I had to get crafty.

Thanks to Risu for dimensions

First: supplies

I got this journal at Target, it has a nice leathery outside, and shiny fabric inside

This is a binder that had a clear laminate cover

And of course some black thread and needles

First I tore apart the binder

Using the dimensions I created templates in photoshop (sadly I didn't save the file)

Then I cut out the pieces
    One large leather
    The inside nylon
    Two pieces of cardboard
    The pocket triangle
    And the laminate

Then it was assembly
    I first used white glue to attach the cardboard pieces. I used the templates to help with positioning. I then glued the fabric in. Next came the sewing. Now I'm now seamster so it's not pretty. To help I first went through and used a lager needle to pierce the holes in the pieces. For the overlap I pinned it in place first then pierced through all layers. The I sewed it up. I'm not happy with the corners but for ~6 hours of work, it will do

Finally I measured the area for the paper, photoshopped an appropriately sized rectangle, printed, cut and inserted

And thats about it. I will see about uploading a template later.
    Last edited by protokev DMD; Mar 15, 2011 at 10:21 PM.
    From
    staten island ny
    Mar 15, 2011, 2:38 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build #2

that is COOL!!! great job!!!
  3. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    Mar 15, 2011, 4:38 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build #3

Thanks!
    another better picture

with the laminate system i can also do this (printer ran out of color hence the purplish hue)

as promised templates, 1:1 should do it.
    Last edited by protokev DMD; Jul 5, 2012 at 6:05 PM.
    From
    Norway
    Mar 15, 2011, 4:49 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build #4

This was awesome! Think you can recreate the template?

EDIT: So yeah, you got the template in here right before I posted xD
  5. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    Mar 15, 2011, 6:45 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build #5

The benefits of a time machine, i can answer questions right before you ask :P

So i am a stickler and made a decent fix on the corners. Still not perfect but better.

From
    Ohio
    Mar 15, 2011, 7:26 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build #6

That looks amazing!! Thank you for posting the template. I've never seen anyone make their own psychic paper. Now I can make one for my Doctor for Dragon*Con. Thank you!!!
    From
    Orange, CA
    Mar 16, 2011, 1:15 AM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #7

You can also write whatever you want on cards cut to the right size and the paper can say anything you want it to when you flip it open. If you're good at slight of hand, you might actually be able to freak some people out.
  8. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    Mar 16, 2011, 10:33 AM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #8

Or use it to pick up "companions" ....your choice.

Pirogoeth, glad to be of help. Be sure to post pics when its done
    From
    Ohio
    Mar 16, 2011, 12:00 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #9

Will do, sir!
  10. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    Dec 4, 2011, 10:48 AM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #10

Someone asked me about this the other day, so i thought id bump it up.
  11. Gone but not forgotten.
    From
    Ohio Valley, Kentucky.
    Dec 22, 2011, 6:24 AM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #11

Well, I am very impressed...having received one of these for Christmas...again thank you!

Dec 22, 2011, 1:13 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #12

OH MY GOD. I am such an idiot. Watching Who for YEARS and *never* did I realize that when the Doctor (mostly noticed with Tennant) would hold up the little leather wallet/ID badge thing to people asking questions, it was the psychic paper. I thought the people were just reacting to the blank "badge" because they were slow.

(Yes, I'd seen the psychic paper in other uses, but somehow I didn't connect that it was one and the same! I'm a bad fan.)
  13. Who's your Paddy? RPF Premium Member youngpaddy1's Avatar
    Dec 22, 2011, 3:42 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #13

Always thought this prop would be cool with a lenticular picture in it so you could have a multitude of I.Ds change places 'in front of your very eyes'.
  14. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    Apr 9, 2012, 6:19 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #14

how much did the portfolio cost?
  15. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    Apr 9, 2012, 7:24 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #15

Bout 8 bucks
  16. Member Since
    Apr 2011
    Apr 12, 2012, 6:23 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #16

Thank you so much! Definitely will be doing this.
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 20, 2012, 12:25 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #17

I had a problem with printing. I kept re-sizing it to make the correct sized wallet, but the large rectangle keeps coming out too tall and too thin. Any ideas on what to do?
  18. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 20, 2012, 12:28 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #18

I meant to put a sad face, so here it is:
  19. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 20, 2012, 12:34 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #19

If any one is listening, I've managed to get the rectangle to 5.5 in. wide, but still almost 8 in. high.
  20. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    May 20, 2012, 2:29 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #20

i think i might have mistyped the size, let me do some double checking
  21. protokev DMD is offline protokev DMD
    May 20, 2012, 2:31 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #21

Alright, mistyped, the first template has exess material to allow for the foldover. the inner rectangle is about 4.75 X7, the outer one however is more like 5.5 x 7.7

i would try printing 1:1 with no scaling of both pieces. the width of the cardboard rectangles should match the width of the inner rectangle
    Last edited by protokev DMD; May 20, 2012 at 2:38 PM.
    May 20, 2012, 3:20 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #22

there's a magic trick called thought transmitter or thought reader that looks very akin to this. if you were to print that doctors library card on acetate you could show blank paper one second and with a wave of the hand show the card.
    From
    Germany
    May 21, 2012, 4:10 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #23

Nice! Great work on that!
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 22, 2012, 8:15 PM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #24

I ended up just trimming down the template and re-drawing the border. Other than that the process has been going smoothly, but I am too lazy to post pictures . Did you sew on the back of the wallet? Not sewing there will save me a lot of trouble because of the stitch pattern I am using.
  25. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    From
    England Portsmouth
    Jun 7, 2012, 7:47 AM - Re: Doctor Who Psychic Paper Scratch Build. Tutorial and templates added! #25

looks amazing just like the one use in doctor who i am defiantly going to make one