Page 1 of 377 1234561151 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    May 7, 2012, 1:01 PM - 1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build #1

Hi Folks,

It's with great pleasure that I announce this new project. A 1:1 replica of the Millennium Falcon's main console (with ESB details)

Some of you may know about my Millennium Falcon sketchup cockpit thread (which has grown to include the rest of the interior of the falcon, the exterior of the fullscale falcon, and docking bay 94, and which can been seen here)

Recently, fellow RPFer SofaKing01 purchased my model of the center console, which I had designed in sketchup in 1:1 scale from production blueprints, and then which I detailed from screencaps and behind the scenes materials. He has begun the build already, and, even if I say so, the results are looking fantastic (see attachments for more images)

we are also working on a greeble map for the cockpit, and we're hoping to get some help identifying parts.

As you can see, we have a few parts nailed. But as rest the rest:

Help us RPF... you're our only hope.

Last edited by SteveStarkiller; Dec 30, 2013 at 11:42 AM.
    From
    Long Island, NY
    May 7, 2012, 1:47 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #2

Subscribing subscribing subscribing!!!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 7, 2012, 2:37 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #3

Hi Gang,

SofaKing01 here (aka Greg). After many years of looking at all the great builds I decided to become a member with the idea that I would tackle something "simple" like a 1/48th X-Wing build. Having built and blown up models as a kid... my 30+ year break was over. Everyone here had inspired me to shake the dust off and get back to building. And for that I thank you all.

I stumbled across Stevestarkiller's amazing 3D model of the MF and it simply BLEW ME AWAY! His attention to detail was mind boggling. How many of us thought we were actually in the MF? Then I remembered the 1:1 scale MF being built in TN - just an hour or so away from where I live... then I got to thinking... HMMMMMM... What if...

I contacted Stevestarkiller and we chatted and before I knew it, I was studying his 3D model of the MF cockpit control panel and made the decision to jump in and build the one thing MOST OF US HERE have dreamt about doing - sitting behind the wheel of the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

With Stevestarkiller's help he was able to get me ALL the dimensions necessary to start the console build. After a few trips to the local home improvement store and only one mis-measurement (GRRRR)... I created the basic shell in just a few hours.

Now... this is a VERY rough shell and there is still an incredible amount of work to do to include the daunting task of identifying any and all parts on the console and in the cockpit in general. I'm hoping to have working switches, lights, throttles and even the working monitor Han used to find the Lando System.

The overall plan is once the console is finished I will donate it to Chris Lee and his full scale MF build. What better way to finish off a project than to send it where it belongs. : )

I hope you guys take the time to drop by and give us tips, tricks and any and all input in helping bring the console to life.

More to come! Stay Tuned!
    Last edited by SofaKing01; May 7, 2012 at 8:56 PM. Reason: added more
    May 7, 2012, 2:49 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #4

Can I go for a ride when it's done??

This looks to be very promising!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 7, 2012, 2:53 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #5

ABSOLUTELY! The more the merrier! I was very surprised at how narrow the entire console actually is. Naturally I had to sit at the console... But it does explain the tight shots when fiming.
    From
    Melbourne
    May 7, 2012, 2:59 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #6

LOL you chaps have opened a can all up in here! Only one way to top this.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 7, 2012, 4:09 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #7

Hi Gang,

Just a quick note... Stevestarkiller let me know that Chris Lee's full scale MF build is based on the ESB version. As many of us know there were substantial changes made to the cockpit and hull from the ANH version - as the story expanded... so did the prop.

There are several images of the ESB cockpit and console that DO in fact conflict with one another. Stevestarkiller and I have been able to find a few of these conflicts but can use your help and trained eyes. Having built the 3D model with such detail, I can't think of anybody with a more trained eye than Stevestarkiller! : )

Thanks

SK
  8. Member Since
    Dec 2007
    May 7, 2012, 4:27 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #8

Oh man, I can't wait to watch the progress of this amazing project!!!!! Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic!!!
    May 7, 2012, 4:38 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #9

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    ABSOLUTELY! The more the merrier! I was very surprised at how narrow the entire console actually is. Naturally I had to sit at the console... But it does explain the tight shots when fiming.

No worries. I actually have a fairly slender build. My user name and avatar are all just for show!
    From
    Los Angeles CA
    May 7, 2012, 5:28 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #10

And.... subscribed.
    From
    United Kingdom
    May 7, 2012, 5:42 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #11

O.M.G, This is going to be epic! I'm so subscribed.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 7, 2012, 8:37 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #12

Hey Gang! Updates are on their way... I made a lot of progress this afternoon. I added a lip to the inside panels and then attached the top/skins as to keep with the original measurements. I didnt get as far as I would like... I gotta eat...

Tomorrow I will continue adding the top panels, more filler and address the instrument panels. I will also be making the support structure as well. I'm not sure whether to create the actual seat support...

Once everything is finished I have to decide how to skin the panel itself. Stevestarkiller had heard that the designers used solid color linolium / Formica - blacks and greys. Anybody have any ideas? I also have to think about how the switches and buttons will mount. I would really like a clean look - as if its an actual instrument panel. Again... any ideas?

Stevestarkiller has the latest images and he's posting them ASAP...

Thanks

SK

Hope you guys enjoy!
    From
    Docking Bay 94
    May 7, 2012, 8:59 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #13

EXCELLENT!
  14. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    May 7, 2012, 9:09 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #14

Ive always wanted to have something like this or a Spinner interior, cant wait to see the finished product and the journey to it.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 8, 2012, 10:51 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #15

Hi Gang,

I apologize for the delay with getting the new pics posted. I'll be getting them uploaded as soon I'm off work.

Also... I was chatting with a buddy of mine and he seems to think the MF pilots chairs are nothing more than armchairs from the 60s/70s. I did a basic search on Ebay last night and didnt find anything that remotely looked similar... I'll try the vintage furniture sites next.

If anybody has any ideas... PLEASE let us know!

More to come! And again, sorry for the delay...
    May 8, 2012, 12:08 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #16

From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 8, 2012, 3:23 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #17

As promised... UPDATES!

Check out my awesome pilots chair... Yeah... I sat there... (hanging head in shame)
    Last edited by SofaKing01; May 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM. Reason: out of order
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 8, 2012, 7:34 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #18

More updates! Although you can't see much of them... I added support to the main structure along with more top panels, filler and sanding. By the looks of it... that's a console...

More to come!
    From
    Philadelphia, PA
    May 8, 2012, 7:36 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #19

Man! this is shaping up great. keep going!
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 8, 2012, 7:47 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #20

Hey S,

Thanks! I still have LOTS of sanding to do to get the edges where I want them. But overall I'm very happy with the shape. Those instrument panels are looking a little lonely...
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 8, 2012, 9:42 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #21

Hi Gang,

I'm going to need a little help identifying a few key parts to the console. First off is the rocker style knobs used on the instrument panel. They are the same as the slider knobs behind Chewie's cockpit seat as well the knobs seen in the "couch" near the chess board.

Next are the square buttons. We're not sure whether these are simple plastic pieces painted and then backlit or if they are actual push buttons. I would like to use actual push buttons to help add a little bit of realism.

Finally... the dreaded 2-3" dome style lights seen throughout the series. I've done an extensive search for these lights with chrome trim and so far I have been unable to find anything. I have found a few arcade style lights that might pass but I really want to find the actual lights used.

I just stumbled across this light - it's not a dome light but it is close... And I'm assuming it's 35mm

http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/rbm730sexx.htm

OK Gang... any ideas?
    Last edited by SofaKing01; May 8, 2012 at 9:54 PM. Reason: added text
    From
    Michigan
    May 8, 2012, 11:48 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #22

SofaKing01 said: View Post
    Hi Gang,

I'm going to need a little help identifying a few key parts to the console. First off is the rocker style knobs used on the instrument panel. They are the same as the slider knobs behind Chewie's cockpit seat as well the knobs seen in the "couch" near the chess board.

Next are the square buttons. We're not sure whether these are simple plastic pieces painted and then backlit or if they are actual push buttons. I would like to use actual push buttons to help add a little bit of realism.
    [QUOTE=SofaKing01;2249882]Hi Gang,

Some of the rockers appear to be the same as on the X-wing chest boxes. They were custom made from wood, but I would guess some were cast resin as well.
    The sliders are different. They're raised in the center (not recessed like the rockers). Those might be real parts.

Square buttons - again, the same as on the X-wing chest boxes. They're just squares of plastic. They might be lens covers for buttons, but not full buttons - definitely not functional, just backlit. They're blue and translucent white, not painted. They must have bought the things by the crate full because they're everywhere (sets, costumes, etc... even the Bond film Moonraker).

Harrison Ford said in an audio interview that none of the switches worked, they had no springs and he just had to pretend. IIRC - the interview was part of the Magic of Myth exhibit audio tour.
  23. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    May 9, 2012, 1:16 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #23

I love this! I will be watching this thread for sure.
    From
    Huntsville, AL
    May 9, 2012, 8:13 AM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #24

Hi C,

Stevestarkiller told me the same thing about the buttons and switches - makes sense. No reason to go overboard on a prop that isnt going to see a whole lot of screen time.

For me, the reason / goal in creating the panel was to not only help Chris Lee and his project, but to have a more interactive experience not just build a static display. I've done a lot of looking online and found similar working buttons but I've had no luck on the rocker / slider knobs (at least not that size). I've been chatting with a former Vickers pilot and he told me the rockers are similar to those found on a G-1 overhead panel. He said he has 22 working rockers for sale at 12 each. But they are all the same shape.

Too all our members - anybody out there willing to tackle the possibility of creating some illuminated rocker/slider knobs out of resin? Like the backlit buttons, they are located EVERYWHERE throughout the MF.

OK... off to work. Stay Tuned
    Last edited by SofaKing01; May 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM. Reason: edits
    From
    United Kingdom
    May 9, 2012, 1:54 PM - Re: 1:1 Millennium Falcon Console Replica #25

Hi

Got any good referance pics and measurements of the switch/button you want casting? I'm hopefully going to be making some moulds and casts in the next few weeks. I could include a few small items if you want, plus it'll help use any left overs I have of the silicone and resins that don't get used.