Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Nov 15, 2013, 11:05 PM - Combat ready Dark Knight armor (New stuff 8-14) #1

So I'm doing a Dark Knight build. Very un-origonal, I know, but regardless. Besides simply loving and wanting to portray Batman, I'm building TDK suit because I think it's very cool looking and would be a rather simple build. I'm not going the traditional make-a-master-then-latex-mold route, but rather having the whole suit be made from hard, impact resistant plastics. Although I doubt I'd ever get the chance to spar while wearing this batsuit, I like building things that are super durable and can take repeated hits. For this reason, I'm doing the build nearly entirely out of 1/4" Sintra. At 1/8", Sintra is to brittle for this application, and scratches very easily, but it's MUCH denser at 1/4" and is extremely impact resistant, as well as quite lightweight.

A few things to know about this build:
    • Entirely impact resistant plastic construction
    • 100% mechanically secured (as in no glue)
    • Going for 90% accuracy (I care more about making something that looks good to making something super accurate)
    • Everything's made freehand

So lets jump in, shall we?

CHEST PLATE:
    I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

This piece was about 4 hours of work to get to this stage, which is quite alot, but I'm very happy with it. I did use a bit of hotglue just to get the pieces lined up correctly, and then poured in some Smooth-on 65D to combine it into one solid piece, hence mechanically fastened. Still needs the bat symbol, but I'm going to add that later. You'll see why in a bit.

Shoulders:
    Here I took some more step-by-step pictures, so I'll use them to explain the process I use to shape each piece.

After cutting out the initial shape with a razor blade, I cut groves into the rear of the plate along which I will be heating and folding the plastic, as the shoulder has to fold in 2 directions at once, which is quite difficult with 1/4" Sintra.

After getting the horizontal bend, I cut a bit more into the top and folded it inwards to make the bend for the top of the shoulder pad. I then heated the center of the piece and pushed outward on it with my knee, to create a bulge.

I taped off the top where the edges didn't meet and poured in 65D in a few layers to fill in the groves cut earlier for added stability, and to fill the gaps in the top. Looks craptastic, but not for long.

Good bit of sanding later and we have a nice, relatively correctly shaped shoulderpad. I still have a good bit of work let to do here, so I'll post more as it gets done.
    Last edited by Armatus Cosplay; Aug 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM.
  2. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Nov 15, 2013, 11:09 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #2

Chest Plate:

I know this isn't how the chest is normally secured, but this is how I'm choosing to do it, because it's quite comfortable and won't be visible under the cape anyway.

Thats my cape mounting point (I know it's hard to see). One in each side obviously. Don't mind the mess in the top part of the chest, lots of sanding left to be done there.

Size test:

I think the scale is dead on, and it doesn't even inhibit movement hardly at all. I'm very happy with it so far
    Nov 16, 2013, 10:08 AM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #3

Looks great, keep it up.
  4. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #4

Gauntlets:
    Decided to make two master spikes and mold them so they would all match, rather then having to cut out each individual one and having them look crooked.

Made the mold using Rebound 25, came out pretty good. You can see some of the pulls above the mold, which where done in 65D.

Decided to make the gauntlet in 2 parts, a top piece and one that wrapped around my arm. Didn't take the pictures of the individual steps, but I will when I make the second one. After bending the two shapes together, I cut slots through both to hold the spikes, and then mounted them in. To secure them, I poured in some more 65D, which was very messy, and means I have alot more sanding work to do until this is a finished piece, but they're super stable and fully capable of taking hits.

5. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    From
    Southern California.
    Nov 19, 2013, 6:20 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #5

Lookin' good! Can't wait to see more!
  6. Member Since
    Nov 2013
    From
    Texas
    Nov 21, 2013, 5:55 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #6

That looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!
  7. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Nov 22, 2013, 4:06 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #7

I've done some temporary rigging using elastic fabrics to connect the shoulders to the chest assembly, and am quite pleased with how everything fits and moves. However, I've decided that the gauntlet is scaled just a bit to small, as it leaves almost 2 inches of space between where it ends and where my elbow starts. So I'm going to make a bigger one, and then decide which one is more comfortable/better looking and make a third to match the one that I choose.
    However, while starting that yesterday, I sliced my thumb open pretty bad with the razor that I use to cut through the Sintra. I'm gonna be perfectly fine, but I'm very turned off of using razors now, cause it's not the first time this has happened, this is just the worst I've had it. I have a scroll saw that I haven't used in a year or so, and I'm going to try to find blades for it this weekend and use that to cut through the Sintra instead, to both minimalism the risk for personal injury, and also speed up the cutting process. Hoping to have a new gauntlet done by Sunday *crosses fingers
  8. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Nov 24, 2013, 8:00 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #8

Found some blades for the scroll saw and got back to work. Can't remember why I ever stopped using it in the first place, it makes work so much faster and easier.

Remade the gauntlet, this one's scaled up quite a bit. Almost makes the spikes look to small, but oh well.

It's actually moderately comfortable, and extremely stable. Difficult to get on and off, but that's not really a big deal, considering how secure it is when it's on.

The chest piece and left arm are now both almost finished, so I did a quick suit up to demonstrate the flexibility I have and help better explain why I'm rigging the suit the way I am.

Almost no hindrance to elbow flex:

Also can raise my arm quite high. This is because the shoulder pad tucks neatly under the supporting brace that connects the chest and shoulder blade pieces.

Note that the smaller gauntlet worn on my picture taking arm is the first gauntlet I made and won't be used in the actual finished costume, I just put it on for fun.

Hope you guys like it so far. I for one am very happy with it.
    Last edited by Armatus Cosplay; Nov 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM.
  9. Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Nov 24, 2013, 8:17 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #9

Your sintra work is really clean! Nice job!
  10. Member Since
    Dec 2013
    Dec 1, 2013, 5:40 AM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #10

Hi I think your idea of making a a combat suit ready for combat is great but actually you have never add combat experience its seem first its to think about armor is to the Impact absorption because having a hard shell is great still impact after one it is one thing but multiple blow is another.
    Your armor lack impact absorber and plastic is made to that because its hard it will transfer to your flesh because it don't break so you need internal padding for that purpose to avoid bruise because in combat if you don't have training to move with the hit you will get bruised.
    The best way and cheaper way to to that is to buy a BMX protective shirt i will add a huge impact absorption capability and will make you more buff because you are very skinny (no offense but when you look for combat you need to be build for it and muscle is not just eye candy)
    Anyway I hope to see your costume finished because its look to damn good ;D
  11. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 1, 2013, 8:29 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #11

tdraven said: View Post
    Hi I think your idea of making a a combat suit ready for combat is great but actually you have never add combat experience its seem first its to think about armor is to the Impact absorption because having a hard shell is great still impact after one it is one thing but multiple blow is another.
    Your armor lack impact absorber and plastic is made to that because its hard it will transfer to your flesh because it don't break so you need internal padding for that purpose to avoid bruise because in combat if you don't have training to move with the hit you will get bruised.
    The best way and cheaper way to to that is to buy a BMX protective shirt i will add a huge impact absorption capability and will make you more buff because you are very skinny (no offense but when you look for combat you need to be build for it and muscle is not just eye candy)
    Anyway I hope to see your costume finished because its look to damn good ;D
    I'm having difficult understanding exactly what you're saying, but I think you're saying that because the armor is all plastic it's not as impact resistant as if it was plastic and a cushy material underneath. That's a good point, but I'm much tougher then I may look. The reason I'm just doing plastic armor and no underneath component is simple because I don't think I'll need any more impact resistance then just the plastic. I don't expect to actually fight in this armor, I just like the idea that the plates are hard plastic as opposed to latex or urethane, both for the look and feel, and I think it's closer to what Batman would actually wear.

As for actual fighting, I have plenty of experience. I'm actually a martial arts instructor, and hold a black belt in Steve Demasco's Shaolin Kung-fu and am currently approaching a black belt in Pro-Martial Arts Taekwondo. Not to say I'd go into MMA or UFC or anything, because I wouldn't, but I'm confident in my self defense abilities. Yes, I am a skinny lightweight, but I'm not without muscle. I'm certainly not buff, but I have a modest 6-pack and a lot of endurance. There are lots of philosophies about fighting, and I'd rather not start a flame war about which is best or correct, but I follow the Chinese philosophy that states that personal size is irrelevant to combat, but rather the determining factor is technique and personal skill. Here's a pic btw:

ANYWAY......
    Back to the build. I got in some 1/16" ABS sheets for some of the detail work, and started with putting the bat on the chest plate. This was cut out with the scroll saw, and sanded to the correct shape both with a dremel and by hand. It was then bent into shape using a heat gun and secured the chest plate using super glue. I then drilled 10 holes through the bat and chest plate and blocked them off with tape, and poured in 65D in the back to physically bond the bat to the chest. Then did some filler primer and sanding, and I still have a bit more of that to go before I'll be happy with it.

Also got the second gauntlet done:
  12. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 3, 2013, 9:59 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #12

Got a lot of little bits done today, some additional sanding work on a few pieces so they fit and move alittle better. Also got the second shoulder pad and bicep guard rigged up to the chest assembly. There are screws showing where the elastic is attached, but they will be sanded down and blended in when the panels are finished and painted. Its actually almost comfortable, which I'm quite pleased about

Also did a mobility test to show how everything moves, as I'm quite pleased with it. There is a bit of noise when moving quickly as the plates shift and collide into one another, but that doesn't bother me.

From
    Austin, Tx
    Dec 3, 2013, 10:44 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #13

Looks pretty good. Since you're going for mobility, do you plan on building a flexible spinal cord protector kind of set up?
  14. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 3, 2013, 10:55 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #14

Feledran said: View Post
    Looks pretty good. Since you're going for mobility, do you plan on building a flexible spinal cord protector kind of set up?
    Thank you
    I'm going to be doing overlapping plates for the spine, which will connect to thin strips of ABS plastic hidden under the mesh suit, so they can bend toward and away from each other. Thats also how I'm going to be rigging the abs.
    From
    Austin, Tx
    Dec 4, 2013, 12:56 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #15

Sounds awesome, look forward to seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Midland, Texas
    Dec 8, 2013, 10:59 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #16

hello IceTyrant, your ideas are ingenius. Very well constructed and perfectly planned. Cannot wait to see how the rest pans out. i must ask, what was your budget for the sintra, where did you buy/order it, and any tips for how to get started on the bat-Suit??
  17. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 8, 2013, 11:55 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #17

My budget? Not sure, considering the suit isn't done yet. I just bought the cape fabric a few days ago (I'll have pics of it soon), which was $40 with half off from Joann Fabrics. The Sintra was all purchased on Amazon, although the supplier there does occasionally run out. I'm probably ~$200 into the project right now, including the Sintra, molding materials, the 65D, fabrics for the suit and cape, Rubies belt (which I will be modifying) and the gloves. I fully expect to spend another $200 or so making and molding a cowl, and I'm not sure how much I'm going to be spending on boots yet. I'm just estimating, but when this build is complete, I'll probably have sunk $400-500 into it.
    From
    Midland, Texas
    Dec 9, 2013, 12:21 AM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #18

That's a reasonable investment, especially for combat ready material, would you mind giving a list of all the materials just flat out? If not, I understand
  19. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 9, 2013, 11:17 AM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #19

I did in the above post as best I could. I don't know how much I've spent in on each individual material, cause I haven't been keeping track. I've used probably 2 sheets of 24" by 48" Sintra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dec 9, 2013, 12:11 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #20

Very cool build
  21. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 10, 2013, 7:23 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #21

Gloves came in today! Got them on amazon for $20. I know the knuckles of TDK gloves are supposed to be separated, but that really makes no sense combat wise, and I like the look of these ones. The knuckle on them is made from a hard Kevlar, and I'm quite happy with them. Also just about finished the cape, just need to hem in one more edge.

More suit up shots, as I feel the cape really starts to bring the cosplay to life:

I'll post a video of the cape moving once it warms up a bit outside, or the snow at least melts (got 6" of snow today). It's 92% polyester and 8% spandex, so it has just the little bit of required stretch to let it snap when being whipped around. It's also extremely light weight, and blows around a bit when I walk. I'm very happy with it
    Dec 10, 2013, 8:24 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #22

Beautiful build you have there my friend! I'm extremely inspired. The cape is particularly spectacular! Have you given any thought to how you're going to clip it to your chest armour? The photographs are a little too small for me to pick out the details. Are you using a basic tuck and fold or are you thinking about making some custom clips? I'm giving my cape the same consideration. Still working on my chest armour so I haven't cracked clipping the cape yet.
  23. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Dec 10, 2013, 9:12 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #23

Black Dog said: View Post
    Beautiful build you have there my friend! I'm extremely inspired. The cape is particularly spectacular! Have you given any thought to how you're going to clip it to your chest armour? The photographs are a little too small for me to pick out the details. Are you using a basic tuck and fold or are you thinking about making some custom clips? I'm giving my cape the same consideration. Still working on my chest armour so I haven't cracked clipping the cape yet.
    Thank you so much for your kind words, they really boost my motivation to keep building
    I toyed with clipping ideas for hours when I first got the fabric for the cape, and was going to use metal carabiners which I'd sew into the cape to hook onto metal pins that I put inbetween the chest plate and shoulder straps earlier in the build (can be seen in my second post in this thread). However, the space between the plates is quite tight and I was having trouble getting even the smallest carabiners I could find in and out of them with any sort of ease. So I ditched the idea, and was back to not having one, until I eventually came up with buttons on the shoulder straps. It's not the most accurate securing method, but really nothing about this build is very accurate, I just want it to look really good.

I found a few large plastic button shaped objects in my garage, and screwed them into the shoulder straps just above the chest plate, as that's where I want the cape to start, as apposed to traditionally starting at the top of the shoulders. This technique could easily be used at the top of the shoulders, but I really like the covered shoulders look, and it's easier to get the cape to stay that way with a lower mounting point. Then, I measured up the cape and snipped two small holes where they lined up with the mounting buttons. I then sewed around the cuts to prevent the holes from getting any bigger, and Tada! A very simple and secure cape mounting system is complete. Most of the time the buttons are not even visible, as the cape fabric flaps around quite alot and covers them at nearly every angle, but even when they are visible, they don't bother me, as they are black and simple just like the rest of the armor, and don't stand out at all.

Last edited by Armatus Cosplay; Dec 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM.
    Dec 10, 2013, 9:57 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #24

Dude this is looking awesome!
    From
    Midland, Texas
    Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 PM - Re: Combat ready Dark Knight armor (WIP) #25

It's looking absolutely awesome! The cape brings more life to it, just makes it look awesome. This thread is the best I've seen!! Very good!! Thanks for sharing this!!