Subscribe
    From
    Jamison, Pennsylvania
    Jul 23, 2012, 1:44 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1751

Maybe he did know his cargo, he was just trying to get it to its destination before he bought the farm. maybe I am mistaken, but wasn't the premise that the Engineer's decided they should wipe out mankind around 2000 years ago, but whatever accident occured at that time stopped them, and the surving few went into stasis.

maybe they were preparing the eggs and readying the ship that came to crash land on LV-426 when that accident happened. On of the infected Engineers decided to try to complete the mission anyway and didn't make it as far as he hoped.
    Jul 26, 2012, 9:36 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1752

Jul 27, 2012, 2:03 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1753

That would have been funny if all this hadn't been discussed to death already.
  4. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Jul 27, 2012, 2:38 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1754

Clutch said: View Post
    That would have been funny if all this hadn't been discussed to death already.
    It's not dead if the movie will still be around. I have a feeling it will be. Poor Charles. He says this release will be his most proudest work.
    From
    Madison, Florida
    Jul 28, 2012, 6:14 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1755

I know this is a thread that's been discussed to death and that it should die. I don't know if anyone else has brought this up in the tread (seriously it's hard to cover 71 pages worth of info to make sure), but it appears that Scott apparently had an idea about what the Space Jockey/Engineer and the ship on LV-426 we see in Alien was as far back as 2003, which apparently carried over into Prometheus. I'm watching the Blu-Ray (which includes of the 2003 audio commentary), and he says the following about it in between the changing of the "A Word of Warning" and "Kane's Descent" chapters: "I think the space jockey is actually somehow the pilot, and he's part of a military operation - if that's the word you want to apply to his world - and therefore, this is probably some kind of carrier. A weapon carrier, a biological or biomechanoid carrier of lethal eggs, inside of which are these small creatures that will actually fundamentally integrate - in a very aggressive way, into any society or any place it is dropped." In addition, during the bit where Ripley suits up, Scott talks about how the four Alien films mark basically one chapter of the whole story and that no one "has done a story about how the space jockey came to be or what the space jockey is." Even in the final shot, Signorney Weaver even states about how interesting it would be to "great to go back and see what their society is, if they have one."

I don't know if that still applies or is applicable, I just found out about it and thought it was an interesting detail that was let out long before Scott decided to do Prometheus. Has anyone else head this before?
    Last edited by CB2001; Jul 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM.
    From
    Sweden
    Jul 29, 2012, 12:37 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1756

Yeah, Ive heard him say that too.
  7. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Jul 30, 2012, 9:09 AM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1757

CB2001 said: View Post
    I don't know if that still applies or is applicable, I just found out about it and thought it was an interesting detail that was let out long before Scott decided to do Prometheus. Has anyone else head this before?
    I have, and no where in the commentary or documentaries does anyone say that the Space Jockeyw as a suit. I will not let that one go.

Also, there were some folks who wanted to go to the Space Jockey homeworld. In the Alien3 "Wreckage and Rage" documentary, Renny Harlin was approached and he wanted to go to the Alien home world. But the producers wanted none of that so they went with another alien movie with Ripley being the lone survivor of the previous movie again.

It's like 20th Century Fox did not want the alien franchise to do anything but focus solely on the xenomorphs in every possible way. It wasn't until the franchise was pretty much dead that they decided to finally do what Ridley Scott wanted to do.

Problem? Hire this writer to write the story.

Jon Spaihts, writer of The Darkest Hour..... A movie that is not only his sole credit at the time, but was also one of the most heavily panned films of the year. And in a move that surprised no one, the script wasn't that good, and Damon Lindelof was brought in to fix things and un-prequelize it. Again, the man who is carrying out a morbid love affair with JJ Abrams' mystery box was the guy they hired to rework the script. I'm very certain that his rewrites of World War Z will be hailed as a monumental achievement in script doctoring.

This picture represents those who created life on Earth. Please take that seriously.
  8. RPF Premium Member knightdriver2001's Avatar
    From
    Vernon/South Windsor, Connecticut
    Jul 30, 2012, 1:35 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1758

If I had to harbor a guess on the LV426 ship.

I would say that the chestbuster that popped out of the Jockey
    was a queen and she had laid all of those eggs after the crash. She
    just kept pumping them out for how ever many years she was down
    there.

If she didn't die during that time, she made her way over to the colony
    once all of there crew and family started getting face pumped. The face
    hugger that Newts family brought back there (already attached) had birthed
    the first alien which had somehow gotten the queen to come over or it was
    a new queen entirely.

As for Prometheus, I was really excited to see this until i did. Was very
    let down by the whole thing. just a poor concept from beginning to end.
  9. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Jul 30, 2012, 2:00 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1759

knightdriver2001 said: View Post
    If I had to harbor a guess on the LV426 ship.
    Here's my take. The derelict ship didn't crash. It actually landed on what I can assume was a holding area for the eggs. I just don't think that egg chamber is a part of the ship given the sheer size and how it's apparently under the ship. The reason the ship looks out the way it does and why you can't see the holding area was due to centuries of molten activity.

Whether the ship was loading or unloading the eggs, something happened to cause one of the eggs to be disturbed and unleash one of the face huggers. While the Space Jockey (NOT ENGINEER) tried to send out a warning to what happened, the face hogger got to him just in time for him not to finish the signal. Once it awoke, it's memory of the incident was wiped clean (as it happened to Kane) and before he could figure out why he was on the planet, boom.

Now, why the acid hole in the ground? I have some theories, but they're pretty far fetched. One theory I have is that the face hugger was able to excrete acid (Kane's melted instead of cracked helmet) and managed to get through the holding area into the Jockey's cabin. How? Well, there are some areas of the cargo hold where liquid drips upwards. :O
    From
    Wirral, UK
    Jul 30, 2012, 2:22 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1760

Jon Spaihts, writer of The Darkest Hour..... A movie that is not only his sole credit at the time, but was also one of the most heavily panned films of the year. And in a move that surprised no one, the script wasn't that good, and Damon Lindelof was brought in to fix things and un-prequelize it
    Actually, Spaihts was a script doctor on Darkest Hour. He rewrote Leslie Bonham's script, which was then rewritten again by director Chris Gorak.

Spaihts Alien prequel script was commissioned by Scott because Spaihts was seen as the 'go-to' guy for sci-fi thrillers due to a couple of unproduced scripts that were considered hot at that time.

Spaihts script was in place for a considerable period of pre-production, until Scott decided to run with the 'chariots of the gods' angle rather than a straight up prequel.

We don't know why Lindelof was brought in to re-write, but it's not inconceivable that it has to do with style rather than quality. The buzz has it that the original script was pretty good.
    Aug 2, 2012, 3:17 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1761

12. RPF Premium Member Mr Webber's Avatar
    From
    Terra Australis
    Aug 2, 2012, 6:15 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1762

alienscollection.com said: View Post
    Very nice, the King lives in Engineer form. Also the best conformation yet that SRS is making another Blade Runner. woowhooo.
    Is it too early to start a "Why i hate the new Blade Runner" thread? Just want to keep em all in the one spot and not continually annoy the people who do like it.
    Aug 3, 2012, 12:52 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1763

14. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Aug 3, 2012, 3:25 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1764

It's nice when the "Script Doctor" is the go to person to talk about the film.
    From
    Sweden
    Aug 3, 2012, 4:40 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1765

What do you get from writing down Prometheus? Did you actually read the interview at all before giving your comment?
  16. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Aug 3, 2012, 7:15 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1766

NAZGŪL said: View Post
    What do you get from writing down Prometheus? Did you actually read the interview at all before giving your comment?
    Yep. Sounds like he was more interested in talking about viral marketing than material that was actually in the movie. I mean, what are you expecting to get out of a writer who deliberately doesn't write coherent stories?

Lindelof: "I am driven and captivated and interested in these open-ended stories that have a high level of interpretation to them."

So was I to an extent Damon. But you took my favorite, open-ended element from the original movies and told us they're nothing more than Handsome Squidwards in suits. What you leave us with is just a bunch of stupid idiots wandering around in an alien environment who take their protective helmets off because they think they're an "inconvenience".
    From
    Southern California
    Aug 4, 2012, 12:37 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1767

I don't think you're taking into consideration how difficult it is for writers to work with Ridley Scott. He can be an unrelenting *******. When, as a writer working with him, you are a secondary contributor and any idea he takes to is given precedent ... you'd get kinda frustrated, despite the "honor" of working with him.
    Aug 4, 2012, 3:05 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1768

Jeyl said: View Post
    So was I to an extent Damon. But you took my favorite, open-ended element from the original movies and told us they're nothing more than Handsome Squidwards in suits. What you leave us with is just a bunch of stupid idiots wandering around in an alien environment who take their protective helmets off because they think they're an "inconvenience".
    You're making the incredible (and baseless) assumption that those things you mention are Lindelhof's ideas. I'm pretty sure they're actually Ridley Scott's. In fact, I'd be very surprised to find anything in the script that wasn't originally Scott's idea.

You people are assuming that Ridley Scott is too stupid to read, and will simply shoot whatever he's given without consideration or a second thought. So you point your finger at the guy that, in all reality, Ridley just looked at and said "Here, write this down..."
  19. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Aug 5, 2012, 4:43 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1769

Jedi2016 said: View Post
    You people are assuming that Ridley Scott is too stupid to read
    Well, for a man who got lost on his own studio tour, than I would say.....YES! Ridley Scott can't read.

20. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Aug 5, 2012, 4:49 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1770

nickytea said: View Post
    I don't think you're taking into consideration how difficult it is for writers to work with Ridley Scott. He can be an unrelenting *******. When, as a writer working with him, you are a secondary contributor and any idea he takes to is given precedent ... you'd get kinda frustrated, despite the "honor" of working with him.
    Well, one can always say it was a bad writer assigned to an unrelenting ********. At least if there was a good writer, we would have seen evidence of a good story in Prometheus.
    Aug 5, 2012, 8:49 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1771

When folks finally get to read Jon Spaiht's original draft, they'll finally get to see how much of a straight up Alien prequel this was originally supposed to be - and how much of that DNA made it into Lindelof's rewrite.
    From
    Southern California
    Aug 6, 2012, 3:05 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1772

Jeyl said: View Post
    Well, one can always say it was a bad writer assigned to an unrelenting ********. At least if there was a good writer, we would have seen evidence of a good story in Prometheus.
    I think it tells a tremendous story.
    Sorry it doesn't work for you.
    Aug 7, 2012, 8:12 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1773

While I don't agree with this, some of you may want to give it a read:

Why ‘Prometheus’ gets it all wrong, and why it matters
  24. Jeyl is offline Jeyl
    Aug 7, 2012, 10:09 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1774

At the end of the day, Prometheus would have been much better off by not being about our beginnings. They should have looked at the cave drawings, saw that the cluster of stars did indeed have a planet that looked habitable, and go from there. No "it's what I choose to believe" lines, no tired old "They'll make me immortal!" subplot, and no random gratuitous zombies.

I'm sure that many think Shaw is a strong character by choosing to stick with her beliefs, but all I see is a writer attempting to make a character look strong with no real justification or even purpose. It's like someone who thinks that having guns is wrong, but later uses guns to kill dozens of people. At the end of the movie, our hero proclaims that guns are still wrong like he never wavered from that belief. That's not a character strength, that's a cheat. You can't just throw stuff that conflicts with what our protagonist believes in, and not have it go anywhere. In fact, this character is so poorly written, the conflict was there from the beginning and it wasn't even treated as a conflict!

Shaw's Beliefs:
    - Is so religious that she wears a cross.
    - Believes beyond a doubt that we were created by Engineers from space.

And yet I still get replies like this.

nickytea said: View Post
    I think it tells a tremendous story.
    Sorry it doesn't work for you.
    I don't believe in pain- OW!!!! That hurt! Geez. Anyways, I don't believe in pain. Look! I'm hungry. Listen! It's cold. I have a map, but I don't use it even when I'm lost. Dead harmless creatures scare me, but hissing snake like creatures with teeth are just adorable.
    Last edited by Jeyl; Aug 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
    Aug 7, 2012, 11:29 PM - Re: Prometheus (Post-release) #1775

I quit reading after paragraph 3. He gets his first "wrong" premise wrong himself by ignoring what is right there on screen in the first few minutes of the film. Another example of someone who did not like the film trying to invent reasons why it is wrong, to convince others not to like it.

The Engineers were not shown "dropped their DNA in the oceans of earth long ago and so created humans". The single Engineer drank the black crap, which ripped his DNA apart into its component pieces, building a new DNA strand. The pieces of the DNA strand are actually shown being covered and mutated by the black stuff, for those who were looking closely, just before montaging into the first cells dividing. The film makers are implying the black goo is the tool used to create the building blocks of life, using the material from existing life. Since that is an overriding theme about the black goo, right to the end of the film, one would have to intentionally ignore it to fit his premise.