Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Apr 13, 2013, 3:30 PM - WIP: Iron Variant Cosplay (super pic heavy) Sintra #1

First off, hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum, after a while of lurking and building on my own, I figured I have enough done on this cosplay to show. I'll be getting pictures up of my completed cosplays in the showcase section soon.

Anyway, for this cosplay, I'm doing my on variation on Iron Man armor, which is based heavily on the Mark VIII armor (the second armor seen in the avengers), but also incorporates two motorized shoulder mounter machine gun turrets instead of back flaps. I'm also thinking about doing gauntlet guns like on the War machine armor instead of the standard Iron man gauntlets. And it's going to be red and black with a lightly damaged look.

The build is going to be out of a hybrid of different materials, but mostly using Sintra, as I love the stuff, and am most comfortable using plastic as I have alot of experience with it, not specifically Sintra but plastic in general. I find I can make it look better then foam, and it's easier then paper and pepakura, and can be sanded down nicely to produce clean edges and a super smooth finish. But thats just my opinion, I've seen some really good looking foam suits as well, I just would rather work with plastic, as I want this suit to be really durable and last forever :P

Anyway, the only part I have to show currently is the helmet, which isn't finished yet, but it's most of the way. This thread was very helpful: http://www.therpf.com/f24/iron-man-h...17/index3.html
    My helmet isn't accurate to any of the real Iron Man helmets, as I lack the skill for a true replica helmet, so there are details missing like the brow above the eyes, and none of the curves are exactly correct or square, but thats ok with me, cause it's a variant cosplay and isn't supposed to look exactly like the real Iron man armors. As long as it looks good and smooth, I'm happy.

Anyway, here's some pics.

(Thats wonderflex sheeting, to fill in the gaps before pouring in 65D for internal reinforcement)

Then, I covered the whole thing in Milliput, sections by section, to help it really start to take shape.

After 35 and 60 grit sandings:

After 100, 150 and then 220 grit wet sanding:

It's not baby smooth, but its close.

I'm getting kind of sick of seeing every iron man helmet with a motorized face plate. It does look awesome, but EVERYONE that cosplays Iron man does one, and I want my cosplay to be different, so I'm opting instead for the removable style face plate like in the Mark II. Here's the initial cuts:

Then I laid down another layer of Sintra behind the cut out in the main helmet, and smoothed out the edges using some more milliput. This plate will be lined with a bit of metal sheeting, which will click the faceplate into place, as the faceplate will have magnets in the corresponding location. I haven't started any sanding on it yet, this is as far as I am right now, as I've only been working on it for 2 weeks and don't have enough of free time.

I also decided to make the eye slots bigger at this point, because this is something I plan on wearing all day at Cons, and vision is more important to me then super menacing looking eyes. I still think they look alright though.

I'll be updating this thread often, each time I get a significant amount of work done, ~once a week. My goal is to have the helmet fully finished by Iron Man 3, and the suit finished before Otakon. Let me know what you think so far, and if you have any tips they would be much appreciated, I've never done a full armor cosplay before
    Last edited by Armatus Cosplay; Apr 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM.
  2. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Apr 14, 2013, 1:03 PM - Re: WIP: Iron Variant Cosplay (super pic heavy) Sintra #2

Didn't realize the pics were so huge, sorry. Working on re-sizing.
  3. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    Apr 17, 2013, 6:56 PM - Re: WIP: Iron Variant Cosplay (super pic heavy) Sintra #3

Update:
    Finished the chin, and generally cleaned up the helmet. All of the seams where the faceplate meet the helmet have been filled in so there are no gaps between the two when the faceplate is installed. I did this by lubricating the edges of the helmet, then applying milliput to the face plate, and pressing it into the helmet.

I then sanded down the edges, so they lined up without overlap.

And then moved to the bottom of the mouth, to repeat the same process.

While that was drying, I finished the chin and carved in some details.

Lots of sanding later....

Threw some ears on.

Got in lots more Sintra a few days ago, going to be starting the chest soon

Again, sorry for the huge pics.
    From
    Ocala, Florida
    Apr 17, 2013, 10:18 PM - Re: WIP: Iron Variant Cosplay (super pic heavy) Sintra #4

very very interesting build, looking forward to updates
    From
    El Paso
    May 1, 2015, 8:33 PM - Re: WIP: Iron Variant Cosplay (super pic heavy) Sintra #5

What ever happened to this project. Was it ever finished?
    Last edited by Reznor9; May 1, 2015 at 9:26 PM.
  6. RPF Premium Member Armatus Cosplay's Avatar
    May 2, 2015, 12:28 AM - Re: WIP: Iron Variant Cosplay (super pic heavy) Sintra #6

Reznor9 said: View Post
    What ever happened to this project. Was it ever finished?
    Nope, got bored of it. The helmet was a little lumpy and too small, so rather then make another one I decided to start on my Farseer project instead.