Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Ape City
    Jan 26, 2010, 11:00 PM - Star Trek Romulan Commander #1

This is going to be my next project, which seems fairly easy. Has anybody made the outfit yet?

From
    Chicagoland
    Jan 28, 2010, 6:10 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #2

Very cool. I'd love to see this done.

Would you try to find a close match to the material, or have something printed?
    From
    Kent, UK
    Jan 28, 2010, 6:26 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #3

I've always liked the TOS Romulan uniforms, such a unique style in terms of material and colour use. Shame then went all grey for TNG.
    From
    Ape City
    Jan 28, 2010, 11:05 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #4

I think I'm going to silkscreen the fabric myself.
    From
    San Antonio, TX
    Jan 28, 2010, 11:09 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #5

I'm fairly sure you could find something very close and jut have it dyed to match. I'm not sure if it would be easier than silkscreening though.
    Good luck! It'll look relly great when it's done!
    From
    Los Angeles Mothership
    Jan 29, 2010, 12:13 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #6

You can find the black/gold ribbon fabric at ISW in Beverly Hills! It's the same exact fabric - you buy it in black and highlight it with gold paint like the originals.
    From
    Ape City
    Jan 29, 2010, 3:37 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #7

Kezler, I am not familiar with ISW in Beverly Hills. Is there a website? Also I thought the fabric was silver, not gold. The photo I posted looks like a weird magenta, but I re-watched the DVD and the red matches the red paint that you see on the Enterprise.
    From
    The Sunshine State
    Jan 29, 2010, 4:47 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #8

I always thought that the fabric was some weird crochet material, lol. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with this. It's a great costume . . . and VERY short! There is a scene (I think it's when she goes in to change into something more appropriate) that you can see the skirt does not cover her rear. Gene liked them short!
    From
    Indiana
    Jan 29, 2010, 8:11 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #9

Jessica said: View Post
    Kezler, I am not familiar with ISW in Beverly Hills. Is there a website? Also I thought the fabric was silver, not gold. The photo I posted looks like a weird magenta, but I re-watched the DVD and the red matches the red paint that you see on the Enterprise.

I "think" he's talking about "International Silks & Woolens"

http://www.internationalsilks.com/In...lens/Home.html

I know they supplied fabrics to the movies and TNG, so maybe they supplied some to TOS too?

Good Luck!

-Sarge
    From
    Ape City
    Jan 29, 2010, 9:46 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #10

feek61 said: View Post
    It's a great costume . . . and VERY short! There is a scene (I think it's when she goes in to change into something more appropriate) that you can see the skirt does not cover her rear. Gene liked them short!

I see...well, bring it on!!

From
    United States
    Jan 30, 2010, 1:31 AM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #11

Very daring indeed.

Here is the original sketch by William Ware Theiss.

It is a knitted design pattern, ISW did provide the original fabric, I do not know if it or a alternative is still available.

The following link shows what the fabric looks like, this item was Shatners imposter outfit so its not the color you want, but it does give you a very close look at the knit pattern.
    http://startrekpropauthority.blogspo...-shatners.html

A thread that might help some.
    http://startrekuniforms.yuku.com/topic/522

Good luck with your project!
    From
    Ape City
    Jan 30, 2010, 1:20 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #12

Wow that's just fabulous --the photos!! Very very helpful...Thank you. I'm going to look through my knitting books and see what I can come up with. I always thought it was a woven pattern, but you can pull the same look with knitting. If I get desperate and can't come up with a pattern then I'll just test a small patch with a bulky woven pattern and see how silkscreening looks on that.

I couldn't figure out the heart/dart shapes, but Kirk's outfit is the clearest I have seen.
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    Jan 31, 2010, 9:01 AM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #13

An acquaintance of mine did this costume for Dragon*Con a couple of years ago. I'll see if I can't find a pic this week.

I've seen a lot of similar fabrics at various shops, usually the places that have been around forever and still have stock leftover from their first year of business! Good luck in your hunt.

dani
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jan 31, 2010, 6:03 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #14

Oooh, I'm excited to see this one! The world needs more TOS Romulans. Good luck and can't wait to see the progress!
    From
    Ape City
    Feb 1, 2010, 2:27 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #15

This was the only yarn I had available at home, but I needed to get the pattern started so I went with it. The bottom portion was too big, so I made a smaller pattern. I am afraid to go smaller for the pattern, because it may end up looking like spots instead of triangles. It's really tough to knit with two colors since I am not really used to it, and the yarn kept tangling up on me. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough. I have a whole year to get this perfected so I'm not really worried. I took a photo of my hand for sizing purposes, and to make sure that the size of the triangles aren't overwhelming for me. If I get a thinner gauge yarn (I just measured the gauge, and it is DK weight based on this website: http://www.knittersreview.com/articl...e/050818_d.asp), the whole pattern will look smaller.

Here is a photograph of the pattern I drew up on a spreadsheet, so if anybody out there is interested in knitting their own, they can start.

Looking at the reference photos, I will go with red as the main color and do black triangles on there.
    Last edited by Jessica; Feb 1, 2010 at 5:17 PM.
    From
    Los Angeles Mothership
    Feb 2, 2010, 2:43 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #16

Sorry, yes, I meant International Silks and Woolens. GREAT store with stuff you won't see anywhere else, but VERY pricey too.

The "red" is not a true red...it is more of a magenta like you initially thought. But it reads red on film stock.

I saw Mark Lenard's (sp?) original Romulan Commander uniform at WorldCon back in 2006. NICE!
    Feb 2, 2010, 2:53 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #17

You know, that looks more to me like a triangle pattern with holes showing black fabric underneath. I don't know anything about crocheting to tell you what it's called, but my son had a blanket with that pattern. (my late grandmother made it or else I could have asked her. )

Something like this:

Looked like the center rows between these blocks:

From
    Ape City
    Feb 2, 2010, 4:46 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #18

Guri said: View Post
    You know, that looks more to me like a triangle pattern with holes showing black fabric underneath. I don't know anything about crocheting to tell you what it's called, but my son had a blanket with that pattern. (my late grandmother made it or else I could have asked her. )

Something like this:

Looked like the center rows between these blocks:

You know what? I think you are right! I went to the fabric store today and found black fabric with a triangle pattern. If I put red on it, it would kinda simulate the red portion of the suit. I'll post photos of it soon.
    From
    Ape City
    Feb 2, 2010, 5:30 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #19

Here is the fabric I found today. The fabric to the right feels like a sweater already. It's very loosely woven and I will need to sew a lining under there.

I think the triangles are too small, but there is an evident pattern so I can easily snip out larger triangles. This is as close to the Romulan fabric as I can get.
    From
    Denver, CO
    Feb 2, 2010, 6:03 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #20

Hmmm... this really shows this to be one piece to me

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XNPD380IpB...5_innerleg.jpg

Have you looked at the season 3 Blueray? I'm sure HD would provide much better pictures.
    Feb 2, 2010, 7:03 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #21

Darthgordan, yeah, the darker fabric looks like one piece, but the magenta looks to have holes. Even if it doesn't, it is one way to get the texture if you can't find the pattern.

Jessica, That is really close! Are you going to try to color it, or use the red as the contrast under it?
    From
    Ape City
    Feb 2, 2010, 7:42 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #22

I bought a $4 red sweater from a thrift shop today. Thinking also of sewing in the triangles with a blunt needle and black yarn so it's one piece of fabric...but for the life of me can't remember what this technique is called!

Guri, I can't color the fabric because it's a polyester blend that won't take in dyes well. I guess I could always spray it with fabric paint though!! Hmm...that's a thought.

I'll see and do a test swatch and see which one looks closest to the Romulan fabric. This is so fun!!
    From
    Los Angeles Mothership
    Feb 3, 2010, 2:35 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #23

I have a fabric swatch card of this fabric. The black backing is a mesh netting fabric and the "red" or "blue" is knitted onto the black.
    The fabric is then backed or lined with a black fabric. Otherwise the black netting would show everything! LOL
    From
    Ape City
    Feb 3, 2010, 2:45 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #24

Kezler said: View Post
    I have a fabric swatch card of this fabric. The black backing is a mesh netting fabric and the "red" or "blue" is knitted onto the black.
    The fabric is then backed or lined with a black fabric. Otherwise the black netting would show everything! LOL
    Kezzler, can you please post a photo of this swatch? I would love to see it up close...the front and the back.
    From
    Los Angeles Mothership
    Feb 4, 2010, 12:17 PM - Re: Star Trek Romulan Commander #25

I can take a pic of the card, but the swatch is embedded so I can't take a pic of the back of the fabric.

Jessica said: View Post
    Kezzler, can you please post a photo of this swatch? I would love to see it up close...the front and the back.