Subscribe
  1. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Nov 6, 2012, 1:31 PM - Re: Neckties! #526

Yes, most of the ties being made now should be ready to ship before the end of this month.
    From
    Maryland
    Nov 6, 2012, 1:47 PM - Re: Neckties! #527

Indy Magnoli said: View Post
    Yes, most of the ties being made now should be ready to ship before the end of this month.
    Ooh - does that include the Ricci tie?
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Nov 6, 2012, 2:30 PM - Re: Neckties! #528

That is excellent news. Quick question on the Smith bow tie will it be pre-tied or self-tied with a clasp like the screen used ones?
  4. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Nov 6, 2012, 2:42 PM - Re: Neckties! #529

The Smith Tie will be a self-tie... so if you don't know how to do it, practice on your shoe laces (it's the same method!) and you'll do fine.

Yes... the Ricci Tie too (hopefully!).
    From
    Maryland
    Nov 6, 2012, 3:20 PM - Re: Neckties! #530

The Smith Tie will be a self-tie... so if you don't know how to do it, practice on your shoe laces (it's the same method!) and you'll do fine.

Yes... the Ricci Tie too (hopefully!).
    Excellent news on the Ricci tie! That's a beautiful design.

Bow ties - I have a season 5 looky-like that I got in a pre-tied, can't stand having it in the house! I'm kidding, but they are a bit lame, a bit like a clip-on tie. There are enough youtube videos to practice by these days, I would say it takes maybe half an hour of work to get good at it.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Nov 6, 2012, 3:34 PM - Re: Neckties! #531

Indy, you are a prince among men. Can't wait for this to hit my mailbox.

Dave Ward said: View Post
    Bow ties - I have a season 5 looky-like that I got in a pre-tied, can't stand having it in the house! I'm kidding, but they are a bit lame, a bit like a clip-on tie. There are enough youtube videos to practice by these days, I would say it takes maybe half an hour of work to get good at it.
    The S5s were all pre-tied, so it's more accurate!
    From
    Durham, NC, USA
    Nov 6, 2012, 3:41 PM - Re: Neckties! #532

Wait, does that mean that the new ties are ready to be ordered?
    From
    Maryland
    Nov 6, 2012, 3:47 PM - Re: Neckties! #533

E-Wan said: View Post
    Indy, you are a prince among men. Can't wait for this to hit my mailbox.

The S5s were all pre-tied, so it's more accurate!
    Exactly - that's why I got it in the first place. Tying a bow tie is incredibly satisfying once you get used to it, hard to go back! I'm not a snob with this stuff (I hope!) but as it's supposed to be somewhat fancy attire, having a pre-tied seems somehow self-defeating.
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Nov 7, 2012, 9:22 AM - Re: Neckties! #534

Awesome news. Can't wait to get a Ricci tie, might have to pick up a Swirly and Giorgio aswell when they're out. I got a Kenzo tie off ebay not sure if its the one The Doctor wore but its red and navy / purple and it looks great with my blue suit. I'll up load some picks for you to have a look at.
    http://oi48.tinypic.com/qqe8ur.jpg
    http://oi49.tinypic.com/v7b9eb.jpg
    http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zbbc79.jpg
    Sorry the pics aren't very good.
    From
    Maryland
    Nov 7, 2012, 10:09 AM - Re: Neckties! #535

Very nice tie - bet it does look great with the suit. That's not the one Tennant wore - his had a smaller, more delicate pattern with leaf-type shapes.

Indy, any images of the Ricci tie that you could share?
  11. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Nov 7, 2012, 1:44 PM - Re: Neckties! #536

Here is a teaser of the Ricci Tie:

From
    Maryland
    Nov 7, 2012, 2:17 PM - Re: Neckties! #537

First reactions - great colour! That looks good. Also love the weave/texture. Don't know the floral pattern so well so I can't comment on that, but I am definitely looking forward to this one!
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Nov 7, 2012, 5:47 PM - Re: Neckties! #538

Dave Ward said: View Post
    Very nice tie - bet it does look great with the suit. That's not the one Tennant wore - his had a smaller, more delicate pattern with leaf-type shapes.

Indy, any images of the Ricci tie that you could share?
    Aye I got two kenzo ties, that one and a purple and navy one that looks great with the blue suit and a navy shirt. They're not ones worn by the doctor but the look like the type he'd wear so I'm happy Though I'd love for Indy to be able to do a replica of the Kenzo worn by Tennant if he can find more reference.
    The Ricci looks amazing btw can't wait.
    Nov 7, 2012, 9:58 PM - Re: Neckties! #539

Wow, looking at that picture I think I might have been worth the years of hell getting it right!
    From
    Orange, CA
    Nov 7, 2012, 10:01 PM - Re: Neckties! #540

Well Dave, I do know the pattern and I can vouch for it. Aces, Indy. Can't wait.
    Nov 8, 2012, 7:43 AM - Re: Neckties! #541

Fantastic to see everything Who/Magnoli starting to click into place, and even better to see just how well they're all turning out, absolutely top-notch work Indy!
    From
    Maryland
    Nov 8, 2012, 8:33 AM - Re: Neckties! #542

I'm trying not to set that teaser as my desktop wallpaper
    From
    Prince George, VA
    Nov 8, 2012, 12:58 PM - Re: Neckties! #543

Oh, that Ricci tie looks NICE. Really looking forward to that one too. I'm not a bow-tie kind of guy, but these Tennant ties are all going to be must-haves.
  19. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Nov 8, 2012, 6:48 PM - Re: Neckties! #544

Well, the DW curse continues! I just received about 400 ties from the factory... most of them are not quite right! The new Swirly Ties came out darker than planned and look almost black in some lighting:

The new Giorgio Ties have that really cool two-tone blue/brown effect, but the blue seems much stronger than the brown, giving the overall look of the tie more of a blue/grey look than brown:

The grey Giorgio is a really great looking tie, just not brown enough to be a proper DW replica. I'll be offering both of the above through my site at a discounted price. Meanwhile, we'll be doing more runs of (hopefully) more brown versions of the above.

The Hechter Ties are back in stock and ready for shipping...

Kind regards,
    Magnoli
    Nov 9, 2012, 12:46 AM - Re: Neckties! #545

Ah, disappointing news. But good for me! I quite like the look of that grey-ish Giorgio tie too, so I may be getting one.
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    Nov 9, 2012, 4:41 AM - Re: Neckties! #546

Sorry bout the ties not turning out, although I quite like the look of the darker Swirly Tie..... and at a discounted price you say ?
    Nov 9, 2012, 6:38 AM - Re: Neckties! #547

I must admit, that for personal (non-cosplay) use. I actually prefer those ties, brown ties are often quite hard to incorporate into my wardrobe without it look overtly 70's.

I might just have to pick those ties up...

Also, just for fun, i decided to conduct a small coloyr-changing experiment.

I actually kinda like it, it could be good for a lining in a jacket.
    Last edited by HaroldVonBraun; Nov 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM.
  23. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    From
    Canada
    Nov 9, 2012, 9:50 AM - Re: Neckties! #548

Indy! The Ricci tie looks divine! You've done an outstanding job catering to the DW fans. Many thanks and looking forwards to seeing their release.

Here is a teaser of the Ricci Tie:

24. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Nov 9, 2012, 11:46 AM - Re: Neckties! #549

Wow! Can not wait for both finished versions of the brown ties to come out, especially the Lacroix. And this isn't a moan from me but i thought that one of the common complaints was that the burgundy sections were too vibrant? It doesn't bother me but from what i can see they are more vibrant if anything. Or is this just because they are from the dodgy batch of ties?

Also, is the colour gradient in the swirls as noticeable in person? I couldn't remember the original myself so i looked back at Steve Ricks blog and you've nailed the look, but can't help but think that the gradient isn't graduated enough? Again, this really isn't a complaint 'cos i love the ties that much anyway, it's just more of a curiosity really.
  25. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Nov 9, 2012, 2:27 PM - Re: Neckties! #550

There may be one final tweak for the corrected Swirly Tie (again) but for the most part, the general look is what you can expect.