Subscribe
  1. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 22, 2012, 8:53 PM - Re: Neckties! #276

Indy Magnoli said: View Post
    I'm going to check with our fabric supplier as I've only got a sample of the black in this exact fabric on hand, though I do have other denims with the right color. Once I get confirmation I'll let you know which would work best.

Just found this photo which shows the tie being a bit more blue... though it is dark and very dull.

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...-1920-1080.jpg
    Yes, that's right on the money! If you're confident you can get me that bowtie - officially put me down for that one (let's call it the "Denim" tie) and also for the "Aztec" tie.
  2. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Feb 22, 2012, 9:15 PM - Re: Neckties! #277

I think the dark blue 8oz denim will do the trick. The only problem is that the original tie looks like it might have a slight sheen to it, but denim, as you would expect, is matte.
  3. Member Since
    Oct 2010
    Feb 23, 2012, 12:16 PM - Re: Neckties! #278

It is frustrating how the blue ties look so different in different lights, but it is definitely a blue black (with a little purple hue to it).

Indy, I'd be down for one of these ties as well, but not pre-tied. I don't think there is anyway to get that tie to look like it does on the show by making it pre-tied. Also it gets untied in the Wedding of River Song so there is at least one version of it that is self tie.

Frosty, tying a bow tie just takes practice but once you get it down it is actually quite easy. I can do it without looking at this point.
  4. Member Since
    May 2010
    From
    UK
    Feb 23, 2012, 12:25 PM - Re: Neckties! #279

Put me down for a non pre tied version of this as well.
  5. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Feb 23, 2012, 1:45 PM - Re: Neckties! #280

Here are scans of the indigo and navy:

Both are very rich colors, so they will not be mistaken for black. So, if you want a blue version, I would recommend the Navy, if you want something darker/duller go with the Black. These will all be custom jobs, so there are no runs, and they can be made self-tie or pre-tied. E-mail me for more info.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli
  6. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 23, 2012, 4:53 PM - Re: Neckties! #281

Do you have any pics of what your pre-tied bowties look like?
    And do we agree that the Navy is the screen-accurate look?
  7. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Feb 23, 2012, 5:48 PM - Re: Neckties! #282

I've finally gotten around to adding a custom bowtie page to my site:

Custom Bowtie by Magnoli Clothiers

The sample image is a custom pre-tied Quantum of Solace style bowtie.

Kind regards,
    Magnoli
  8. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 23, 2012, 5:58 PM - Re: Neckties! #283

Glad you have that up now!
    I'm also looking at what the Series 6 burgundy bowtie could be made from - anyone have any high-res screen caps?
    From
    Maryland
    Feb 23, 2012, 8:41 PM - Re: Neckties! #284

modernboy said: View Post

Frosty, tying a bow tie just takes practice but once you get it down it is actually quite easy. I can do it without looking at this point.
    If you're in town I'll show you how to tie one myself. It's a pretty cool skill when you've got it down.
  10. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 23, 2012, 9:08 PM - Re: Neckties! #285

I had to learn to do it for a show I was in, and it was a real pain! I could rarely get it perfect - and I just like the ease of a pre-tied. It always looks perfect.
    From
    Maryland
    Feb 23, 2012, 9:14 PM - Re: Neckties! #286

GeneralFROSTY said: View Post
    I had to learn to do it for a show I was in, and it was a real pain! I could rarely get it perfect - and I just like the ease of a pre-tied. It always looks perfect.
    Ah, but that can be a good thing. A perfect bow tie is normally a pre-tie. A bit of asymtery can show a touch of class.
    From
    Orange, CA
    Feb 23, 2012, 9:23 PM - Re: Neckties! #287

It's really not that hard after a while. Just find a good video tutorial and practice a few times. If you fiddle with it for a little while, it's not even that hard to make it look perfect.
  13. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 24, 2012, 8:26 AM - Re: Neckties! #288

You guys should be car salesmen because you are getting close to selling me on self-tie...
  14. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Feb 24, 2012, 3:27 PM - Re: Neckties! #289

The key to tying a bowtie is this: it's the same as tying your shoe! Most people forget this and make it a lot more complicated than it is. If you keep in mind your shoelaces while doing it, it's a cinch!
  15. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 24, 2012, 10:45 PM - Re: Neckties! #290

Indy, any chance you can try and find the right material for the Series 6 burgundy bowtie?
    I was watching my Blu Rays today and saw in some tight shots that it looks to be a basket-weave silk, but it has a subtle purple hue in the fibers, I can't really explain it youd have to see it.
    I figure while you're at it with the blue ties, you could also offer the burgundy one since there has yet to be anyone to offer an accurate option for this. He seems to wear the burgundy tie the most.
  16. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    From
    The World
    Feb 25, 2012, 12:30 PM - Re: Neckties! #291

He wears the burgundy tie the most, personally I think he looks best in blue.
  17. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 26, 2012, 1:01 PM - Re: Neckties! #292

Indy,
    In addition to ordering the "Aztec" and "Denim" ties when those are sorted out - I'd reall like for you to look into the s6 burgundy tie AND the check shirt - thorneyboy posted an image last page on my costume thread that shows the pattern and texture of the shirt perfectly - also shows the texture of the bowtie really well:
    http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-elevent...ml#post2151123
  18. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Feb 26, 2012, 1:53 PM - Re: Neckties! #293

To replicate the pattern accurately, we'd have to do a custom fabric. It might be worth doing for this particular tie since it's a standard. Could you e-mail me some more images of this tie? The one in that thread would be good for the actual fabric pattern, but I'd like to see more of the tie itself. Any photos of the tie untied would be great!

Kind regards,
    Magnoli
  19. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 26, 2012, 2:36 PM - Re: Neckties! #294

Indy Magnoli said: View Post
    To replicate the pattern accurately, we'd have to do a custom fabric. It might be worth doing for this particular tie since it's a standard. Could you e-mail me some more images of this tie? The one in that thread would be good for the actual fabric pattern, but I'd like to see more of the tie itself. Any photos of the tie untied would be great!

Kind regards,
    Magnoli
    Yes, the burgundy tie is worn the most, and he seems to have worn the check shirt the most through series 6 as well, including the Christmas Carol special.
    If you feel you can replicate the fabric for the shirt I'd like to put my money in the pot for one.
    As for the bowtie, I will have to ask anyone who can capture images from Blu ray or may have promotional images that show it off.
    Watching my blu ray, I can see in some shots it almost has a purple hue in the fibers.
  20. RPF Premium Member benhs1898's Avatar
    From
    Richmond, Virginia, United States
    Feb 26, 2012, 2:54 PM - Re: Neckties! #295

Indy, this may be a cool tie to replicate.

Jim Moriarty's tie from Episode three of BBC's Sherlock.

Jim Moriarty's Tie | BBC Sherlock | Sherlockology
  21. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    From
    The World
    Feb 26, 2012, 3:34 PM - Re: Neckties! #296

benhs1898 said: View Post
    Indy, this may be a cool tie to replicate.

Jim Moriarty's tie from Episode three of BBC's Sherlock.

Jim Moriarty's Tie | BBC Sherlock | Sherlockology
    I agree, this would be an excellent tie to see.
  22. ArtisanFX RPF Premium Member GeneralFROSTY's Avatar
    Feb 26, 2012, 5:05 PM - Re: Neckties! #297

Indy,
    Email sent.
    Here are botie reference images - I sent a few of these to you via email. Thanks to Terrasolo for getting some of these for me...
    Right now, Id like to order both S6 Blue ties and the burgundy if we can nail that one...

From
    Maryland
    Feb 27, 2012, 7:12 PM - Re: Neckties! #298

I probably say this every couple of pages, but especially looking at Steve Rick's blog today, I'd love to see the Thomas Nash Tennant tie.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Feb 29, 2012, 11:00 PM - Re: Neckties! #299

Indy, did you find a good fabric for the S6 burgundy bow tie?

GeneralFROSTY said: View Post
  25. RPFing since 2002 RPF Premium Member Indy Magnoli's Avatar
    From
    Middle Earth, NZ
    Feb 29, 2012, 11:30 PM - Re: Neckties! #300

The only way to do this tie is going to be doing a custom fabric and a large run. I'm looking into this, but I've got a bunch of tie projects going on all at once (and a few thousand dollars tied up in these ties) so I may have to put this one of a little. But it's officially on my "to do" list.