Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jul 5, 2006, 1:37 PM - #1

I can add photos if anyone would like to see more....
    I made this costume for Halloween about 10 years ago (when I was in better shape.)
    About 2 months ago my brother volunteered me to make an apperance as Superman at an event he was involved with. I had very little time to dust it off, sculpt a more current "S" sheild for it, and make a muscle shirt to enhance my not-quite-superman frame. But here are the basic photos of what I did....
    This is an old photo.. so this is the before version.

This is the individual muscle sculptures. I was happy with everything but the chest. (It just shows I need to study anatomy a bit more, but in the end it was fine.)

This is the symbol sculpt... It was early enough that I ws using the poster art for reference rather than a photo of the costume. (At the time I had no idea there was little s's all over it, but I barely had the time anyway)

This is the muscle shirt. The muscles were molded and run in foam latex and then glued to a spandex shirt with rubber cement. The rubber cement was great because the bond was good and it stays flexible after it dries. (In the photo you can see that my body is wrapped in plastic wrap to protect my skin from the rubber cement.)

This is the body suit. (On my brother) I airbrushed it quite a bit so that even where I was not glueing muscles in, there would be some kind of definition. I liked this alot for the abs. My stomache isn't exactly flat and I didnt want to add bulge by adding fake muscles on top, so the airbrushing gave definition without the extra padding.

The final suit... Besides the rubber muscles, I had to wear Blue lenses and we also layed rows of hair into my own hair because mine was too short to make the little curl in the front.

It was good enough for the event, but I don't think I'll be wearing again anytime soon. But if anyone wants to see other angles or close-ups of anything let me know.
  2. Official Licensee RPF Premium Member Got Maul's Avatar
    Jul 5, 2006, 2:38 PM - #2

those muscle pieces are awesome . are those straight latex pieces just glued onto a tight fitting shirt ?

Also, did you sculpt it on a body form of yourself ?
  3. TimDrakeRobin is offline TimDrakeRobin
    Jul 5, 2006, 4:25 PM - #3

very nice. More pics wouls be appreciated.
    From
    behind you, Ray!
    Jul 5, 2006, 4:40 PM - #4

Not bad. Very insightfull.
  5. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    From
    Kamino
    Jul 5, 2006, 4:52 PM - #5

Im not a big superman fan but it definately looks awesome good job..
  6. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jul 5, 2006, 7:15 PM - #6

The Muscles are foam latex, and yes just glued right to a form fitting shirt from Wal-mart I think. I did have to cut out the neck line so that it wouldn't be seen under the Superman suit.
    I did have a couple of problems with the shirt..
    1) The thin edges of the foam latex started to curl once the rubber cement was applied. So the next time I will need to apply glue to the thicker center of the muscle and place it on the shirt and then lift the edges slowly and paint the glue under before sticking them down. I also brushed a layer of glue over the edges of each muscle to help hold it down.
    2)I had to wait for each muscle to dry entirely before I was able to move on to the next one. I really need to get a body form of myself to do work like that on. But it did make the process take MUCH longer than it really needed to be.
    3) At the time that I made it, I wasn't even sure that my body suit would stretch over the top of the muscle shirt and myself... so be sure to allow that kind of space if you look into a muscle shirt.

The muscles were also sculpted on a casting of my own body, but it could have been done on a generic cast just as easily. Where I was applying individual muscles, exact fit wouldnt matter, only basic size and the correct placement on the shirt so that they would pull off the illusion. (I only had a couple of people ask me if I had "stuffed".. but I wasn't so sure they were talking about the muscles. hehe) But to "hide" the detail that does show through the cod area, there was a form fitting piece of foam there as well....LOL
    From
    USofA
    Jul 5, 2006, 8:51 PM - #7

Nice job

More pics?
    From
    Burnie, Tasmania, Australia
    Jul 5, 2006, 9:07 PM - #8

Great job. Got some good airbrush techniques going there man

Regards
    TAZ
    From
    Bristol, UK
    Jul 6, 2006, 2:33 PM - #9

I agree, the airbrushing really helps to pull it togther, and the muscle padding is quite subtle. Nice work
    Jul 6, 2006, 3:42 PM - #10

WOW. that looks great...I was to B) ying with doing that very same thing with my basuit
  11. Member Since
    Dec 2005
    Jul 10, 2006, 1:35 AM - #11

Nice job -- I'm glad you put the yellow shield on the cape, even if the movie doesn't have it.

Looks better that way.
  12. Member Since
    Jul 2006
    Jul 10, 2006, 7:42 PM - #12

Here are a few more shots... You'll have to forgive the goofyness, but it was fun.

And a little beginner fun with photoshop.

13. Not a finga!!! RPF Premium Member Romans Empire's Avatar
    From
    TEXAS
    Jul 10, 2006, 7:52 PM - #13

Great job. I like the improvements...
    From
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Jul 10, 2006, 8:38 PM - #14

Very sweet. Superman is one of my favorite comic book heroes and I just love to see all costumes, props, comics, movies, and all other stuff related to him.

And YES, please send as many pics as you can.
  15. Member Since
    Feb 2000
    From
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Jul 10, 2006, 10:06 PM - #15

The contrast is so high on my LCD that I can see the little circles a the tips of your fingers. I thought they were Mickey Mouse ears. Good costume though. You've done a fine job and you look well in the part and suit.

I've seen way way worse.

16. RPF Premium Member theyrenotdolls's Avatar
    From
    New Orleans, LA
    Jul 11, 2006, 9:34 AM - #16

alpine,
    nice job. It makes it look fairly simple to do...i'm not sure how much trouble it was for you to sculpt. A good solution that thin folks can use to beef up their costume look. Now if i can just find an opposite solution for myself...something to hide a few extra rolls. lol
    From
    Annapolis, MD
    Jul 11, 2006, 7:13 PM - #17

Cool, way better than that blowup job they sell for the kids.
    Jul 12, 2006, 3:20 PM - #18

Very nicely done. Looks like it must have been loads of fun.
  19. Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Jul 12, 2006, 4:50 PM - #19

looks nice great job..
    Jul 21, 2006, 5:48 PM - #20

Looks really cool. Your idea works really well and very clever.
    Nov 2, 2013, 4:35 AM - Re: My Superman suit and Muscle shirt #21

Hey! THIS is the most natural-looking muscle-suit I ever saw! And it looks pretty simple, too!
    Very nice work!
    I'm currently making a Muscle-Suit for my Spiderman-Costume. Maybe you can give me some advice.

Best wishes to you!
  22. CSM-117 RPF Premium Member The Terminator's Avatar
    From
    Sweden
    Nov 5, 2013, 3:24 PM - Re: My Superman suit and Muscle shirt #22

Talk about necro bumping... didn't you see the date? This thread is 7 and a half years old(!!!!)
    From
    Midland, Texas
    Dec 11, 2013, 12:25 AM - Re: My Superman suit and Muscle shirt #23

I thoroughly enjoy this thread, I'm trying to convince my friend to look at this as he thinks he's superman. Thank you for these awesome pictures and the incredible muscle suit idea!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dec 12, 2013, 3:23 PM - Re: My Superman suit and Muscle shirt #24

Interesting idea and very nice Superman suit! I ended up going the old fashion route of working out because I can't cast anything. I workout six days a week and used the Body Beast program for two rounds of a total of 180 days leading up to Halloween. It really gave great results, and the airbrushing on my suit is custom painted to my build. It also was the first time my family and I went in costume for a convention. The photos of our suits are in my album under Family Of Steel and thread of the same name. You could also check out Revolution Z's latest thread as he is building a muscle layer for a suit under the costume regardless of workout goals similar to this thread. Hope this gives everyone ideas and is helpful info for everyone.