Subscribe
    Aug 3, 2013, 4:12 PM - [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #1

Hello, RPF members! This year I decided to do my first ever cosplay and chose Wreck-It Ralph. Quite the intimidating choice and intimidated I was! I've never done anything like this before! But through extensive lurking through this forum and arming myself with knowledge, and making an assload of mistakes, I felt more and more secure as I progressed. =D I actually documented the process in my public Facebook album! https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=55d7ce4409

Finally Anime Expo came and I debuted my costume. I was a tad afraid- how would people react to it? I got some opposition from a racial standpoint before so I was a little apprehensive. I wore it out and received nothing but positive compliments and getting pictures taken of me everywhere. It was both flattering and overwhelming, especially when I'd suddenly get a lot of people.

My good friend volunteered to be my Fix-It Felix and oh my god, was he PERFECT!

The other Calhouns were so cool!

This here, is undoubtedly my favorite photo. <3

I had so much fun at AX and I'm really proud of my costume.
    The costume is made from EVA foam, coated with a pva solution and plastidipped, then painted with metallic acrylic paints. I got the catsuit made at Zentai Zone, the wig from cyperous, the gun is actually a nerf longshot CS-6 that I painted, and the shoes are Demonia stomps and since Calhoun is 7ft. tall, I wanted to be taller. I was 6'2-6'3 in those babies.

I'm not completely done on it however, since there are parts to improve- like the shoulders, UGH. What a rush job. I had so much trouble getting the foam to come out right, I ended up doing a lazy rush job and made them round instead of accurate. I think I'll just get some Worbla and call it a day. And I'd like to find a better method to adhere the foam to the catsuit since hot glue doesn't do so well with foam to fabric paired with movement. I also want the chest armor to look less bulky and more form fitting.

But yeah, I really did have a wonderful time planning and making this. My wallet may have cried, but my heart fluttered increasingly as I progressed. I really could not have made this costume without this forum. I may not be an active poster, but this community truly is invaluable to me. <3 Thank you all.

I'm now addicted to cosplay and I'm already looking to begin my second cosplay! I've also began a fanpage on Facebook for my cosplay endeavors.

Even more awesome, I got fanart! Well sort of, it is a gift, but a friend got it commissioned from an artist to celebrate my costume as a surprise!

2. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Aug 3, 2013, 7:00 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #2

Love it, you look fantastic.
  3. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    From
    Witness Protection
    Aug 3, 2013, 11:11 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #3

Agreed! Awesome costume!!
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Aug 3, 2013, 11:25 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #4

You did a wonderful job!
    From
    Dubai
    Aug 6, 2013, 9:03 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #5

Awesome costume!!!

Awesome Hair!!!
    From
    Atrocious Nation
    Aug 6, 2013, 11:18 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #6

Yeah this costume looks amazing. Great first make!
    From
    Montreal, Quebec
    Aug 6, 2013, 11:51 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #7

You really got it perfectly!!! So well done, you look so awesome and so does Fit it Felix! What an amazing idea for a cosplay!
  8. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Aug 6, 2013, 9:59 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #8

This is one of those costumes that is "sexy". NOT because you show cleavage or butt crack BUT because the character was a bad ass chick! Well done!
    From
    Arizona, USA
    Aug 8, 2013, 12:20 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #9

Looks amazing! I think you did a great job with your painting, the gun looks perfect, can't even tell its a Nerf any more.
    From
    West Europe
    Aug 8, 2013, 4:01 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #10

Very cool costume. You look great !
    From
    Vancouver
    Aug 9, 2013, 9:20 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #11

Looks awesome! Great work!
    Aug 11, 2013, 9:26 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #12

I love it!
    From
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Aug 12, 2013, 6:17 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #13

Haha this is fantastic, loved how it came out! And your friend who played Fix-it-Felix was perfect!
    From
    West of D.C.
    Aug 16, 2013, 9:14 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #14

Very fine job. Love the weathering. You definitely have the Sgt's cocky grin down.
  15. Member Since
    Mar 2013
    From
    Sussex, UK.
    Aug 16, 2013, 7:43 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #15

Love it and what's more you can tell you're enjoying it which is great. Well done, my dotty loves that movie.
    From
    Hill Valley
    Aug 22, 2013, 12:35 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #16

You look FANTASTIC! Your armor looks incredible, and you fit the character so well! <3
  17. Member Since
    Feb 2011
    Aug 22, 2013, 3:56 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #17

Your armour looks incredible! I especially like the pieces on your thighs and the chestplate
    From
    virgina
    Aug 24, 2013, 1:43 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #18

That f'n great I love the look you look great
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2013
    Aug 25, 2013, 12:04 AM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #19

Amazing job
    From
    Miamisburg, OH (near Dayton)
    Aug 25, 2013, 8:40 PM - Re: [My First Cosplay] Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck-It Ralph! #20

Very cool!