Page 1 of 40 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Aug 11, 2009, 1:43 PM - Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done) #1

Hey guys,

Here we go !

I start a new thread because the other one is for research only !

So here where I am (I dont have glue all the parts because Im needing some other parts to get a good placement) :

Last edited by MonsieurTox; Jun 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Aug 11, 2009, 2:56 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Bridge and Neck #2

Hey Jay you need a shave!!!!

Please tell me where you are going to put this one!!!!!!

Regards,
    Michael
  3. Guy Cowen is offline Guy Cowen
    Aug 11, 2009, 3:55 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Bridge and Neck #3

In Manchester UK with a bit of luck, Julien, how many hour's are in one day in France? I'm used to 24 but you must get at least 30???? I love watching your builds mate
    Last edited by Guy Cowen; Aug 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM.
    From
    Portland, Maine
    Aug 11, 2009, 4:03 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Bridge and Neck #4

Beautiful stuff Julien, love all of those undercuts.. adds a ton of mystery, can't get that with castings.
  5. Universal Greeblie RPF Premium Member Jedifyfe's Avatar
    From
    Los Angeles
    Aug 11, 2009, 4:30 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Bridge and Neck #5

OOoooh, can't wait. You are off to a great start.

Brad
    From
    Florida
    Aug 11, 2009, 4:36 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #6

I'm sure this will be phenominal like all of your work!
    From
    Northern California
    Aug 11, 2009, 8:59 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #7

Right- a quick proposal:

Any further endeavors along the studio scale front must require a studio scale uniform, qualities of the uniform to be appropriate to the time period which you are representing in your work. For instance, given the time period of the construction of the model mentioned in this thread, a late '70s button down short sleeve (er, polo) shirt, is required.

For ANH and slightly thereafter era works, all men shall have beards, and at least one day per week shall wear cut-off jeans and basic t-shirts. At various points you are allowed long sleeve button down shirts and crew t-shirts. You can not stop at a moustache and a special no-no is a moustache and polo shirt combination (this was Paul Huston's thing... and he still does it)

Hair should always be appropriately styled, but remember that if you are going from a RotJ model to ANH, you have to allow for hair and beard length adjustments, so schedule appropriately.

Great project; I'm am, as others, certain that your final results will be solid indeed.
  8. RPF Premium Member Shadowknight's Avatar
    From
    San Diego, CA
    Aug 11, 2009, 10:00 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #8

Sweet. I'll be watching this thread.
  9. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Phoenix, Az.
    Aug 11, 2009, 10:12 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #9

Julian, are you going to go the whole 8 feet?
    From
    New Zealand
    Aug 11, 2009, 10:43 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #10

This is sooooo cooooool Julien!. Love seeing all the colors of the kit parts and the placement, be awesome to see in primer when you get there dude!.
    I think your'e just goin to have to build the rest of it mate, may just take a wee bit longer than the conning tower though?.
    Look forward to this thread J.
    Stu
    From
    Gold coast Queensland Terra Australis
    Aug 12, 2009, 1:19 AM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #11

Wicked I ve been waiteing in anticipation of this. Have you done base plans that you could share with us Mr Tox? There are some other crazy people out that inspire to maybe go down this path after watching your 'research thread'. This is one of those very special builds. Like the Galactica.
  12. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Aug 12, 2009, 9:18 AM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #12

Thanks for your support and all of your comments guys !

Yeah Mike I (really) need a shave ! But Im not like Lorne though

Unfortunatly 24 hours a day here too Guy ! Would love to get more though, I need to finish a lot of stuff !

Matt, you're right that's something which would be impossible with a resin kit (except if you cast each part !). With good lighting it should be really cool ! Of course I'll add FO.

Clerval, do you mean something like that :

? Since it was released for the crew working on TESB, probably someone did wear it while building the ISD But I dont wear it when modeling, I'm not a geek ! Only when I am at work

Max, Stu : The whole model would cost me an arm (and maybe my GF but at least a lot of money and space ). I would have space to build and display it but unfortunatly once built I couldnt move it from this room I would have to build it in section to be able to go through the door...
    Perhaps if each RPF member send me one kitpart, I would be able to fully detail the whole model !

Joke aside, the frame itself would cost a lot (I cant imagine 8 feet plexi plates !). I could build the superstructures though :

But I cant lie and tell you that Ive never thought about the whole model !

Yes Stu it will be shame to put primer on it (even if I love the result after a coat of primer !) because of all the colored parts ! Once I got that I will be very happy !

Omes I did rough plans of the bridge frame (front, sides top and bottom, not the back plates, I cut them larger and adapted to the other faces). I have to draw the neck now. It's quite hard because of all the angles, lenses distorsion etc... But fortunatly the kitparts used on the neck are quite big !
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Phoenix, Az.
    Aug 12, 2009, 1:29 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #13

Julian do have any rooms with a lot of ceiling height?
  14. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Aug 12, 2009, 1:38 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #14

Atemylunch said: View Post
    Julian do have any rooms with a lot of ceiling height?
    Lol Max, yeah I have a room where I could put the ISD like on the pics, I think the ceiling is about 12-14 feet tall ! But that would not be a nice display lol
  15. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Phoenix, Az.
    Aug 12, 2009, 2:03 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #15

MonsieurTox said: View Post
    Lol Max, yeah I have a room where I could put the ISD like on the pics, I think the ceiling is about 12-14 feet tall ! But that would not be a nice display lol
    You could start your build with a balcony.
  16. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Aug 12, 2009, 2:08 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #16

Atemylunch said: View Post
    You could start your build with a balcony.
    Yeah but I would need a crane to put the stuff I need on the balcony !
  17. REL is offline REL
    Aug 12, 2009, 2:09 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #17

Just build the whole thing, Julien. If you have to later, you can remove a wall to get it out of your house, like they do with those hugely obese people when they want to go out the movies and junk.
  18. RPF Premium Member vaderdarth's Avatar
    From
    South Carolina
    Aug 12, 2009, 2:23 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #18

just build it so the tower and neck, and top buildings are removeable (magnets or something) then it will easily go thru a door.
  19. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Aug 12, 2009, 2:55 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #19

REL said: View Post
    Just build the whole thing, Julien. If you have to later, you can remove a wall to get it out of your house, like they do with those hugely obese people when they want to go out the movies and junk.

Yeah you're right Rich ! I saw one on the TV once, they called a huge trick with a huge trailer to drive him to the hospital !

Vaderdarth, yeah the top buildings are removable on the ILM prop (hold by screws), but the door is on thing but I have the stairway :/ The ultimate choice would be through the window, it will be only at the 2nd stair. It sounds impossible (I dont take in count the final cost of the whole thing, when I saw Im under $1200 only for the bridge and neck :s). I should gain some money, maybe I should try poker !
  20. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Phoenix, Az.
    Aug 12, 2009, 4:12 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #20

Since your in Paris, you could make up something about it being art the state could pay for. But then you might have to wear a beret and lop off body parts(just don't send them to anybody you know).
    From
    New Hampshire, USA
    Aug 12, 2009, 8:39 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #21

Gonna pop a Falcon on the backside of that puppy?
    From
    Gold coast Queensland Terra Australis
    Aug 13, 2009, 2:23 AM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #22

Thanks Tox for the input. Hope to hit you up in the future. Great work & its nice to have the input from all these funny guys. I wouldn't paint it, its beautiful. Ive mad a kit list thanks to your & the crews work & am going to get all these kits. Thanks for your dedication & that of all the other contributors. Just take the roof off & crane it out.Put in a sun roof!. If you ever decide to go the whole hog
  23. MonsieurTox is offline MonsieurTox
    Aug 13, 2009, 9:49 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #23

cayman shen said: View Post
    Gonna pop a Falcon on the backside of that puppy?

Yes that's a good idea, I could put a magnet inside the bridge to hold the falcon and I still can remove it ! Thanks for the idea

Very welcome Omes, too bad this place is no more like it was before with a lot of contributors ! Fortunatly there are still a few guys who love ID and share stuff, thanks to all of them !

Some new pics :

All the parts under the white strip are not glued, Im waiting for the Hood kit. Only one part is really bugging me (unfortunatly it is used 2 times on the facia and one time on the port side, and that's not a small part...).

The bad (and good) thing is that I found the Marder skirt that I lost a while back (which goes on the top of the bridge). It was in one of my Shinano box... I bought another Marder for nothing since it's not a great donor...

I should receive my crystal finials very soon, hopefuly they are the right size with the right pattern !
    From
    New Zealand
    Aug 13, 2009, 10:20 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #24

OOhhhh, loookin great Julien, not long to go now dude lol!. Placement of parts looks spot on and man it's soooo awesome to see the parts naked!.
    The bridge and neck alone of this beast is a major parts store depleter I think J, let alone the rest of it, may as well go to tamiya direct and buy sprues by the hundreds lol.
    Keep up the great work Julien, you're just a machine pumping these things out!.

Stu
    From
    Northern California
    Aug 13, 2009, 11:41 PM - Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck #25

First, yes, exactly like that !

Next up, two Qs:

Haven't heard mention of wanting to light this, but I'm curious if you're going to and maybe more importantly, are you going to build out any level of the decks around the base of the neck? I think you could build out (as seen in the image of just the neck, head and decks) but it could really complicate 'everything'... no need for you to go that far, have to admit that it's from a desire to see it taken to taht extreme (but possibly quite unrealistic on even an ambitious budget and time frame)

Best of luck, on with you!