anyone got fake bronze painting knowledge?

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
its been a number of years since i did this and was not 100% happy with the finish.

i have a bust that i would like to finish in a realistic(ish) bronze paint job

have you any hints tips or pics even.

thanks

-z

I painted about 30 life casts with a fake bronze finish in an internship last year. Basically just primed, then painted black and very lightly dusted with gold. The finish was fairly believable from a distance, although I'm sure somebody could give you a more legitimate answer.

I painted about 30 life casts with a fake bronze finish in an internship last year. Basically just primed, then painted black and very lightly dusted with gold. The finish was fairly believable from a distance, although I'm sure somebody could give you a more legitimate answer.

thats how i do it.

Spray the piece flat black. Then get a tube of Rub-n-Buff Grecian Gold (it must be Grecian Gold). Squeeze a bit on a piece of newspaper. Take a 2 inch throw away chip brush and lightly dab it into the gold. Take a paper towel and wipe and stab the brush on the paper towel. Get most of the gold off the brush. Then with quick back and forth whipping motions, dry brush the gold onto the high areas of the piece. Always go lightly and across the forms. Don't be heavy handed. Go lightly. You wont be impressed right away. Keep repeating the steps until you start achieving the look you want. Subtle is more believable.

If you want to go a step further, get some cheap acrylic light blueish green paint (patina color) from Michaels or any craft store. Thin it down a lot with acrylic extender and water. Take a small brush and dab it in some of the deep areas and cuts etc.. and wipe off so it settles in only the deep areas. Random and here and there. It will give that aged patina look.

This will give you the most realistic fake bronze.

Yes, I was going to recommend the same thing, but on objects like costume parts that are frenquently handled, you will also need to put a protective clear finish, matt or shiny depending on the look you want. You can literally wipe all of your work off the object, since it is simply a paste wax with impregnated metallic pigments.

arrrgh! i've started off wrong, i put the bronze colour on first:unsure

i think i'll pop down the art shop and see what type of stuff they have in stock.

i found some verdigris solution online that you paint on over an undercoat.

thanks for your comments/suggestions :thumbsup

-z

I have used bronze acrylics, but found adding a Patina, gave it the look of naturally aged bronze. The patina was added using the desired patina paint colour diluted and sprayed on repeatedly, until I got the look I wanted.

On this sculpture, I sprayed from above to simulate the exposure to rain etc.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back