Castlevania Lord of Shadows Props

Hazelrah

I was wondering if anyone has thought of the Combat Cross from the new castlevania game as a doable prop...I have a few ideas in my head and would love to brainstorm about the feasibility of them. Also wondering if anyone else thinks this would make a cool prop or not.

Wasn't impressed by the demo, but I agree the cross would be pretty cool.

Should be a fairly easy hardware build out of PVC though, it's pretty damned big.

Might interest to dig up a few screencaps to share :)

Chris

I'm not sure how to get screen caps off my xbox 360...and I agree with the pvc to a point, but I also want to find a way to incorporate the retractable spike and whip into it as well...I know, I'm a glutton for punishment. lol

This is the only decent picture I could find online....http://castlevania.neoseeker.com/wiki/Combat_Cross

Last edited:
Ooh...those are much better...lol

Thanks for posting those...how big do you think it is overall? Think the retracting mechanism from a retracting dog leash would fit in it?

Sorry about the images -- they're concept art, they're going to have less detail. Until somebody extracts the Combat Cross code from the files and makes a papercraft kit, I think we're pretty much stuck with those.

In the game? Must be around 3 or 4 meters, assuming Gabriel's about 1.5 to 1.8 meters tall. In real life, go with what's feasible I'd say!

I'm thinking pvc and possibly MDF for a base built around a 20' retractable dog leash....hopefully I can find time to do some sketches soon to better explain my ideas.

Speaking from book-learning (I've never actually tried to wield one myself), a chain 20 feet long is going to be difficult if not impossible to maneuver with anything like the style of the character in the game. A better bet is 12 to 15 feet (4 to 5 meters), which gives you enough distance while still being light enough to whip around.

And the spiked chain is, in real life, completely impractical! Which is why only action heroes get to do that kind of stuff! :D

Yeah...I'm not even sure the retractor mechanism would work with a chain yet. If I got it to work with paracord or a strong line first just as a proof of concept I'd be excited.

I wouldn't even try to make a retractable version of the combat cross as you can't do it with a chain in any decent length, much less you know someone at some point is going to want to play tug of war with it and let it snap back at you at the most improper time. Go with making 2, one with a chain length of your choice and one closed. Can stage pic's that way. And both could have a spring loaded handle for the 'stake' extension upgrade.

The main problem with retractability (as I see it) is it's not going to look like the game. You could get a retractable chain leash and use that, but the retraction mechanism is slow -- it's meant for pets after all, and not mortal combat. Also, the mechnism is housed in a large circular "handle" which won't fit the look of the Combat Cross. Nevertheless, it would look right and have some of the functionality you'd want.

I agree with cheech9898, make two.

well, the functionality is there. if you can use thin chain, such as the type used to hold up porch swings, one could make a retraction device based on spring friction much like a dog leash or measuring tape. the weighted spiked end serves as a counter to the retractor and the centrifugal force produced when swinging the chain keeps it out. once not in use, it rolls back up into itself. but feasibly, you may only get a few feet of chain to fit without losing its good looks. i doubt having spikes on the chain is possible, but retractable spikes on the head and the retractable stake shouldnt be too hard. make it all out of cast steel and old leather and THEN its a weapon. hahaha.

Why not just use some of that super strong plastic chaining they use for parking lots? It would be lightweight, easy to flail around, and I'm sure is readily available in gunmetal colors. A little weathering paint would go a long way to make that a reality. It may not hang exactly right, but it could possibly be retracted pretty easily since it's so light, and it at very least might make a good display prop if it doesn't work out. I'm sure you could sell it off to a cosplayer. That stuff is pretty dense as I recall.

I have mocked one up in CAD, its pretty amazing. . . I just need a real CAD expert to join some edges and locat a CVC cutter that will cooperate with the cutting into plastic. then we could paint or metal cap. matt@mattybeats.com

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back