My New Series Doctor Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

re: My New Series Dr Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

Words can not possibly convey how jealous I am!!!! Absolutely fantastic work.

Philip,
I know when I completed my TARDIS, I really enjoyed hearing all the positive feedback - it really does not get old.... I want to say that your hard work and dedciation to your Matt Smith NST has really paid off and it is simply brilliant! It is the real mccoy in my book. Your attention to the detail has made this build a real success... Hat's off to you sir!

Cheers,
Jon

Philip,
I know when I completed my TARDIS, I really enjoyed hearing all the positive feedback - it really does not get old.... I want to say that your hard work and dedciation to your Matt Smith NST has really paid off and it is simply brilliant! It is the real mccoy in my book. Your attention to the detail has made this build a real success... Hat's off to you sir!

Cheers,
Jon

Thanks Jon... it means a lot coming from such a fan!

Phillip,
Man, those are some great shots. I wished I lived closer.

Wow, 45 Amps?! That's a lot of LEDs!
Very cool.

Okay, off to go see pics now.
:D

Thanks for posting the Party Pics. Looks like a nice party but the TARDIS stole the show. I really enjoyed the night shots. She lights up as well as the real deal. A few questions:

* All the star wars stuff in that other couples photo spread. Are those your collection? It looked like a museum

* The Dalek, is that yours? Built?

* KITT did someone build that or was that a prop from the show?

* Are you considering a lighted screen print for the interior?

Thanks for posting the Party Pics. Looks like a nice party but the TARDIS stole the show. I really enjoyed the night shots. She lights up as well as the real deal. A few questions:

* All the star wars stuff in that other couples photo spread. Are those your collection? It looked like a museum

* The Dalek, is that yours? Built?

* KITT did someone build that or was that a prop from the show?

* Are you considering a lighted screen print for the interior?

Thanks. We did have fun with it at the party.

Yes, that's my Star Wars collection. It's the second floor of my building.

Dalek is Estil Vance's. It's a static prop from David Miller Creations.

KITT was assembled by Wayne, who owns it. Parts are available to make them if you have the time and money.

I do want a translight inside. Just waiting on a way to get the image, then I'll sort out how to light it.

Here's a photo of the disassembled build minus the base.

DSC_1047b.JPG

Last edited:
Re: My New Series Dr Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

In the spirit of the New Yankee (Wookie) Workshop, will you offer a "measured draw-ring" of the project? ;)

The only bad thing I can say is that this project ever had to end. I've so looked forward to watching the progress every day. It's just a work of art Philip! Congrats!

I do have a number of smallish tasks to complete on the build, so there will be a few more updates, and final photos to come.

I do plan to formalize my dimensions and make them available.

More of the final parts of the build are getting done. Not much to show, but there are a few photos.

I had installed only right hand side of the ERA nigh latch for my prop party but have now added the catch side as well. I forgot to mention earlier that like the prop, we removed the ERA logo from the front of the key assembly. We just sanded it off, using coarse to medium fine sandpaper on a granite surface. The correct chrome escutcheon is still coming over from Wayne in the UK, along with the correct chrome door pulls.

DSC_1060.JPG

Note the photo below looks odd because the door is upside down.

DSC_1061a.JPG

DSC_1059a.JPG

I had planned to route the AC power into the base by putting a groove in the bottom to run a wire under, along with the two speaker wires (12v plus stereo signal), but my friend Adam down the way suggested I install a flush mounted PC power plug, which I hadn't even considered. A great idea, which I'm now expanding to include all the power and audio leads for the speakers, and plan to make all those pieces plug and play like the other electronics. I think this will really polish that bit of wiring I wasn't so happy about.

Catching back up on speakers, I ended up deciding to use Bose speakers for the sound. They will just sit on the ground just behind the base.

I picked up all the stuff to wire this up with today. It's a bunch of pieces.

DSC_1058a.JPG

The lantern rebuild is waiting for the topper to arrive from Primrodo so I can mold and cast it. I had mentioned earlier that I had to disassemble the top of the anchor lantern to paint it. Looking at how to put it back together I decided it had to be riveted just like it came originally, so I tracked down the correct brass rivets to do this. Had to buy 100, though I only need 8, so if anybody needs to do the same thing, I have rivets.

Last edited:

Work is slow going on this plug and play for the electrical and speaker connectors.

I first laid out the necessary connections. Which included, bringing in AC power to the base using a PC power supply connector, providing 12vDC out to the right speaker, stereo signal out that same speaker, and left signal back from the right speaker, to the back and back out on the left side where the speaker sits. All the connections to the speakers will be short since they will sit right adjacent to the connection panels.

I also put all of it in CPVC electrical fittings so the AC would meet normal building code, and protect it from damage when the base is being transported.

Once the connection plates were done, I created router templates and made the two pockets in the base. Here's the main one.

DSC_1066a.JPG

And here's the plate for it.

DSC_1083a.JPG

This is the left hand speaker plate in place.

DSC_1080a.JPG

Here's the CPVC fittings all installed.

DSC_1078a.JPG

DSC_1079a.JPG

The junction box will have this part on top of it, and above that will be an opening in the floor that I can reach to plug from there to the power supply and el

DSC_1077.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back