My New Series Doctor Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

Re: My New Series Dr Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

AWESOME WORK! I keep coming back to this thread and I'm just impressed more and more with your workmanship.

Not much has been happening on the build to show photos of. New photos are below.

I did finish the power supply and speaker wiring project. It works great as the wall power plugs in like a PC and both speakers plug in as well.

Scottinthebooth, completed the electronics package. I'm very pleased with how it came out. He did a terrific job on this.

Once the power supply is connected and turned on, the 8-button remote has the following functions. 1. power on / off. 2. Windows, signs and PTO sign on / off 3. Beacon on / off (it just pulses slowly on and off). 4. chirp chirp sound effect. 5. materialize sound effect plus all the lights come on if they are not already on. 6. Dematerialize sound effect, plus all the lights go off at the end, if not already off. 7. Plays 11the doctor theme. 8. Cloister Bell with pulsing beacon endless play. This is the default mode.

To make assembly easier, each of the sign boxes, backlight boxes, walls and wiring connectors all have labels now.

I still have to make labels for each of the cables, because it's a bit of trouble to read the small letters we put on them when we make them up. Each cable is somewhat different in length, depending on where it goes.

I'm still working on my lantern. With new photos from Timerotor over a Tardis Builder's, there's good enough reference to draw the still-unknown-tip-top-lantern-source-nipple from. I've now done that, and my friend Adam will be machining one for me this week to make a mold of. That, combined with the lantern Primrodo sent me to mold should let me get a nice replica together. I've also purchased some acrylic tube to see if I can bead blast it to create a diffuser for the LEDs in the lantern. I also drilled vent holes in the bottom of the lantern so I can put a fan under it to vent warm air from inside the TARDIS. We'll see how that works out.

The PTO door sign is giving me a lot of trouble. The way it's lit is much more complicated than a simple backlight. I think I have it figured out, but am still testing.

Wayne from the UK has posted my chrome handles and chrome lock surround, so soon I'll be able to swap those out, which will be about the last thing other than the lantern and PTO sign to finish.

And on to the photos...

DSC_1263.JPG

DSC_1260.JPG

DSC_1267.JPG

DSC_1165.JPG

DSC_1115a.JPG

DSC_1108a.JPG

DSC_1087a.JPG

DSC_1086a.JPG

Here's a photo of the PTO sign, showing the letter effect from the lighting I'm trying to replicate. Thanks to Geminitimelord for the capture.

victory6.JPG

Last edited:

That looks very nice Philip! LMK if you ever want to sell it...I can pick it up this weekend... ;)

The lit sign looks like the letters are clear with just the top painted black, or could that just be reflection from the production lighting ?

Not much has happened in the past couple of weeks. I received the chrome hardware from Waynevenemous in the UK and swapped it out. Quick photo below.

I'm just about ready to mold the more accurate lantern topper from Primrodo loaned to me. I have had the lantern topper nipple machined from aluminum so it can all be molded as one piece.

Still working on the Pull to open sign design to replicate the look shown above. All among many other things going on here in the shop.

chrome.JPG

Last edited:

Hey Phil,

To get the weird illumination on the PTO sign, could you maybe laser cut around the shapes of the letters at half-depth or so from the BACK of the sign, allowing more light through around the edges without having a visible gap on the front?

I'm pretty sure I know how it was done, I'm building it now, but placing these letters again is a total pain in the butt. I didn't enjoy it the first time.

@REBELSCUM: MASSIVE CONGRATULATION... YOUR JOB IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!

Max, Italy

Phillip, I'm late here in joining in with this thread so I've been doing catch up. Your Tardis build is simply...stunning!! I've seen a few of the years but your new series Tardis is by far the best. The level of detail and work you have put into it is mind-blowing!

I've been lucky enough to work on DW and have longed to one day build my own Tardis and I've got to tell you that yours is, well, truly inspirational. Keep up the amazing work!

Phillip, I'm late here in joining in with this thread so I've been doing catch up. Your Tardis build is simply...stunning!! I've seen a few of the years but your new series Tardis is by far the best. The level of detail and work you have put into it is mind-blowing!

I've been lucky enough to work on DW and have longed to one day build my own Tardis and I've got to tell you that yours is, well, truly inspirational. Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks, that's very kind to relay.

Thanks to you as well Max.

Hey you should have entered the Where is this TARDIS contest on BBCA....it would have blown away the competition for sure.

I originally came across this site searching on prop building and the first thing I found was this thread about your Tardis build.
I have to say with the utmost sincerity that I am truly impressed with the degree of skill and obvious passion that went into this build.
The attention to detail is incredible. I have to say that your craftsmanship easily surpasses that of the builders who built the latest incarnation of the Tardis.

I thought this thread with a photo of the Doctor Who meet up from Sunday at San Diego Comic-Con. Many great costumes.

whomeetup.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best build i think i have seen. My soon to be hubby :love and i have been looking for a blue print and a punch list so we can build a life size TARDIS for our wedding. (At my request might I add) so i am sad :cry to see that your post seem to end back in Aug. Please we need the info to make this dream come true for our wedding. We only have until May 4th to have it done... our wedding date is May 5th 2012.. and I so want Bridal Pics with my own Tardis.

Not only do i think this is the best build i have seen but it looks like you pulled it off the set of the BBC... it is so spot on and it takes my breath away. You are a true craftsman, and i would love to see what else you did to finish and how you did it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back