My New Series Doctor Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

re: My New Series Dr Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

In the past I have to say I was never really a fan of Doctor Who. However in recent weeks I have found myself becoming an addict. With that in mind weather a person is a fan of The Doctor or just loves wood working, I can say this thread is just plain awesome. I can't wait to see how you complete your lighting and the project as a whole.

WOW! Philip, this is looking amazing!

Having seen the real one in the flesh last week, I have to say your TARDIS build quality is way beyond the level of the actual TARDIS!

This actually the prop that's used for location shots, photographed at the new Doctor Who Exhibition in London:
TARDIS1.jpg

TARDIS2.jpg

You can't really see it in the above cellphone pics but the raised wood grain isn't anywhere near as good as it appears in photographs and promotional material and certainly no where near your's!

Philip - this is absolutely the 'best' NST, I have ever seen! You have put so much efforts into making this a phenomenal build - she looks authentic as all get it out... More photos please!

Cheers,
Jon

I'm late to the game but thread subscribed!! It's ridiculous how talented you are and how clean this build has been going. You take such nice photos and give such detailed,clear descriptions, that the thread is practically a tutorial in itself! Keep up the good work, I'm excited to see it finished :]

A photo from the prop party. kimnchris' photo. You can see more in their gallery here-> North Texas Prop Party - a set on Flickr

It's about 98% done. A few details to finish up.

Dalek is eavii's. He couldn't attend the party so he sent this as a placeholder.

tardisndalek.jpg

Last edited:

Phillip I love your Tardis! Thanks for hosting such a great party yesterday.

This build thread is almost as awesome as the real thing!

Phillip, absolutely as amazing as I pictured it to be.

I cannot wait to see some Glamour shots and some video. Also a real good dark night shot.

I wish I Lived in Texas (ok I really dont) so I could have gone to the party.

Is that museum of Star Wars stuff your collection?

It has dematerialization and materialization effects with the beacon pulsing timed to the sound effect. Initially I'll just be using amplified PC speakers. Haven't really sorted out a permanent solution since I don't want to hang speakers on the outside.

Hey Phillip... might I suggest putting the speakers in the Police Pubilc Call Box sign box? Then you'd be able to get 4 fairly large speakers and the box itself and the sign would act as an amplifier generating a very loud sound. Could be worth investigating.

Phillip, absolutely as amazing as I pictured it to be.

I cannot wait to see some Glamour shots and some video. Also a real good dark night shot.

I wish I Lived in Texas (ok I really dont) so I could have gone to the party.

Is that museum of Star Wars stuff your collection?

there's a good bit of video of the tardis in my prop party video including some quick "night" shots. see the prop party thread.

Thanks again Phillip for the invite!

-cris

p.s. of course by "night" I mean dusk I guess. This is as dark as it got while we were still there

nighttardis by kimncris, on Flickr

Whew, it was a race getting the build done enough for my prop party. I have more photos to put up, but thought I'd show this series of assembly photos taken when we were moving it outside.

assembly-01.jpg
assembly-02.jpg

assembly-03.jpg
assembly-04.jpg

assembly-05.jpg
assembly-07.jpg

assembly-07.jpg
assembly-08.jpg

assembly-09.jpg
assembly-10.jpg

assembly-11.jpg

Attachments

• assembly-06.jpg
    assembly-06.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Where is it going to live, permanently? Seems like you could hang speakers behind and above it to really blast that effect.
Easy to put them into walls or disguise them as something else.

Very nice build. I hope I can see it in person someday!

I love the assembly pics! That needs to be an animated GIF...

Last edited:

Absolutely fantastic!

A crying shame you can't post that on the TB forum. The finished result is nothing short of spectacular. Is the dusk shot an accurate representation of the light levels created by the windows? They're incredibly bright (probably brighter than the screen-used prop's windows :p).

1/1/18: Note... this lantern was later built correctly. The only thing that didn't change was the LEDs inside.

Catching up a bit on more of the build details.

I put the top light together knowing the topper was not the correct one, and I didn't have good enough reference on the anchor lantern modification to get it as accurate as it needs to be. Primrodo sent me some photos that provide better reference, so when I receive his topper and cast it, I'll do a rebuild on this.

You can see how I mounted the warm LED strips to the outside of a piece of pvc pipe. It looks a lot like a light bulb would, but the strips are still visible, both when off and on. I'll continue work on a way to make this better, with my initial plan to put a diffuser around the pvc.

I had to remove the top of the anchor lantern to get the fresnel out of it for painting. I looked at masking it but decided it would be difficult, if not impossible, to mask the fresnel and then paint the supports well if it was assembled. This is a slight problem because there are brass rivets holding it on and putting them back wasn't happening in the time I had. So I glued them slightly so I could remove it later for the rebuild.

dsc_0760a.jpg

dsc_0761a.jpg

dsc_0763a.jpg

dsc_0764a.jpg

dsc_0765a.jpg

Last edited:

Here's some detail on the wiring part of the build.

The window backlight boxed each received a male plug for connecting to its power plug above coming out of the bottom of one of the sign boxes.

DSC_0770a.JPG

DSC_0767a.JPG

DSC_0771a.JPG

These are the jumpers used between the mounted plugs. They were made up with a male and female on each end, and 16-2 SO wire (flexible wire).

DSC_1056a.JPG

DSC_1057a.JPG

Here's a photo of the inside of one of the sign boxes. Basically, power was provided to the sign box, and distributed to the users via terminal strips, with each going through a 3 amp circuit breaker.

DSC_1048.JPG

This is the electronics panel that control everything. This is mounted inside the Tardis right above the main power supply with speaker grill mounts just like used for the window backlight boxes, just more of them due to the weight. It will eventually have another box that covers it to keep prying fingers away from the components. The electronics were designed and installed on the box by scottinthebooth.

DSC_0773a.JPG

This is the 12vdc power supply I'm using to provide the high amperage level of power required the many LED lights. It's rated at 70 amps, with the load around 45 amps, possibly a little less.

DSC_0774a.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back