My New Series Doctor Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

re: My New Series Dr Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

I have finished painting the left hand door, and assembled the PTO door. I decided to go ahead and paint the inside of the door blue as well. I also placed the window in the opening, but discovered an issue with it. The location of the slot I placed in the window assemblies is covered up on the inside of the doors because of the raised panel overlay that's on the doors, but not on the walls. I had thought I could still get to the slot on the doors but I can't. Which means I'll have to either build two new windows with more room or see if I can modify the white acrylic to allow access, but still not see it from the outside. I have three extra waterjet cut window frames, so I'm good to build new ones if necessary.

DSC_1089.JPG

I caught up with a couple of nagging details today as well. I cut the news sign box back covers and painted them.

DSC_1090.JPG

And I cut in the access slots in the bottom and top of the windows backlight boxes and began painting them as well. The slots will allow the inserts to be put into the window assemblies to change their color (as mentioned earlier)

DSC_1087.JPG

DSC_1088.JPG

Last edited:

Dude, I was waiting for this moment to see a door or wall. I pulled up a photo of the actual TARDIS and I am telling you 100% that is the colour and with your sand blast that grain look is exact!

Damn this will probably be the most accurate prop build to date.

Great job on all aspects of this build. Sometimes you need to build it to see the little things that you need to adapt. At least you got some extra parts in case you needed them , like for the windows.
I am still enjoying the updates and the build your doing.
Amazing skills man.

Not much work today and I forgot to add a photo, but I cut off 3/8" of the bottom of the door window backlight acrylic to see if that gives me enough access to the window slot. I think it does, but I'll have to use card stock that's thinner than matte board I was planning to use. But at least I don't have to rebuild the windows and worry about them looking slightly different than the others.

I also got the sign box back panels installed.

Looks like it's going to be Saturday before the temp goes above freezing. I can paint either way, but it's "heat out the window" when I do since I'm moving a lot of air through the building with the exhaust fans.

A couple closer door photos. I haven't received my chrome door pulls, and if they don't arrive soon, I'll fall back to my original plan to nickel plate the original brass ones I have. I'm still using antique brass PTO door hinges, but I have polished brass ones that I'll nickel plate as well.

DSC_0013.JPG

I finished up painting the outside of all the window backlight boxes and started on the right hand door.

DSC_0014.JPG

Last edited:

More painting today. Have finished the right hand door and the back panel.

It looks like I *may* run out of blue paint before I'm done, which surprises me. Though I did paint the back side of the doors, window backlight boxes, the inside of the posts and sign boxes, which I had originally planned to paint black.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Last edited:

That just looks superb! I just wish I lived in Texas to see this beauty in person!

Soo awesome. Curious, is the bottom of the right door warped or did you not have it totally shut? I had issues with my doors warping a little.

Philip - the praise just continues on this build of yours, and rightfully so... Need I say more? I should think not! This MS NST is brilliant! I am eager to see this finsihed up. You defnitely have a clone there.

Keep the photos coming!

Jon

Soo awesome. Curious, is the bottom of the right door warped or did you not have it totally shut? I had issues with my doors warping a little.

Neither door was perfectly straight when done but the right door just isn't closed all the way there. I used a combination of the left hand door bolt, adjustment of the hinges and plan to use the era lock when I install it to hold it all together in the best compromise I could make.

Beautiful work with amazing craftsmanship.
Have you used any tools that aren't already mentioned in this thread?
I can't help but hope it will be "bigger on the inside."

Beautiful work with amazing craftsmanship.
Have you used any tools that aren't already mentioned in this thread?
I can't help but hope it will be "bigger on the inside."

hmmm, not really sure.

Maybe a planer, which I used to make the door hinge mounting boards the exact thickness necessary for a perfect fit. Not sure if I mentioned that.

Various sanders, round random orbit, belt and square oscillating.

I constantly use Incra Precision T-Rules for marking boards. Incredibly handy and accurate. INCRA Measuring, Marking & Layout :: Precision T-Rules

My Epilog Laser cutter has seen some use, mostly to save time. Nothing I did on it for this project couldn't have been done manually another way.

Can't think of anything else.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back