My New Series Doctor Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

re: My New Series Dr Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

I finished up the base again today. After trimming, it had to be masked again and the blue edge had to be painted.

Here it is ready to have the Tardis assembled on top of it.

DSC_1068.JPG

After finishing that up, I set to finishing the sign boxes. I hadn't really thought through how I was going to mount the LEDs in it, and recalled that I had intended to put a spacer in the middle of the back of the sign box to hold it exactly 5-1/2" apart. Three of them were slightly less than that, and one was more so it was a good plan to put in the spacers.

I decided to mount the LEDs to a 1/8" thick piece of MDF that sits in front of that spacer. To support this, I also added a 3/4" block on each end. I'll use a single screw to fix the MDF to the middle spacer to hold it in place.

Then, I went ahead and painted the rest of the sign box blue, though my original plan had been to leave part of it black.

I still have to make the sign box back panels again. The first ones I made from 1/4" plywood bowed several inches, which was pretty amazing to see, but do require them to be replaced. I'll use the same 1/4" red oak I used for the wall and door panels. It will stay straight.

DSC_1064.JPG

DSC_1067.JPG

Last edited:

Awesome. Philip I am watching every day in anticipation of seeing this build complete.

Curious, and if I missed this I apologise, where are you going to display your build?

Awesome. Philip I am watching every day in anticipation of seeing this build complete.

Curious, and if I missed this I apologise, where are you going to display your build?

This will probably be assembled inside my shop in a spot that has a much taller ceiling most of the time. I also plan to take it to some of the comiccon shows we produce here in Texas. First outing will be in May, other than it will be set up with Gary Weaver's BTTF Delorean at my prop party in Feb. Should be a good photo op.

I also have plans to have it out front of the house for Halloween for giving out candy... My wife has yet to fully commit to dressing up as an Ood though. :confused

I spent a little time this morning finishing the sign box light panels and put one together to see how it lights up.

I'm headed over to the Dallas Sci-Fi expo we're producing this weekend and I'll be taking this light there to show. It will be interesting to see how many Doctor fans stop by to see it.

DSC_1069.JPG

Last edited:

I started putting the painted pieces together this afternoon. Still have to make and paint the backs for the sign boxes.

Next steps will be to get the wall panels and doors painted.

DSC_1073.JPG

DSC_1070.JPG

Last edited:

You, Sir. Are a Master Craftsman. This is incredibly detailed, considering you havent had "hands on" access to the real BBC prop. What will you do with it once it is completed?

Phil your box is looking great...wait that sounded kind of bad.:rolleyes

Can't wait to see this at the prop party.

I'll have a set of bits but hopefully my Tron helmet will be done in time.

You, Sir. Are a Master Craftsman. This is incredibly detailed, considering you havent had "hands on" access to the real BBC prop. What will you do with it once it is completed?

Thanks blue2k. I answered this question just a couple posts ago... check it out.

AMAZING, every day I am checking with anticipation.

I am curious, how did the posts fit into the base? I know how you constructed them to work my question is more did they go snug? fit right in? is there much wobble?

AMAZING, every day I am checking with anticipation.

I am curious, how did the posts fit into the base? I know how you constructed them to work my question is more did they go snug? fit right in? is there much wobble?

They were made 1/16 undersized and just drop right in and have enough sway to allow the movement needed to put the sign boxes between them.

It makes it really easy to just insert them and not worry about them falling over.

The whole process works great.

Last edited:

I love seeing the posts and signboxes up! Nice! How well does your LED system work for illuminating?

The LEDs look like they will work fine. The photo below is with all the shop lights on, which are quad density (4x more light than office lighting and cool white) and the letters are good in it. When I took it to the show yesterday, it was perfect in the normal building lighting.

DSC_1069.JPG

Last edited:

I had a mishap on my build when I attempted to assemble after the painting process. One of the corner posts that had the door attached was put in place and as I turned around it tipped over ripping the hinge right off the door. Had I thought of your process prior to building it would have been a better system.

That is a bummer for sure.

Here's a photo of my posts plugged into the base as I began assembling it this time. It's a bit of work to get the sign boxes put up there between them so it's been pretty important they move around a bit and not fall over during the assembly.

DSC_1071.JPG

Last edited:

I've followed a lot of TARDIS builds in recent years in preparation for having a go at building the 'Old Girl' myself.

Yours Sir i,s one of the crispest, cleanest most stunning pieces of carpentry I have ever seen. She's beautiful.

Fantastic !

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back