Dremel attachment for cutting?

Generationz

Hello! Long time lurker here! Just joined and I must say there is some crazy talent on this board.

I've looked around the forum, but found no answers to my question.

What is the best Dremel attachment for cutting?

I'm looking for a very thin cut.

I'm using this to cut apart my IM helmet to make it wearable for Halloween.

Thanks for the help guys!

The only thing I know about is a cutting wheel with a flex shaft attachment. That is all I can think of to cut with using a dremel.

You can use a router bit with the spacer attachment that controls height above the workpiece. That or a cutting wheel. I prefer the cutting wheel personally. If you want a straight cut mask off straight lines with painters tape and cut away.

Qui - Thanks for the heads up! Will have to look into that.

Kibosh - Could you post a pic or link?

Sith - I tried the cutting wheel on a small section and it looks like it leaves a pretty large gap. Could you possibly post pics of your cuts?

What do you guys think about the Dremel saw attachment?

Is there any alternative method for easy cutting?

Thanks for helping this newb out!

Thanks so much for the help guys!

So I'm new to using bits for cutting.

Is there a guide attachment or do you guys just free hand the cuts?

I saw in another thread where someone suggested using a exacto saw, anyone know if this is a good method?

Different jobs require different tools. You are going to have to be more specific with what you are trying to accomplish.

Zax - If you read my first post it states I will be using this to cut apart a IM helmet to make it wearable for halloween.

Any reccomendations?

As mentioned, if you say what kind of cut you're trying to make, we can recommend something specific.

Most cutting bits and saws leave at least 1/8" gap. Depending on material there is some specialized stuff

Zax - If you read my first post it states I will be using this to cut apart a IM helmet to make it wearable for halloween.

Any reccomendations?

Sorry, I just didn't know what an IM helmet was. A dremel multi-purpose tool will cut through fiberglass very easily, but it will leave at least a 1/8" cut line. The dremel cutting wheel will leave a much smaller line, but you will have a hard time getting accurate lines around corners and small spaces that a wheel won't fit into well.

I have used a jewelers saw (hobby saw) for fiberglass and I always get great result with that, and tiny cut lines that are accurate. However, it takes forever and until you get good at it, expect to break several blades before you finish.

I would probably use all three. I would use the multipurpose bit for large areas that can be easily repaired with bondo. Then I would use the cutoff wheel for small straight seam lines, and last use the saw for tight corners.

Good luck, and share your results!

You will have to use a Jewelers saw, the Dremel cut wheel is just too "destructive" for that type of fine work, furthermore, it will cut away more material than you really want it to.

Here's an Iron Man helmet I hacked up using a Exacto Jewelers saw and Exacto micro saws. I did not use a Dremel to cut any of this.

helmet1.jpg

helmet2.jpg

neckring2.jpg

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back