Back to the Future Guitars

It looks to me like any cheap humbucker without adjustable pole pieces would work. Most aftermarket pickups won't be like that. It's usually an attribute of cheap pickups. There are a bunch of them on eBay right now if you just search "humbucker," or you could check with a local guitar shop and see if they have anything they've taken out of somebody else's guitar.

View attachment 591008

Pole pieces? Are you talking about the bobbins? It's not what I'm talking about...

See er on Peters picture, there are holes on the extremities of the plate. I don't think these are correct. I'll be explaining it with pictures once I'll be on my laptop.

Last edited:
Okay, so I hope I am making some more sense now:

chi.jpg

Pole pieces? Are you talking about the bobbins? It's not what I'm talking about...

See er on Peters picture, there are holes on the extremities of the plate. I don't think these are correct. I'll be explaining it with pictures once I'll be on my laptop.

The pole pieces are the silver dots. Most aftermarket ones have screws on one of the bobbins so you can adjust their height.

5961_1.jpg

I see what you mean about the holes and the rounded off edges now. I think the holes are a pretty standard thing, but not a detail I have ever really paid attention to while looking at guitars so I couldn't tell you if I've ever noticed one without them before or not. Are we positive they aren't on the one in the movie? Could they be there and we just can't see them because of the lighting? Even in your one picture of a set of humbuckers, the holes on the top one are kind of hard to see.

It still looks to me like it is a lower end pickup so I still think your best bet is to find one at a guitar shop or from a guitar repair guy that was ripped out of something else.

Edit:

I found one that's pretty close. It has all slug pole pieces and no holes, but the edges aren't quite as round. You could always just sand them down a bit. It says he won't ship outside of the US but I'll PM you a link. Maybe he will if you ask nicely, haha.

Last edited:
I have another question... Do you think the Ibanez strap could be red instead of orange? Knowing that the movie got some filter that enlighten the colours...?

tumblr_m8wqmpQBEh1rvjt2vo2_500.gif

I got my Chiquita back today after getting the black hardware installed. I also replaced the volume knob hardware as well since I felt like they didn't age well lol. I'm going to scan the white truss rod cover I have and edit it in an image program to print out a black and gold decal. Is anyone here experienced in cleaning up fine lines on images? The cover I have has a slightly faded logo.
12745427_10206136009307277_416237170814006259_n.jpg

Last edited:
I used the logo from the following Hondo ad from 1982 as a basis for my vector file.

attachment.php

And here it is. It's a white logo on a black cover. Print it on a self-adhesive golden foil or paper.

PDF file for the single cover: hondo_logo.pdf
PDF file for 30 covers on a US-Letter sheet: hondo_logo_usletter.pdf
PDF file for 30 covers on a A4 sheet: hondo_logo_a4.pdf

Preview picture:

attachment.php

Attachments

• hondo_logo.jpg
    hondo_logo.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 536
  • hondo_logo.png
    hondo_logo.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 554
I used the logo from the following Hondo ad from 1982 as a basis for my vector file.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=594928&d=1456108875

And here it is. It's a white logo on a black cover. Print it on a self-adhesive golden foil or paper.

PDF file for the single cover: hondo_logo.pdf
PDF file for 30 covers on a US-Letter sheet: hondo_logo_usletter.pdf
PDF file for 30 covers on a A4 sheet: hondo_logo_a4.pdf

Preview picture:

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=594933&d=1456109347

This is fantastic Roland. Just one touch up could be made though if it's not too much trouble. The top tips of the I guess letter H, the gaps on the real thing and on the ad are a tiny bit bigger. Expert job by the way.

.... Print it on a self-adhesive golden foil or paper. ...

Thanks Roland, but logo has to be gold :p

Reading is an art! :p;)

... The top tips of the I guess letter H, the gaps on the real thing and on the ad are a tiny bit bigger. ...

The logo on the cover is poorly printed (or weared out over time) and so the lines are thinner and the sharp corners are more rounded. That's why the gaps appear bigger. The printing quality on Emma's cover is a little bit better. As you can see, the gaps on her "H" are smaller. Not as small as on the ad, but still smaller than on your "H". I guess it's all a matter of the printing quality.

Edit: Just looked on the picture of the black and gold cover, you sent me. The gaps are much smaller there.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 290319639796-3.jpg
    290319639796-3.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:
Roland, I just used the file and applied the decal to my plate as a test and it is like 1% too big lol. I had to use scissors to trim the borders.

- - - Updated - - -

Reading is an art! :p;)

The logo on the cover is poorly printed (or weared out over time) and so the lines are thinner and the sharp corners are more rounded. That's why the gaps appear bigger. The printing quality on Emma's cover is a little bit better. As you can see, the gaps on her "H" are smaller. Not as small as on the ad, but still smaller than on your "H". I guess it's all a matter of the printing quality.

Edit: Just looked on the picture of the black and gold cover, you sent me. The gaps are much smaller there.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=595155&d=1456161482
Ahh ok. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so after a few websites and looking over 200 pages on ebay, I finally found the humbucker I was looking for. Apparently this one is from a vintage Ibanez from late 80's/ early 90s.

Anyway, this is how I got it, not too tasty heh,

574546.jpg

And after a good clean and rewiring everything (it actually sounds better with the ibanez than the hondo humbucker haha)

DSC_0938.jpg

Also reworked on the truss cover that I repainted black and added a golden sticker, even if Roland's file is great, I decided to just use my scan as I like the grungy effect:

DSC_0934.jpg

DSC_0936555.jpg

Rock n' roll!

DSC_0919.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a question. I noticed that one of the saddle seems to have black screws.. What do you think? Or is it just the lightning?

Thanks x)

154816.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back