Back to the Future Guitars

She is a beaut! Just needs the right Bigsby and she's perfect.

I do need to add the Varitone dial. Although there is no one that makes truly accurate dials and you can't get replacements from Gibson :(

Last edited:
Your only other option would be to buy an actual Gibson neck and replace yours, but the neck alone will cost more than your whole Epi guitar did.

And that's if that neck is made in a bolt-on version.....Most higher end gibsons have a set neck or neck through construction, where the neck is part of the guitar body

Any ideas where I can get a vintage solid inlay for the 12th fret on that guitar I bought? I want to swap out the split inlay so it matches the movie one.

Having owned many guitars and toyed with some nice vintage ones, with gold hardware, id say the Gibby in question has gold hardware. My custom Gretsch's gold hardware is aging nicely and in some lighting it looks silverish.

For replicas, you guys should look into the Chinese clones the guitar community refer to as a "Gibsun". There are other replicas out there but that is a good start. The headstock I believe is part of a copyright design so buy at your own risk as various countries customs agents may not allow them in. They are hit and miss in the US.

The best 335 clone ive ever played was made by "S101" and I still own it. It cost me $100 used, put about $100 into it and it out plays near anything next to a shredder.

I should also note that since manufacturing is based overseas many name brand guitars will show up on the black market with no names on them. Even in this day and age the assembly line will continue to run after hours and out the back door. Gretsch in particular was having this issue for some time, not sure if its still going on though but a $3000 guitar could be had for $200 without the name on it. Years ago while working at the Port of LA I picked up some Filterton pick ups and harnesses off busted up no name Gretsch guitars that didnt make it past customs. I didnt bother to dive to deep into the dumpster but there were also 335 clones and Fenders...

Finally completed my Chiquita. I think I have everything. Had to buy 3 of them to get all the right parts I needed for this. I bought one just to get that ultra-rare black truss rod cover with the Hondo logo on it. Is this the first fully accurate one?

my-chiquita-guitar.jpg

marty-chiquita-guitar.jpg

Last edited:
No, I meant buy a vintage one - there are ones from guitars that have been taken apart on there.

I guess I've just never seen a vintage dial on ebay then. If I do, I'll definitely pick one up. I've tried contacting gibson, but they wont sell me one because I don't have a Gibson....just an Epi.

I guess I've just never seen a vintage dial on ebay then. If I do, I'll definitely pick one up. I've tried contacting gibson, but they wont sell me one because I don't have a Gibson....just an Epi.

I've got that Gibson coming to me.. what sort of proof of ownership do they need?

I have 2 guitars in my BTTF Collection.

My Chiquita with the mini-amp and My Ibañez ASF75T, this is very similar to the Gibson :D

chiki.jpg

banez.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back