Licensed Blade Runner Spinner Replica

With the dollar so good at the moment, i think i will order a second one and with some mods, turn it into a spinner interceptor.

Gloss black finish, the engine and blower from my biante interceptor set into the roofpiece, cut out some wheel arches in the rear and fit new,custom
Sun style wheels, modify the lightbar slightly, leaving just the upper blue lights, then some MFP decals and then add the eight exhaust pipes from the biante....mmmm.
The leftover blu rays will make good xmas gifts.

I think the Bluray combo was just a way for them to get around the licensing problems. Licensing objects seems to be tough to make happen with BR but a media release with a "bonus" object could be a way to avoid certain restrictive beauracracies inherent with BR.

Nick

Thanks Andy, that clears it up.

Mechinyun, this thread will show you better, i dont think the conversion kits are available anymore.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/full-medicom-future-car-conversion-70919/

JTC, if your not into it your not into it but this is exceptional value.
This is what the only previous version of this spinner looked like when it was on sale over 10 years ago....

View attachment 37158

After you spend up to $300US for that, you would then have to spend around another $200US for the other bits needed, $50US for paint and around 20-50 hours to get it to this......

View attachment 37159

Deal of the Century for a BR fan.
First of all, I AM a Blade Runner fan, and I AM into it. I shelled out the money for the big DVD boxed set pictured above, and am glad to have it.

If I could afford it, I'd buy one of the highly accurate replicas of Deckard's pistol, the ones that have been made recently after fans got to see the actual filming prop to get all the details accurate. But I know how costly that prop would be and I can't afford it at the moment.

But for a replica car that's not even die-cast metal, apparently? $180 is too high regardless of who's made it, IN MY OPINION.

Even the $146 at HLJ (whatever the heck that is... please, people, stop assuming that others know what your obscure abbreviations mean! And please post a link to the product on said website! Kthxbye!) is too high IMO.

If you see the value in that pricing, cool. If you think it's a good deal, awesome. But when I can walk into a hobby store in the US and spend $30-40 to get a high-quality, DIE-CAST METAL, 1:18th scale replica of KITT from Knight Rider WITH WORKING LIGHTS, why should I have to pay $180 to get a similar replica of the BR Spinner, that may not even be made of metal? It makes no sense to me, even WITH it being a Japanese import. I just can't see the value in that myself.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the cost is also related to licensing fees. Blade Runner is notorious for being a close-to-impossible property to license, so even if a company is lucky enough to do so, the cost of the license is ultimately going to be factored into the final product. Combine that with the item being much more limited in quantity then a mainstream property, and the fact it's an import for a lot of us, I can see why it costs what it does.

The 1/18 diecast Mad Max Interceptor was also expensive.

The fervor for a decent Spinner is high I think they know that the zealots will pay.

I guess plastic is ok for the Spinner, as it flies, I would expect it to be light weight so I can justify it not being die cast in my brain I suppose.

HLJ is cheaper then bigbadtoystore, but shipping from Japan can bite you so you have to pick carefully your shipping options.

Blade Runner Collector's Box (Blu-ray & MAV Police Spinner Set)

HLJ is Hobby Link Japan: HLJ.com.

Great place to get model kits and other toys/collectibles. Even after shipping from Japan, models are usually about half the price of what you can find domesticly (if you can find the same models here at all).

Make a big order and save on shipping. I pillage the sale section ever year or two. After you get spoiled by Bandai kits it is hard to go back to anything else.

The reason this is so much more expensive than the ones you can find at Toy's R Us for other shows is that those are made in much higher quantity. There aren't as many Blade Runner fans under a certain age, that also like to buy toys as there are for other Sci-Fi and popular flicks. So much less will sell, and most of those collectors are also more likely to be in a good paying field and willing to pay more. Simple supply and demand. Like Nick and others stated too, the Blade Runner partnership has all but refused to sell licensed stuff without a huge licensing fee which would kill just about any desire to sell official stuff.

That is why except through the Video sales, where Warner surely got a rider to sell stuff with the video, and promotional items, there has not been any official Blade Runner stuff since the movie first came out. Maybe Bud and Jerry wanted to also avoid the over marketing and cheapening of their property as seen with many other films today. Stuff sitting in the clearance rack at the toy store or Walmart makes a bad statement about the film.

Also a rated 'R' film with very few young (and/or old) toy collecting fans (excluding myself of course ;) ). Most of the fans of this movie aren't looking for cheap mass produced collectibles, but more likely costly display pieces done in limited editions. A mass produced version (in the 10's of thousands or millions as opposed to a couple thousand) would unlikely sell out and lose money. In the end spending a little more on a single item that is much more likely to increase in value over time, and also take up much less space than a collection of carded action figures and toys seems to me to be a better use of probably the same amount or less money. Sorry for the rant :D, but I am a recovering toy collector.

Andy

Jack T Chance WROTE:
First of all, I AM a Blade Runner fan, and I AM into it. I shelled out the money for the big DVD boxed set pictured above, and am glad to have it.

If I could afford it, I'd buy one of the highly accurate replicas of Deckard's pistol, the ones that have been made recently after fans got to see the actual filming prop to get all the details accurate. But I know how costly that prop would be and I can't afford it at the moment.

But for a replica car that's not even die-cast metal, apparently? $180 is too high regardless of who's made it, IN MY OPINION.

Even the $146 at HLJ (whatever the heck that is... please, people, stop assuming that others know what your obscure abbreviations mean! And please post a link to the product on said website! Kthxbye!) is too high IMO.

If you see the value in that pricing, cool. If you think it's a good deal, awesome. But when I can walk into a hobby store in the US and spend $30-40 to get a high-quality, DIE-CAST METAL, 1:18th scale replica of KITT from Knight Rider WITH WORKING LIGHTS, why should I have to pay $180 to get a similar replica of the BR Spinner, that may not even be made of metal? It makes no sense to me, even WITH it being a Japanese import. I just can't see the value in that myself.

Jeez, whats all that about?
I was simply showing you what anyone who wanted a spinner of rhe same type would have to go through until this release.
The fact that you can walk in to a store a get a fully optioned version of KITT is well its KITT and not a spinner. You cannot
walk into any shop to get a spinner as they simply dont exist.
Yes, the MM Interceptor is expensive CessnaDriver and apart from the seat, its quality is superb so i dont get the reference.
Notice how the James Bond Aston Martins are always more expensive than the regular Astons when it comes to scale model cars?

Last edited:
Jack T Chance WROTE:

Jeez, whats all that about?
I was simply showing you what anyone who wanted a spinner of rhe same type would have to go through until this release.
The fact that you can walk in to a store a get a fully optioned version of KITT is well its KITT and not a spinner. You cannot
walk into any shop to get a spinner as they simply dont exist.
Yes, the MM Interceptor is expensive CessnaDriver and apart from the seat, its quality is superb so i dont get the reference.
Notice how the James Bond Aston Martins are always more expensive than the regular Astons when it comes to scale model cars?

I collect 1/18 cars and aircraft. it's an awesome scale.
So I guess my point is sometimes like the interceptor, there is a price to pay now and then. If they all cost that much, then yeah not a good hobby. But now and then for something special I'll bite. Like the 66 Batmobile in 1/18, this is a dream product many have waited a long time for short of garage kits.

Thanks Andy, that clears it up.

Mechinyun, this thread will show you better, i dont think the conversion kits are available anymore.
http://www.therpf.com/f9/full-medicom-future-car-conversion-70919/

JTC, if your not into it your not into it but this is exceptional value.
This is what the only previous version of this spinner looked like when it was on sale over 10 years ago....

View attachment 37158

After you spend up to $300US for that, you would then have to spend around another $200US for the other bits needed, $50US for paint and around 20-50 hours to get it to this......

View attachment 37159

Deal of the Century for a BR fan.

Wow man, thats great stuff there. I totally missed that thread with your build up.

Sorry but this made me laugh, you DONT know who HLJ are? You didnt maybe think to even Google HLJ...so see what this NSA guarded secret acronym was, instead of having a brainfart on a public board?
I have to agree, if your a BR fan, and love the Spinner (who doesnt) this is STEAL.....practically a giveaway.

lee

Not everyone is well-versed in the world of the internet toy/hobby sellers. I didn't know who HLJ was either. I did, however, google it to find them. Still, wouldn't have hurt to put the link/address in there, for those of us who DO have the occasional "brain fart." And you don't need to bash the guy about it. Intended or not, that's how it looked.

He (Jack T) also gave a well-thought out explanation about his reasons for not seeing the logic in the price, just as others gave their logic in it being a good deal.

I wouldn't call it "Practically a giveaway," especially in this economy. Having recently (past several years)tried to find the Medicom BttF (that's "Back to the Future"... see? It's not so hard) "Future Car" it does seem like quite the steal. Especially having to then FIND the parts, do the research and work, etc. However, that does not mean $150-$180 is a good deal. Yeah, KITT is KITT, but it is the same type of car (meaning genre and size) as the spinner (obviously, doesn't compare cause it's "Knight Rider" and anything with David Hassellhoff attached to it can't be that good). So I can see the price comparison that's being made. Licensing or fan-base doesn't usually play into the consumer's thinking. It's apples and apples to them.

That all being said, I might have to shell out the cash, as the spinner is way cool. For me it's like the Millenium Falcon for Star Wars, or the Pulse Rifle for ALIENS. And having one that size would rule.

Plus, If "I" buy it at that price, all you other fans will most certainly be able to get one for like $5 the day after I order it. Just my luck. ;)

Thanks,
Chris

Took the plunge and pre-ordered it..!! Yes from HLJ (never heard of them but you all seem to o.k them)..Looking forward to it!

Does anyone know for sure if this licensed version will have the opening doors and rotating front wheel hoods? It looks fantastic as it is but, like the hover conversion on the BTTF Delorean, it's the interactive element that will really sell it to me.

Thanks.

Does anyone know for sure if this licensed version will have the opening doors and rotating front wheel hoods? It looks fantastic as it is but, like the hover conversion on the BTTF Delorean, it's the interactive element that will really sell it to me.

Thanks.

The original release of the Medicom had those moving parts.
Hopefully they didn't have to re-engineer any of those aspects for this version.

On one of the Japanese-text paper ads, it shows the doors up and the tire hoods up, so it looks like those DO move. :)

Regarding shipping, who typically has the best shipping prices? bigbadtoystore.com has the set for $179, while hlj.com has it for $146, but how expensive does their shipping prices usually run.

Also, the only other places I could find this set are:

Blade Runner Collector's Box [838308] - $154.82 : Otacute, online shop : Figures, Pro Models, Trading figures, Trading cards, Goodies from Japan ($155)

Blade Runner Collector`s Box (blu-ray & MAV Police Spinner Set) MedicomToy blu-ray|Miracle Action Vehicle Blade Runner ($157)

Blade Runner Collector's Box (Blu-ray & MAV Police Spinner Set)

$146

Blade Runner Collector's Box [838308] - $154.82 : Otacute, online shop : Figures, Pro Models, Trading figures, Trading cards, Goodies from Japan

$155 (+ $10 basic S&H)

Blade Runner Collector`s Box (blu-ray & MAV Police Spinner Set) MedicomToy blu-ray|Miracle Action Vehicle Blade Runner

$157

Rakuten - - - Pre-order will be released in December «Medicom» Collector Blade BLADE RUNNER COLLECTOR'S BOX [Blu-ray & MAV POLICE SPINNER SET] ($164)

HLJ is the cheapest I've found so far, but if their shipping is outrageous, it might be better going with someone else (though otacute.com was the only place I could find ANY kind of S&H charge).

If anyone else has other options, please post.

Thanks,
Chris

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back