Superman going emo??

Everything I've read about this looks good... despite the writer not being a favorite of mine (in fact, I've just about dropped the regular title since he's taken over).

It's Clark as a young adult, he's going to do things a young adult does. This article is the first I've heard it described as emo. If it is "emo" and it's well written and it fits the character, then dammit, count me in because I sure remember Superman with a mullet and it ain't any different then wearing a hoodie and fitting in with civilization.

Wasn't it bad enough that the did the same thing to Wonder Woman? They remade her, even though her new look was not only horrible but went against everything Wonder Woman stood for.

Buffy meets Wonder Woman.

Twilight meets Superman.

What's next? True Blood meets Green Lantern?

****! FORGET I SAID IT!

(disclaimer : The comic might be actually good, but I'm in the mood for a good rant anyway)

This is what happens when somebody from marketing makes you write a comic based on surveys and marketing research.

I bet they asked teens who have never picked up a comic in their life questions like "Which character do you relate to most ? A dark, violently cool, flawed anti-hero or a stupid heroic character ?" And a bunch of other leading questions.

They never ask "Do you like Superman, does he need an overhaul ?"

Armed with that data they pick up any flagging title and then demand that character is forced into their brand new mould. So they stuff Superman into it and then press hard, really hard, until blood seeps out.

And presto, we have the new "Emo" Superman.

Warner needed to quickly get the movie out or lose the rights to the franchise. It is no surprise that the movie could take a turn either way.

Sad to see because I have always been of the contention that if you need to rewrite the character, make a new one, don't ruin an already good one. For those that think its hard to write for Superman, it has been done well for decades, YOU HAVE TO STICK TO WHO HE ORIGINALLY WAS, that has been what has been popular. No one likes or remembers the rewrites for a reason. I am saddened the studio just cannot understand that basic concept. But then I guess if you have no character, it is hard to understand a franchise who's foundation is such.

Again - there are characters that change themselves to suit the surrounding world and then there are characters who change the world -
Batman - changes to fit the world
Superman - changes the world
I wasn't a fan of Superman's long hair- but there was kind of a reason for it (being that he was dead and came back looking like Kip Winger). Around that time is when I dropped out of comics and stopped reading. The Spider-man Clone was happening and it seemed like there were 20 titles per character - upon seeing this I know there's no need for me to start spending my money again.

Again - there are characters that change themselves to suit the surrounding world and then there are characters who change the world -
Batman - changes to fit the world
Superman - changes the world
I wasn't a fan of Superman's long hair- but there was kind of a reason for it (being that he was dead and came back looking like Kip Winger). Around that time is when I dropped out of comics and stopped reading. The Spider-man Clone was happening and it seemed like there were 20 titles per character - upon seeing this I know there's no need for me to start spending my money again.

That's about when I stopped reading comics too, or at least switched over to Dark Horse from the two majors. For me, the thing that killed it was the X-Men stuff. You had Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor, New Mutants, Wolverine, Excalibur, then later X-Force, X-Man, and so on and so forth. I was 13 at the time and could NOT afford to be dropping $20 every month just for comics.

I've only recently started reading the "rebooted" Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps stuff, although I only ever read it in TPB collections, rather than buying every month.

Every year you get the big "cross title event" which requires you to purchase a bajillion different titles every month, often only to get snippets of info re: the main story in a bunch of "side stories" which are otherwise unrelated. Like I said, this is why I prefer TPBs.

While there's good stuff to be found out there, there's a LOT of crap.

Judging an awful lot from one image, there. The hoodie is covering his uniform - it's not the uniform itself. The red eyes are heat vision warming up - not a permanent "smoldering" condition.

supermanearthone1p2.JPG

supermanearthone1p3.JPG

supermanearthone1p4.JPG

Looks like a wholesome, classic-style Superman retelling to me. He's ambitious and intelligent! He loves his parents and excels in every field from finance to science to professional sports before deciding he'd like to pursue a career in journalism! Ah, but he's young still. How emo of him!

Judging an awful lot from one image, there. The hoodie is covering his uniform - it's not the uniform itself. The red eyes are heat vision warming up - not a permanent "smoldering" condition.

Looks like a wholesome, classic-style Superman retelling to me. He's ambitious and intelligent! He loves his parents and excels in every field from finance to science to professional sports before deciding he'd like to pursue a career in journalism! Ah, but he's young still. How emo of him!

thats the kind of sound reasoning that doesnt belong here, are you sure you're in the right place?

again for every one else that prefer to complain than look into it, its an ultimate comics version of superman. its superman set in the real world, written for people that dont read comic books, to get those otherwise not interested in comics, interested in comics or those that have dropped reading them, reading them again. its only released in graphic novel format, rather than single issues every few months. alternatively, its another earth for dc set in our world, not part of cannon regular dc universe, though it is another earth.

i dropped every superman title i read a few years ago because he'd grown stale and i think grant morrison was writing him, i would most certainly read this.

OH NOES HE HAS A HOODIE AND RED EYES!

I've been reading comics since 1972 - and in the case of comics - you CAN tell a book by it's cover - or in this case, by the image they've chosen to sell this new Superman. These images are the most important - It's doesn't matter if the hoodie is the uniform - it's there for a reason, to catch the eye of a certain type. Remember when they rebooted Supergirl a few years back - the cover was somewhat similar only she was holding a skateboard.

And PLEASE don't give me the "comics for people who don't read comics" -- BULL. People who don't read comics aren't going to buy and read this. Not a chance. Remember when they used to say that the Lois and Clark tv show was for

Superman has to be the most rebooted character in history now - seriously, his story has already been told countless times - and how many times do we need to see his costume bundled up like a sleeping bag, shoved in a corner somewhere so he can stare at it once and a while.

I've been reading comics since 1972 - and in the case of comics - you CAN tell a book by it's cover - or in this case, by the image they've chosen to sell this new Superman. These images are the most important - It's doesn't matter if the hoodie is the uniform - it's there for a reason, to catch the eye of a certain type. Remember when they rebooted Supergirl a few years back - the cover was somewhat similar only she was holding a skateboard.

The issue of whether or not Superman needs yet another retelling, this one seems to hold more to the core character than the quoted article would have you believe, and doesn't seem to exude an angsty, twilight-inspired Clark. Every comic reflects its time, whether in 1972 or 1994 (long hair) or 2010. The head down, heat vision warming up, opening the clothes image isn't even new.

83532-143621-michael-turner_super.jpg

And PLEASE don't give me the "comics for people who don't read comics" -- BULL. People who don't read comics aren't going to buy and read this. Not a chance.

so, everyone that's already not reading comic books wont pick them up if something peaks their interest, especially if its created purely to generate interest of the uninterested? i can understand that. exactly, not a chance.

... where's the blank stare emote?

i hope you understand since you've been reading since 1972 there's been a movement lately to get other people into comics again, not for those that for sake of geeking out , to get rid of the stereotype that every comic reader buys every issue and keeps them bagged and boarded tucked away never to be read, is a social re-tard that reaks of mt.dew, cheetos and inflated pretend LARP egos right?
this movement is becoming quite successful, i submit you check out
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110825-Shop-Ideas.html
and
http://www.acomicshop.com

they travel visiting other comic shops, they're on bleedingcool.com (with acomicshow that highlights weekly new releases and catches you up on current stories), they get readers out of their "ive been reading justice society america since 1972!" shells and into checking other comic companies out with something they would be interested in. i would know, because im one of those uninterested readers that picked up a book that looked interesting and they were there to walk me through it, and tell me it was ok.

here they are on youtube talking about earth one superman, this issue you all are eager to disapprove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXP59hcBD0c&feature=player_embedded

lois and clark was good. it was moonlighting meets superman, even when they married its where it jumped the shark, it was still good. it did get people reading superman, mullet and all. did you have a creative hand in it?

ew. micheal turner.

Last edited:
haha I know that Turner illustration is garbage; I just wanted to show that almost the exact "this looks cool" sort of image has been done time and time again. We're hardly seeing the kind of revision that the original posted article would have us believe.

I vaguely remember clear Coke or was it clear Pepsi?
Yup, Crystal Pepsi and New Coke, which tasted like Pepsi.

As to your point about the Superman character, what drives most people to him is that DESPITE all of these abilities, he does the morally right thing. He COULD be an indestructible, world crushing despot. He could be another Darkseid, but he does not. That is why the Superman character is so appealing, and honestly, so hard to write for. I dug Byrne's Superman over any of the others, but I've stopped reading a long time ago.

i had nothing to do with lois and Clark - and I'll give you season 1 - maybe even season 2, but after that the show was horrible. And my point about the show was - no matter the direction they approach a classic character, it's proven time and again the step back is always taken and those traits they were so eager to avoid in the beginning of the retake are embraced. By Season 2 Debbie Joy (I think she produced it) was forced to listen to the people watching - and those people were Superman fans - not the Moonlighting crowd - and they wanted Clark in the suit more and a bad guy a week.

I honestly have no idea what the comic market is now - only by what I hear from friends who work on movie translations - and I do know now movies sell the books for a short time - the readership spike Iron Man enjoyed after the second movie has already dipped almost all the way back down to where it was before even the first film. A retool or reboot is probably the most noncreative thing you can do - it's a way of saying, we have no good stories so let's go back and use the old ones - stories people already know and chances are were done better than the newest attempt. Superman's origin is not something, I believe, will get people to pick up a book. The Dark Knight Returns was something that even comic book readers were picking up. Watchmen. Days of Future Past (less than the first two - but people actively seek out the trade).

This new attempt at "making Superman fit in" reminds me of the whole Superman Red and Superman Blue garbage they tried a few years ago. Remember that? With all the lightning and stuff pouring out of him? Jezus.

And, yeah - that Turner artwork is horrible. It takes me back to the Image days and all of those Liefield clones. I really hated it when comic artwork turned all cartoony.

WTF is this
poo.gif
panel posted???

I agree with Westies 14 and Jet, I don't like Turner's style, I despite the women he drew - alway the same mascara smeared eyes, the same face... boooooring!

Why isn't Geoff Johns writing and Gary Frank drawing??!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back