BBC Sherlock Holmes on PBS

I had doubts too, but when I found out that the guys behind Doctor Who were running the show, I checked it out. It really is a great re-imagining of Holmes in the modern age.

I'm a big Sherlock geek and was pleasantly surprised how good this show was. Highly recommend giving it a try.

Wish there were more props in it though :)

Nick

"Sherlock Holmes has a website and texts furiously."

Gimme a break. :rolleyes

I'll pass.

The Wook

When Doyle wrote the original stories, Holmes was always pushing the envelope of the technology of the time. He wrote papers on the use of various sciences to solve crimes. He sent telegraphs all the time, took out ads in papers. I see the modern re-telling to be keeping in the spirit of the original...

That's kind of an oversimplification. Don't let that statement turn you off.
It's definitely done in the spirit of the original characters and stories.

I'm a Holmes fan myself. After hearing about how good this was from friends on Facebook I had to check it out myself. I watched the first episode streaming online and was hooked. It's REALLY good.

Unfortunately, I can't find PBS on my cable service so I'll either have to watch it on my computer or buy the Blu-ray when it comes out on Nov 9th (here in the US).
I'll probably do both.

Gimme a break. :rolleyes

I'll pass.

The Wook

Trust me, Wook, I had the same kind of skepticism when I first read that blurb. But then I watched it and loved every minute of it! Both Cumberbatch and Freeman are excellent as Holmes and Watson! :thumbsup

Unfortunately, I can't find PBS on my cable service so I'll either have to watch it on my computer or buy the Blu-ray when it comes out on Nov 9th (here in the US).
I'll probably do both.

I usually run up an antenna and find all the local PBS stations in better quality HD than I usually get from cable anyway.
Admittedly, I would definitely consider the Blu-ray myself too.

It was wonderful. It was modern without having to make Sherlock seem too modern. He had the same idiosyncrasies as Doyle wrote him. Sherlock knew he had a following since Watson was writing down his adventures and publishing them in the Strand magazine, so why not in modern times should he not have a website? Also who in today's world doesn't text, why wouldn't Sherlock? He wasn't terribly personable when he didn't want to be, so why not text? That way he doesn't have to interact face to face with people he doesn't want to and still can communicate. He also used his phone to check weather reports. Sherlock never liked filling his head with useless info, at least what didn't directly relate to detective work, so why not use your phone to look something up on the internet instead of trying to remember it. All of this seemed to make Sherlock more real in todays world but kept the spirit of the way the character was written.
I think they picked the right people to play the parts of Sherlock and Watson. Cumberbatch and Freeman were the perfect choice.

Basically , if your preconcieved ideas stopped you watching this series, you have misseda seriously good show.
Find it on catch up and watch it !!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back