The hobbit cast!

BIKERFETT

Sr Member
THought I would make a new discussion thread even though I was beat to it in the Del Toro one.

Warner Bros. has announced that Martin Freeman (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Tim in BBC's The Office), has been cast as Bilbo in The Hobbit. The band of dwarves that enlist Bilbo's help have been cast as well. Richard Armitage (MI-5) will play Thorin Oakenshield, Graham McTavish (24) will play Dwalin, John Callen has been cast as Oin, Stephen Hunter is Bombur while Mark Hadlow (King Kong) will play Dori. Peter Hambleton will play Gloin, while Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (Eastenders will play Kili and Fili.

"Despite the various rumours and speculation surrounding this role, there has only ever been one Bilbo Baggins for us," said Peter Jackson. "There are a few times in your career when you come across an actor who you know was born to play a role, but that was the case as soon as I met Martin. He is intelligent, funny, surprising and brave - exactly like Bilbo and I feel incredibly proud to be able to announce that he is our Hobbit."

Woo Hoo!

My number one choice since day one... since before day one!

The dude IS Bilbo.

Films_8-1_jpg_349261t.jpg

Nick

Pinch me...

They are really making this movie?

So NOW how many years will it be till we see it? 4? 5? LOL!

I totally see him as Bilbo though.

Hmmm, This movie is all over the news here, in the fact that it may be moved off-shore from New Zealand to the Uk (i think). Really causing a big stir here with Peter Jackson getting really annoyed & the unions, don't get me started lol!.
Weta has done tons of work already on props etc... & MataMata (the town where the hobbit houses are filmed, only 45mins from me) has the sets being built again.
Saw some awesome interview yesterday on a NZ news programme inside Weta's prop shop, some cooool stuff in there, drool.
Apparently we will know next Wednesday if the movie stays or goes off-shore. I really hope it's the former.
Stu

But if they go to England, wouldn't there be a higher chance of Christopher Lee reprising the role of Saruman? IIRC, didn't he say he didn't want to go to New Zealand to film again because he's too old?

They seemed to have much of the original cast "tentative" a while back, but I remember this time LAST YEAR, there was supposed to be some sort of casting announcement, but everything got held up by the problems MGM was having. Since there was no real green light, Del Torro bowed out, he didn't feel like wasting a year "waiting" for things to begin. I guess Jackson and crew slowly pushed on until they got the green light on the 15th.

Even Freeman said he couldn't do the Hobbit because of his shooting Shurlock , but that seems like they either worked around his schedule, or he was trying to throw people off until it was official.

Now that casting announcements are being made, I'm sure the rest of the previous cast will throw in their hat to reprise their roles. The only one that has stated he has no interest is Lee. He said the travel would be too much...unless they film him in the UK seperately, and add him into the group shots.

Not England, Mic, Eastern Europe - various countries have been making pitches for big productions. Lots of government incentives being thrown around, or so one hears.

I think the damage is already done. My money's on this going to the Czech Republic. Prague has good facilities, the language barrier is less of an issue than it was and the flight from LA is shorter than that to Wellington.

The union dispute was probably pretty much gold as far as the studio was concerned; all they needed was an excuse and we gave them one. They can still cite 'instability' if they want to, and it'd be credible enough.

Lovely. Sorry about that, NZ. Hope this doesn't mean we're not still friends. :cry

(I am trying to reverse-psych the universe here. Reverse-psych, universe!! You hear me?!)

Not England, Mic, Eastern Europe - various countries have been making pitches for big productions. Lots of government incentives being thrown around, or so one hears.

I think the damage is already done. My money's on this going to the Czech Republic. Prague has good facilities, the language barrier is less of an issue than it was and the flight from LA is shorter than that to Wellington.

The union dispute was probably pretty much gold as far as the studio was concerned; all they needed was an excuse and we gave them one. They can still cite 'instability' if they want to, and it'd be credible enough.

Lovely. Sorry about that, NZ. Hope this doesn't mean we're not still friends. :cry

(I am trying to reverse-psych the universe here. Reverse-psych, universe!! You hear me?!)

WB is very much talking about England - they want to use the huge stages at Pinewood and Leavesden that were recently vacated (after a decade) by Harry Potter. I'm sure they'll scout some locations throughout various eastern European countries if the production does move - Ireland feels very much like Middle Earth - but the production would be based in England. Jackson still hopes to keep it at home in New Zealand, but WB is nervous about the stability of the project there after all the unions have tried to do to it. Some unions are backing down now, but it may be too little, too late... It's a shame - New Zealand IS Middle Earth!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back