Judge Dredd Movie Version Lawgiver build from Playstation light gun

After my success (IMHO) with the Blade Runner conversion I have been inspired to do another toy mod from the well known Lawgiver rip-off the Predator Logic III lightgun for the playstation....

As before it's gonna go up on the blog before it goes up here

Baron Von Blog - I ARE NERD

but for those that are interested I'm doing a step by step...here's as it stands so far....

:angel

Okay so we all know that the Hollywood blockbuster, Stallone starring "adaptation" of the legend that is 2000ad's Judge Dredd was awful. Not just awful, terrible. Not just awful and terrible but an insulting, disgusting abuse of an icon, like someone telling you they made you a delicious sandwich but forgot to tell you, just before you tuck into it, that it's a ***** and bogey with moldy catterpillar infested lettuce and rancid catfood sandwich.

Okay I didn't enjoy the film.

However it did throw up a few nice ideas, the costumes looked pretty good, the Lawmaster bikes were pretty faithful if a bit wussy looking and the Lawgiver gun looked pretty cool too. Even though I'd rather construct a comic strip version of the Lawgiver gun I don't feel my skills are up to this task yet..maybe soon. SO...in the meantime I've come across this baby...

gun-nyko-supercobra.jpg

It's a playstation Logic III Predator light gun for zapping your telly with..but doesn't it have a striking resemblance to the Lawgiver mkII as wielded by Judge Spudd, Sylvester Stallone from the excellent movie adaptation..ahem..

2342581.jpg

There have been several attempts before to change this toy gun into the version seen above so I at least have some technical pointers (thanks Gav Jupp and Kevin Goldsmith) It has the capability to house the lights as long as I don't do anything silly during the build phase.

So I have begun..finding a Predator gun on fleabay for a fiver I have set about removing any excess lumps of plastic moulding to facilitate the first stages of conversion...

Image0376.jpg

It's made of quite durable plastic so it took a fair amount of time and elbow grease to remove the extra pieces. I've also removed all the internal electronics and movable parts to avoid damage during the carnage that usually occurs during the prep.

The next stage was to measure out templates for overlays that will eventually be cut from 1.5mm styrene plasticard and glued onto the base gun. I did this first of all with a ruler and eye but after much frustration decided that it would be better to scan the gun and create the templates using Photoshop...far more accurate. I hope.

screenshot.jpg

then to print the templates onto paper and test fit on the gun to see if or where I need to make adjustments

Image0382.jpg

The templates will be layered up from the bottom. So base layer to hide gaping holes, detail overlay etc...etc...

This part was fairly straightforward BUT on some of the templates I will need to make side walls to make it 'box' around the gun..I forget sometimes that it's a 3D object and get a bit carried away...here are the initial plasticard templates glued on...

b.jpg

a.jpg

so far so good....lets see what the following days/weeks/months/years/decades unveil in the process..

stay tuned for more updates as they happen...

Respect

P.

Pretty impressive. I didn't know they made a mock-up Dredd light gun for Playstation! It can be a cool MkIII or whatever itself.

I will be interested if you make a run out of it.

If you ever decided to make a run just of those templates..it'd make a great mod kit. I'd be first in line personally!

now there's a thought.

They are, at the time being, not science and do need to be "shaved" a bit here and there but perhaps with the learning curve of this build and some serious thought it'd be a great idea.

would you yourself prefer pre-cut styrene add-ons and pre constructed boxes or just the templates themselves so you could choose your own materials?

ie:- which stage templates do you consider worth paying hard earned for?

Respect
P.

Well, me personally, I'd like to get my hands on a set of pre-cut styrene. That's what i use mostly anyways, but cutting out templates has always been my achillies heel. But thinking in terms of future runs and marketing, you could offer both. Pre cuts could be Skill level 1, and the paper templates skill level 2.

Ug...i need to go into marketing.

Nice work,i've got at least 2 of these guns,so i might give it a go.Look around car boot sales i've picked them up from .50p.Gonna keep watching this

wow! That s awesome,what are you using to draw your plans up photoshop?

are you guys getting styrene at Hobby Lobby or from suppliers? (i ahve a different plan for a different gun but still larning the logisitcs ropes)

wow! That s awesome,what are you using to draw your plans up photoshop?

are you guys getting styrene at Hobby Lobby or from suppliers? (i ahve a different plan for a different gun but still larning the logisitcs ropes)

I don't think hobby lobby exists over here. I just got my sheets of styrene from ebay.

Yep the templates are drawn up using Photoshop but still need a touch of adjusting for real world use.

Respect
P.

Why not? I take it you have experience in said marketing field? - ps, gun's coming along amazingly well! Looks fantastic!

Used to have to liase with these sons of motherless daughters many careers ago. It seemed too much coincidence that all of the ones I met were hideous forms of humanity.

Thanks for the feedback! I gave one side a quick coat of primer to see any flaws in the templates...pics will follow when I've generated enough output to warrant a new blog

Respect
P.

It's a small world Baron,my missus knows you from your time in Akercocke,another metal head sci fi geek....cool.
She's Lou from Loucifer speaks by the way

It's a small world Baron,my missus knows you from your time in Akercocke,another metal head sci fi geek....cool.
She's Lou from Loucifer speaks by the way

Yay!

Hey man I remember, you were making e-11's weren't you? I remember talking to her about you some time ago!

Respect
P.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back