BttF3 Doc Brown's Custom Scoped Rifle

Weird though...

This image looks like a round barrel
Weld.jpg

And in this image it looks octagonal:

bttf3-doc-browns-custom-scoped-rifle-bttf-3-002.jpg-43027d1295216948

bttf3-doc-browns-custom-scoped-rifle-bttf-3-003.jpg-43029d1295217101

Nice work Sandman and thanks for reviving this thread. I agree with your findings.

PHA - I encountered the same conclusions when I was looking at the gun too...(sometimes the barrel looked round, other times octagonal). I just chalked it up to lighting...I do think the barrel is octagon-shaped and not round.

When I saw this thread pop up, I had to read through it. Great info so far. I've always thought Doc's rifle would be a cool prop to have. It doesn't look insanely complicated either like a few other BTTF projects. With all the showings of the movies lately it's reminded me what a cool prop it is.
From what I have been able to research, I have to agree that a Winchester Model 1866 'Yellowboy' was the base gun with some modifications, like the loop lever.
Has anyone been able to get a shot of the front site? I have the DVD set released a few years ago. Maybe this a excuse to go out and get the blue ray. I'll be watching this thread with much interest.

I found this thread last year, before I was a member. This is the thread that made me join. I am just now posting here tho as I am now ready to starting making this. I am a huge BTTF fan as well as a steampunker and this is great. Thanks for all the close-up pics.

Henry rifles still makes yellow boy's in a number of calibers. They cost more than the replicas, but will last forever and will be more fun when the build is done.

Sadly, it appears Henry doesn't make that specific model anymore, however, Uberti does. Granted it's an $1100 rifle, but a beautiful rifle at that. I'd love to see someone with he skills tackle this scope!

I remember someone made a 3D model of the scope, but can't find it. Right now I'm researching 44 caliber octagon barrels to see if it's posible to extend the rifle sothout having to buy two whole rifles. What will probably be the best and cheapest method is having a wooden octagon dowel rod made and painted. And also how to obtain the loop lever without going through tons of hoops.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back